New to scooting - Question?

magicnelly

I am going on my first cruise renting a scooter and I have a question from you seasoned scooter users - I am renting my scooter from Special Needs at Sea and my weight is right under the maximum weight for the small scooter.

Should I just go ahead and rent the Heavy Duty scooter (DH thoughts) or is the lighter scooter easier to deal with? I will only be using it around the ship and into one or two ports. I just don't want to be stuck going up a hill in the port :p

Besides, gaining weight on a cruise is not unheard of:rolleyes:

Help would be appreciated!

I am going on my first cruise renting a scooter and I have a question from you seasoned scooter users - I am renting my scooter from Special Needs at Sea and my weight is right under the maximum weight for the small scooter.

Should I just go ahead and rent the Heavy Duty scooter (DH thoughts) or is the lighter scooter easier to deal with? I will only be using it around the ship and into one or two ports. I just don't want to be stuck going up a hill in the port :p

Besides, gaining weight on a cruise is not unheard of:rolleyes:

Help would be appreciated!

Much depends on cost difference and whether or not you have booked an Accessible Cabin. SpecialNeedsatSeas Heavy Duty Scooter will not fit through the door of a standard cabin and even if by chance it did it will take up most of the open floor space. The Heavy Duty Scooter definitely requires you to have booked an accessible cabin.

If you fall within the weight capacity of SpecialNeedsatSeas Standard Scooter than it if were me that would be the scooter to rent.

Note: Per SOLAS, Coast Guard and Cruise line Regulations scooters must be stored in the cabin and not left out in the hallways.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Much depends on cost difference and whether or not you have booked an Accessible Cabin. SpecialNeedsatSeas Heavy Duty Scooter will not fit through the door of a standard cabin and even if by chance it did it will take up most of the open floor space. The Heavy Duty Scooter definitely requires you to have booked an accessible cabin.

If you fall within the weight capacity of SpecialNeedsatSeas Standard Scooter than it if were me that would be the scooter to rent.

Note: Per SOLAS, Coast Guard and Cruise line Regulations scooters must be stored in the cabin and not left out in the hallways.

Yes, I do have an accessible cabin, thank goodness! The cost difference is not a big factor. I am just concerned about being able to handle the larger scooter onboard.

Thank you for your input!

A Heavy Duty Full-Size Scooter can be awkward to use on a cruise ship particularly if you have no experience ever using one. For one thing it requires a much larger turning radius and hallways aren't very wide. Even having a booked an accessible cabin depending on the hallway width you may can have difficulty turning into the cabin. It can be even more difficult if the room does not have an automatic door opener. Yes not all accessible cabins are equipped with an automatic door opener.

Secondly a Full Size Heavy Duty can be difficult maneuvering through the maze of tables in the buffet, main dining room and other on-board eateries. You will have to check your dining table location once on board as it probably will have to be changed into to be a table that is more accessible with a Heavy Duty Full-Size Scooter.

If your weight really does not require the need for a full-size heavy duty than as stated before you're best to rent SpecialNeedsatSea's standard scooter. A big plus of renting the standard scooter is that it can be broken down to fit into the trunk of a Taxi. The scooter is the following link is that same series as SpecialNeedsatSeas standard scooter Fast forward to the 54 sec mark to see a real-time.

Edited by xxoocruiser

IMHO IF you have an Handicap Accessible stateroom go for the larger one. If your table isn't really approachable with the scooter ask the Matre' d to change your table. The larger ones aren't that hard to maneuver. They usually have bigger batteries and a longer cycle (distance). IF you've never used a scooter then I would suggest to use the control to limit the speed (usually a round knob with a rabbit near it). And just play with the scooter for a day. Usually the 2nd day in the Carribean is a sea day. Take it on the main deck and practice.

Oh ya, the larger scooters come with bigger wheels. That helps when you are disembarking @ a port to do some tourisy things.

HTH

Edited by ProfessorEFFE

Hi! You said that the larger wheeled scooter is better for disembarking. How have you done this process ... ride down at a very slow speed or let a crew member freewheel it down and walk down the gangway?

