Ultimate Beverage Package - Not allowed to purchase?

RJ23986

I have called NCL to purchase the Ultimate Beverage Package for my solo cruise on the Epic leaving Sunday (8th March) But apparently as I am under 25 I am not allowed to purchase this because it is also ''Spring Break''? I'm travelling from the UK and Spring Break makes no difference to me especially as I am travelling alone?! Is there anything I can do about this?

I have called NCL to purchase the Ultimate Beverage Package for my solo cruise on the Epic leaving Sunday (8th March) But apparently as I am under 25 I am not allowed to purchase this because it is also ''Spring Break''? I'm travelling from the UK and Spring Break makes no difference to me especially as I am travelling alone?! Is there anything I can do about this?

Nope.

It's due to US students going mad drinking, loads of videos on YouTube so originally NCL blocked all UBP in the US during the period, only after protest have they allowed it for over 25s this year.

While it seems punitive for you there will likely be many others under 25 who would be incredibly unruly with seemingly unlimited access to alcohol. Limiting their likely intake will lead to better behavior and hopefully a better cruise experience for you.

Am I still able to purchase alcohol at all, or am I in for a detox week?
You can pay per drink, as kgymn said, and there are several ways to pay less than the per-drink price, like beer buckets, bottle service (call and order ahead of time to avoid the auto-tip), Viva Vino packages, etc.

Thanks.

I'm not a raging alcoholic, just enjoy a beer or 2....

Doesn't sound like UBP would be worth it for you then. As someone suggested, buy the beer buckets. You can take the bucket back to your cabin & room steward will keep on ice.

While it seems punitive for you there will likely be many others under 25 who would be incredibly unruly with seemingly unlimited access to alcohol. Limiting their likely intake will lead to better behavior and hopefully a better cruise experience for you.

I don't think having to pay by the drink will prevent the people who are destined to be unruly from being unruly. There were no beverage packages years ago, and yet the spring breakers managed to be just as unruly. Limiting the package sales makes it seem like they are controlling things, but really it's up to servers to notice they have intoxicated passengers who should not be served. Unfortunately, that hits the servers in the wallet, so drunk people continue to get served.

I don't think having to pay by the drink will prevent the people who are destined to be unruly from being unruly. There were no beverage packages years ago, and yet the spring breakers managed to be just as unruly. Limiting the package sales makes it seem like they are controlling things, but really it's up to servers to notice they have intoxicated passengers who should not be served. Unfortunately, that hits the servers in the wallet, so drunk people continue to get served.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The UBP, were it available when I did spring break on a cruise, would have led to me drinking less in port and more on the ship. Which probably would have been more disruptive to other guests (if I were the rowdy drunk type.)

There's also that mental component of, even though you technically paid for it, the feeling that it is free. "Well, it's not going to cost me more to have a couple more drinks so I may as well!"

There are always going to be a few people who are going to drink what they want no matter how much it ends up costing them, but let's be honest your average college student is on a budget and can't afford to let their bar bill run away from them.

~Katy

Edited by kgymn