Odd Question about Cape Liberty

I live a little more than a hour away from Cape Liberty and was hoping to get up there to see Quantum depart one day in April. Does anyone know for sure if the teardrop memorial at the port is open even when there is a ship docked? I figured since its a public memorial, it would be open? I just don't want to get all the way up there to find out that they won't let me in.

Thanks for any help.

Even if the gate is locked you can still see it (just can't walk up to it and read the names on the granite base). It is surrounded by a chain link fence where they lock the gate overnight.

Edited by BobKat406

• 5 weeks later...

Are you able to view the Teardrop Memorial after you drop your bags off at the pier? Or, are you then considered 'inside security'?

I was there last year during this time while under construction and I was unable to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Security is done once you enter the building.

There are people directing traffic so I don't know if they will allow you to walk between cars to get to the memorial. If they don't deem it a safely hazard you are free to go park your car and walk past the ship to the Tear Drop Memorial. There is a lot of congestion in the area trying to get to the drop off point so if you decide to walk over to the Tear Drop Memorial just be mindful of the cars around you.

The two photo's below were taken when the ship first arrived in Nov. 2014. It was not during a normal embarkation day.

The photo below was taken while I was standing in the parking lot for the Tear Drop Memorial….behind the black wrought iron gate is the memorial. You can try and go here first but I don't know how difficult it will be to try and exit since you will have to drive past all the traffic coming in.

photo-3.jpg

Below is a full length photo of the ship docked in Cape Liberty. Luggage is dropped off near the mid to forward section of the ship at the curb. Parking is out of view across the street past the aft section of the ship.

1932672_10152863528970148_1484542592572323586_o.jpg

If you look at the second photo ...traffic approaches the ship from the lane in the lower left corner, the lane then loops around to a curb along side the ship - this is where you drop off your luggage and any passengers. (The lane goes in front of the black vehicles and bus in the photo that are parked perpendicular to the ship.) The entrance to the terminal is right past where you drop off your luggage. The lane exits towards the back of the ship where you proceed to the cruise parking lot.

Edited by starfish216

The new terminal is along side the ship. No more need for shuttle buses.

Thanks for the great information. The ship looks huge! My fault for not mentioning I'm taking a taxi. But since I can drop off the luggage outside and walk over, I will do that. You couldn't do that last year (at least I couldn't) Dodging traffic is something I do for a living so no problem there!

Thanks again.

It's completely different with the Quantum….no need for shuttle buses.

Never paid attention to whether or not you are stopped from walking over to the Tear Drop Memorial…..it will be more of a safety issue because of the traffic coming in. If you go to the right when you drop luggage off it's toward the memorial, you go to the left to enter the building.

Hope it works out for you.

Enjoy your cruise!