Adding It Up (Cancelled Sensation)

JoeTN

Absolutlely amazing. You are concerned that your vacation may cost you an extra few hundred dollars. My suggestion is spend the five days voluteering at the Astro Dome. Not only will it cost less but when you are finished, you will feel better and come to understand that there are many many people in this country, that thanks to a terrible school system and a drum beat of retoric that they are victims from birth, that have little chance of ever being able to take a five day vacation. Suck it up and be very glad that you can even consider taking a vacation.

What I have understood from reading these posts is; some of you have had your vacations cancelled, changed and disrupted. Some of you feel that you can never have such a vacation again in your entire lifetime. Some of you cannot possibly fathom how life (and Carnival) could have dealt you such a cruel and unfair blow.

I have also noticed that a lot of you people that have had these crushing occurences scar your lives forever, have not listened to anyone on this board trying to reason with you.

So to all the people out there that are just voices crying in the wilderness; don't waste your time.

And to all of you that feel you have been misused and cheated beyond belief, I say--- "Life's a bitch and then you die."

As the victims of Katrina will attest to.

celtic

I have been reading on other vacation boards (not cruises) that people are feeling so bad about vacationing right now as their fellow americans have been dealt such a blow to their lives, that even though they are not at all affected personally, because of their bad feelings and guilt, they are cancelling their vacations and donating the money or a portion of it to the red cross! all I could say was WOW, wasn't that a wonderful contributation that they made.

Actually, i can sympathize with the cruisers in slight way. We were scheduled to cruise on a Cunard ship for our honeymoon in 1983 and then they needed it for the falklands (geez, i'm dating myself), so we chose the norway instead. It will work itself out and if it doesn't, you still have your families, your homes and jobs; in other words, it's not the end of the world. I think the shock of having plans changed so suddenly on you and being out of your control is what's most frustrating. Good Luck to you guys and God Bless the hurricane victims.

What I have understood from reading these posts is; some of you have had your vacations cancelled, changed and disrupted. Some of you feel that you can never have such a vacation again in your entire lifetime. Some of you cannot possibly fathom how life (and Carnival) could have dealt you such a cruel and unfair blow.

I have also noticed that a lot of you people that have had these crushing occurences scar your lives forever, have not listened to anyone on this board trying to reason with you.

So to all the people out there that are just voices crying in the wilderness; don't waste your time.

And to all of you that feel you have been misused and cheated beyond belief, I say--- "Life's a bitch and then you die."

As the victims of Katrina will attest to.

celtic

Yours should, but undoubtedly won't, be the last word.

that stinks! We were scheduled on Glory for Jan 14-21, but then a couple months later they decided to dry dock Jan 7-21. But, they gave us the exact same price leaving on Miracle on Jan 15. Wonder why they did for us, but won't do it for people in your situation. Seems only fair to me. sorry. :(

I have been "biting" my tongue for the past couple of days after reading these "flaming" posts. So many of you that are on your collective "high" horses about how selfish people are about losing their cruises need to take a step backwards! I have a family reunion cruise scheduled on the Sensation for March 11, 2006. The Sensation is scheduled to be "leased" until March 2. My plans are up in the air for now..I am not being offered a 100.00 per person credit as of now because my cruise has not been cancelled as of yet but chances are that it will be..Let's be realistic. My heart bleeds for these people, in fact, My DH and DD will be serving breakfast to 600 victims tomorrow morning with our church. I have donated time, resources, whatever I can...

My question is this...Why did Carnival take three ships from the "South" instead of taking one from Florida, one from the East coast, and one from NOLA. Instead those of us that live within driving distance to Galveston or NOLA have been "hit" the hardest with cancellations and an attitude from Carnival that they don't care if we have to pay more. As I said before, I am trying to be proactive and reschedule my cruise but at a MUCH greater cost than my original. I am an exclusive Carnival cruiser but I am really disappointed in how they are handling this situation with thier customers. We have seen thread after thread about Carnival's poor customer service but now all the sudden they are the heroes? I commend them for doing what they are doing and I am happy to give up the Sensation is that is what is necessary, but Carnival needs to treat their customers with a little more respect or they may have many fewer customers when this is all over. Oh, maybe they are counting on the "good PR" they are recieving through the news media to get new cruisers.. I OWN A BUSINESS..IT IS MUCH EASIER TO KEEP THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE HAPPY THAN TO FIND NEW ONES AND KEEP REPLACING THEM.

Also, I see that those of you that are doing the most "flaming" are people that haven't had their upcoming cruises affected or you cruise out of ports that aren't affected...I just wonder if your cruises were affected or going to be affected if you would still be on your "high" horses..Go ahead and FLAME away, I am expecting it.:( There's my rant for the day.

I am on the same cruise as you are and yes it is frustrating and stressful not knowing what is going to happen and not being able to take any action because things are up in the air. I hope the port is open by then, I hope the hotels I already have booked are open and ready for business, but the chances are slim.

