Wheelchair via Special Needs Group - NCL Getaway

ejkmomco

Have any of you out there used Special Needs Group (SNG) to rent a wheelchair for an NCL cruise?

My questions:

1. Were you happy with the wheelchair Special Needs Group provided? We are renting a companion/transfer chair for my mom.

2. I requested picking up at the NCL/SNG kiosk. I understand this kiosk is pretty soon after you go through security.

If you did this, was the wheelchair at the kiosk when you checked in (vs. having it put in your room)?

3. My concern is this: Special Needs Group won't give me a time they will deliver the wheelchair to the kiosk. We plan to be at the port around 11:00am et.

Thank you for any help with this!

Have any of you out there used Special Needs Group (SNG) to rent a wheelchair for an NCL cruise?

My questions:

1. Were you happy with the wheelchair Special Needs Group provided? We are renting a companion/transfer chair for my mom.

2. I requested picking up at the NCL/SNG kiosk. I understand this kiosk is pretty soon after you go through security.

If you did this, was the wheelchair at the kiosk when you checked in (vs. having it put in your room)?

3. My concern is this: Special Needs Group won't give me a time they will deliver the wheelchair to the kiosk. We plan to be at the port around 11:00am et.

Thank you for any help with this!

Companion/Transfer chairs are fairly inexpensive and the cost of the rental is almost equivalent to buying a new one. Therefore you should consider just purchasing one and taking it with you rather than renting. It's also important to note that companion/transfer chairs can be quite difficult to push through out the ship and in port. Transfer chairs are designed for short usage such as to transfer someone from their house to the car. Transfer chairs are not designed for extended use. Thus the name "Transfer Chair". It's recommended that you consider renting a full size wheelchair instead.

Whether you rent through CareVacations or SpecialNeedsatSeas the rental contract specifies that the item will be delivered by 2:00 PM. Though items are often delivered to kiosk before that time SpecialNeedsatSeas generally won't confirm any time other than what's stated in the rental contract.

Have you considered just using the Cruise Lines wheelchair assistance at the port to board the ship and have the equipment delivered to the stateroom instead ? The cruise line will generally wheel the individual to a location on the ship such as the buffet area. Note the chair will not be left as it's needed to assist others boarding. Than after lunch someone in your group can go an check the room for the wheelchair.

Edited by xxoocruiser

A couple of years ago we were in the medical equipment store looking for something else and we noticed how inexpensive and light the new travel wheelchairs were compared to the one we bought for our honeymoon back in 2001. I believe it was on sale for under $200.00. Look around because as the previous poster has said, it's cheaper to buy one then to rent and that way, you'll always have it.

A couple of years ago we were in the medical equipment store looking for something else and we noticed how inexpensive and light the new travel wheelchairs were compared to the one we bought for our honeymoon back in 2001. I believe it was on sale for under $200.00. Look around because as the previous poster has said, it's cheaper to buy one then to rent and that way, you'll always have it.

Though the pros of a Transport Chair is that it's cheaper and lighter than a Standard Wheelchair some of the cons to consider are :

• It's not designed for extended use thus the name "Transport Chair"
  • It has smaller wheels that could break going over cobblestones and uneven pavements which one more often than experiences at most of the ports of call on a cruise .
  • It's difficult to push over the cobblestones and uneven pavement often experienced in the ports of call on cruise.
  • Can be difficult to push over the various floorings through out the ship.
  • Requires someone other than the person seated to push it at all times.
  • Does not offer the impendence that a standard wheelchair provides. Even if the person seated cannot operate a standard wheelchair , a standard wheelchair is less stressing to the individual that has to push it all the time than a transport chair.

• 2 weeks later...

The kiosks in the terminal are a recent thing so I cannot talk about them. However, I can tell you that after two cruises back to Miami I saw the Special Needs van pull up to the ship at about 10 am. I do not know if that is the norm. Also, some of their wheelchairs fit very large people. Make sure that you give them your mother's accurate weight and height. I prefer Special Needs over Care Vacations because SN includes insurance in the rate. At CV it is extra.

We were able to purchase a lightweight wheelchair last summer for just under $100, with the large rear wheels to allow DD move herself. It is not one meant to be used for years and years, but as our need was for just a few months, it was perfect.

Also check with thrift stores. I've seen them there locally. You might also look on Amazon.

Edited by Algebralovr

We were able to purchase a lightweight wheelchair last summer for just under $100, with the large rear wheels to allow DD move herself. It is not one meant to be used for years and years, but as our need was for just a few months, it was perfect.

Also check with thrift stores. I've seen them there locally. You might also look on Amazon.

All wheelchairs are not equal. Weight capacity limits apply.

By the time a wheelchair has been donated to a thrift store all the manufacturer tags denoting the weight capacity may have been removed. Purchasing a wheelchair with the unknown weight capacity places the end user in harms way for the chair collapsing when in use if the individual is over the weight capacity. Therefore it's not recommended that one purchase from a thrift store unless the weight capacity is clearly marked somewhere on the wheelchair and the markings are from the manufacturer not a hand written tag by the previous owner.