As previously advise in the other thread Full Size and Bariatric Scooters have a higher ground clearance and generally do not pose any difficulty.

It's extremely rare that a Full Size and or Bariatric Scooter has to be free wheeled down/up the ramp. However it can occur depending on the incline of gangway based on water tide levels and the level of the departure deck. Everyone's experience is different from cruise to cruise, ship to ship and port to port. You'll have to make the determination the day of the specific port. The crew will advise you as to the best way as safety is the main concern.

Edited by xxoocruiser

As previously advise in the other thread Full Size and Bariatric Scooters have a higher ground clearance and generally do not pose any difficulty.

It's extremely rare that a Full Size and or Bariatric Scooter has to be free wheeled down/up the ramp. However it can occur depending on the incline of gangway based on water tide levels and the level of the departure deck. Everyone's experience is different from cruise to cruise, ship to ship and port to port. You'll have to make the determination the day of the specific port. The crew will advise you as to the best way as safety is the main concern.

Thank you for your input. I think I will go with the full sized one. I am anxious about it all but I can do this, lol. Having people out there who understand certainly help :)

BTW, got my brand new handicapped license plate today - you have to find the good things about all this where you can, lol.

Hi! You said that the larger wheeled scooter is better for disembarking. How have you done this process ... ride down at a very slow speed or let a crew member freewheel it down and walk down the gangway?

The only difficult part of the gangway is if it's at an acute angle. I would NEVER freewheel a scooter whilst I was on it. You have to go to the rear of a scooter and mechanically disengage the wheels. That's done by either pulling or twisting a lever to do so. It's really intended to maneuver the scooter in tight spaces (like in the state room). I had difficulty a couple of times but the ships company was right there to help at the gangway.

The scooters have their own built in breaking system. There are no levers to pull to stop just let off of the accelerator.

HTH

Edited by ProfessorEFFE

In September, my husband and I are going to take our first cruise. This year we both turn 70 and we are having our 20th anniversary in September. We are going to try a short 5 night cruise to the Bahamas out of Jacksonville to see how we adapt to sea travel. I am not able to walk long distances or stand for long, so I will be renting a scooter. How difficult is it to get taxis to accommodate a scooter for destinations that are not close to the port so a bit of a walk for my husband? I would rather not go to the expense of tours.

In September, my husband and I are going to take our first cruise. This year we both turn 70 and we are having our 20th anniversary in September. We are going to try a short 5 night cruise to the Bahamas out of Jacksonville to see how we adapt to sea travel. I am not able to walk long distances or stand for long, so I will be renting a scooter. How difficult is it to get taxis to accommodate a scooter for destinations that are not close to the port so a bit of a walk for my husband? I would rather not go to the expense of tours.

We're renting a scooter for our second time this May, the first time for a cruise. I don't know about the heavy duty scooters, but the typical scooter breaks down so it can go into the truck of most cars, with the heaviest piece being about 30 lbs. On a non-level surface, I found reconnecting the front and back sections to be really difficult, so after struggling twice, I just left those sections connected and between the two of us, had no problem getting it into the truck of our car.

When I asked about dis-assembly for the cruise, Special Needs at Sea emailed very clear instructions. Since it sounds like this is your first time using a scooter. It may be helpful to stop in at a local medical supply store that rents them. We did this before deciding on our first scooter rental and it was really helpful.

Happy anniversary! A cruise is a great way to celebrate.

There are only 3 taxis on the entire island that have wheelchair lifts. Therefore if you require the use of full size or bariatric scooter you will have to do some research to pre-book one of the wheelchair accessible taxis well in advance of the cruise. You will not be able get one if not pre-booked the day you arrive in port.

If your weight and height allows you to book either a SpecialNeedsatSea Standard Scooter or Carevactions light-weight or Mid-Size scooter these scooters are part of the Pride Go Go Series that can be broken down to fit into the trunk of a car . Fast forward to the 54 sec mark of this link

to see how the scooter breaks down.