I think you should start looking for something else now, I know I am and I have flights and hotels booked in NOLA that I am going to have to cancel and pay cancellation fees for.

All that being said, I would not have a problem if the Sensation is still required at that time (and the contract is rumered to have a three month extension clause).

that stinks! We were scheduled on Glory for Jan 14-21, but then a couple months later they decided to dry dock Jan 7-21. But, they gave us the exact same price leaving on Miracle on Jan 15. Wonder why they did for us, but won't do it for people in your situation. Seems only fair to me. sorry. :(

I'm not sure, just a guess, but it seems alot of people are trying to go from the 3 ships to the Conquest or other larger ships, 7 day cruises from 4/5 day cruises, so that may be part of the problem... I have looked at some of the lateral cruises and the prices seem very similar... so hopefully some can get on those... I'm glad you were able to get re-booked. I do hope everyone is able to get booked on something, but with probably 200K people displaced from cruises, I would think it might be tough :(

Well I did some searching and I am not sure how much you spent or getting back from Carnival but I found on the Elation on Oct 30 7 days for 449.00 inside for the military price Iternary is Galveston, Progresso, Cozumel, Belize City. On the Vicotry Oct 30 inside and outside cabins are both 529 and go San Juan, St Thomas St Maarteen.

I hope this help and I know you are traveling alone so the supplement is 150% but this might not work but if does great!

Paul:)

Okay, I'm sorry, but I've been reading these types of threads for the last few days and first I thought they were jokes meant to get a rise out of people, but some appear to be serious.

Is anyone else absolutely disgusted by this "Yeah, I know hundreds of thousands of people lost everything, and there are thousands dead, bodies floating through the streets, etc...BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?" attitude?

Sorry you're so incovenienced by all of this and may have to wait a few weeks or maybe months. or it costs you a couple dollars more. If you're looking for sympathy, at least from those of us with actual feelings, forget it. You're just being selfish.

Thank you! Sadly, I was wondering how long it would take before the complaining started. Must really suck to be "inconvenienced" by mean ol' Carnival, who should have "handled it better."

My firm has an office in NO. 75 people--fortunately, we've heard from all but one of them. However, they've all lost everything they have--probably forever. Most will probably never be able to go back. My good friend has in-laws there--he & his wife still haven't heard from them & are literally almost out of their minds with worry. Dead bodies literally floating in the streets; people dying. Sorry, but it's hard to be real sympathetic for people who've been "inconvenienced" because they can't get on the nice, clean, air-conditioned cruise ship they wanted.

First I would like to say, I don't have a cruise affected by this situation so I don't know how I would react. I would like to think and deep down believe that I would be understanding, but since I'm not faced with that disappointment I just can't say. But, here is some food for thought:

Since you are eligible for a military discount that must mean you are in reserves or some branch of the military. That means you are probably well trained in search and rescue and recovery. Spending your vacation volunteering would be extremely rewarding so maybe you could seriously consider doing that. I know it's disappointing not to be able to take your cruise, but what better way to compensate for that disappointment than by using your expertise to help out?

I know many people feel like Carnival has done a poor job handling this situation as do many people feel like the Federal Government and FEMA are doing a poor job in handling the rescue process. And those people are right on both accounts. But, thankfully, neither have ever had a disaster of this magnitude to deal with before. And, yes, they should have all done a better job in doing their jobs. But, there will be plenty of time for finger pointing when people are rescued and homes are rebuilt and the dead is buried. Life will go on. But for the immediate future, Americans need to be as united as they were after 9/11.

Goin Cruisn, I have to ask, Are you a travel agent? I've just noticed your posts on many different threads and you get to take a lot of cruises that are business trips. What an awesome job.

Goin Cruisn, I have to ask, Are you a travel agent? I've just noticed your posts on many different threads and you get to take a lot of cruises that are business trips. What an awesome job.

LOL, no.. not a TA. My father and I own a business which is a member of a national organization made up of our peers, we meet several times a year, our first "cruise meeting" was to be this February... I fought really hard for it, and of course provided them with alot of research (CC info, LOL), so it was a little disappointing... but we will go somewhere else and it will be okay. We do cruise in October with a CC group, and that is our "board of directors" meeting :D

" there are many many people in this country, that thanks to a terrible school system and a drum beat of retoric that they are victims from birth, that have little chance of ever being able to take a five day vacation. Suck it up and be very glad that you can even consider taking a vacation."

Sounds a little extreme. I can't imagine any of the CC members posting here don't have deep feelings for the victims of the hurricane. But they are scrambling to see what they can do with their cancellations. This IS a website for cruisers. Maybe the people who operate this site should start a NEW category for those who wish to make political statements.

Joe, you qualify for the military discount right??? Did the price you booked include that??

Carnival is not giving the Military rate. I was on Elation now going on Conquest had to pay $542.00 more before the 100.00 per person discount. They are selling at todays rate only.

Forgive me if this comes across the wrong way - but with everything that is happening I can't for the life of me see how an employer would say NO to someone wanting to change their vacation dates. I am not blasting the posters - only thinking that since is this the weekend how can anyone be so sure that their employer will not be more compassionate about their employees misfortune. It's not like these people have a choice - their vacation just isn't there.

Or, in this case, I work in retail, barely making enough to cruise as it is, and work every saturday and sunday, and I know for a fact when I can and can't take a vacation thanks to the gigantic "Vacation/Time Off" calendar we have. I'm a member of managment, so I can't just re-arrange my schedule.. I have to schedule around 18 employees off days, time off, vacation time, etc, so I know exactly how far out I have to request time off.

Not all of us work plushy Mon-Fri, 9-5 jobs. I'm not flaming you at all, but after reading all the posts about how Im basically an insensative prick, I wonder how many of those posters have 10 cruises under thier belts already, or are working that plush 9-5 job. I make $9 dollars an hour. Sorry I'm not as rich as you, maybe thats why I'm less sensative to others needs, as you all put it.

Absolutlely amazing. You are concerned that your vacation may cost you an extra few hundred dollars. My suggestion is spend the five days voluteering at the Astro Dome. Not only will it cost less but when you are finished, you will feel better and come to understand that there are many many people in this country, that thanks to a terrible school system and a drum beat of retoric that they are victims from birth, that have little chance of ever being able to take a five day vacation. Suck it up and be very glad that you can even consider taking a vacation.

I bet you've been on 10 cruises too, and make a helluva lot more then $9 an hour. That "few hundread dollars" is a helluva lot of money to some people. Get off your horse buddy

*takes his thread back from the hi-jackers*

So, anyway, I'll do a bit of flaming first:D

I don't come to CC to hear about hurricane katrina, I came here to read about cruises, and finally asked a question relating to my own cruising. Do you people think I'm stupid ? I watch TV, I know whats happening in New Orleans. As for all your comments, you can all take them and go to hell. I'm about to be 21 years old, never in my life been on vacation, on the other hand, I have spent 3 years on Active Duty in the Army, and went through hell several times. I've also been medically discharged, so no, I won't be going to use my search and rescue training, with me knee, I'd need rescue after a few hours. I noted from your signatures, I've yet to see one person criticize me who had an affected cruise. On that note, most of the ones criticizing are booked on the much more expensive cruise lines. Says something. Lets get down to it, I'm poor, ok ? Got no problem with it, and I donated $100 to the Red Cross. Obviously to some of you, thats nothing, to me, thats a HELLUVA lot of money. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let any one of you tell me a damn thing about what I should do instead of worrying about my cruise. You can all go f*** yourselves. Go find my other posts on this forum. Oh ya, the one were a lot of the same people from this thread were whining about how long it all took, I don't appreciate any of ya'lls bit**ing, caus, most of you didn't do your research. Theres very good reasons why 100,000 people didn't rush into New orleans after the hurricane, and theres very good reasons why the President can't order active duty troops into New Orleans (reason I'd give my life for mind you..and backed that up in the Army) Anyway, go read that thread to humble yourselves.

For those of you who answered my post, thank you. I took the advice into consideration, and, rather then cancel everything and donate a years savings to the Red Cross, I've dug down deep, put a little more on my credit card then I should've, and now I'll be sailing on the Fantasy out of Port Canavaral on Oct 30th for a 4 night Bahamas Cruise. Cost me a good deal more, since I didn't get my discounts, and I had to pay more then I had on Sensation, and caus I'm a single occupant, but, it's all gonna work out, now I just need to research my ports a bit.

Thanks again for everyone who gave me advice, and for those of you who think I'm so horrible, I hope the thought of my cruising and not doing something "better" makes you sick to your stomach.

Joe, I am glad you were able to work something out and you'll be able to enjoy your first cruise... I'm sorry there was so much frustration behind it... put all of that behind you and get ready for the experience of a lifetime! I hope you will love cruising as much as many of us do... I am disappointed you won't be on the Sensation, she was my first cruise and she holds a special place for me... but I know you will have a great time on any ship!!

Joe, I am glad you found something that fits for you...and I think it is shameful that Carnival is not letting you use your military discount. I hope you have a great cruise........and I hope all the "holier than thou's" learn to sit back and think before becoming so judgemental!

I personally think it is time for the moderators to step into these threads and remind everyone of the rules of the forum....and delete the personal attacks.

And Joe - thank you for your service to our country - I salute you!

First, my heart goes out to all who have suffered in New Orleans and Mississippi, and I feel for the people who have had to make changes on their cruise without much compensation for their troubles(yes, I know that they in no way compare to the hurricane victims).

I only hope that Carnival will in someway pay the crew who are going to be working onboard during the relief effort. These crew members as we all know have many people depending on the income (tips) that they receive from paying passangers, and the victims who will be finding refuge on these ships will not be able, nor should they have to, tip. The ripple effect keeps expanding.

Archived