Alternatives to MSC?

Skipper Tim

I know a fair few MSC loyal guests have been alienated by recent MSC pricing especially in the UK and especially solo travellers. We like the 'product' but the fare feels no longer justifiable.

I have been looking at alternatives for those, like me, who want a different culture, i.e. not predominantly American or British, aboard so that the ship becomes very much part of the cultural experience.

I also love repositioning cruises and parts of the World I would not normally think of visiting.

There is Pullmantur - Spanish-based and owned by Royal Caribbean now.

Croisieres de France - owned by Pullmantur but selling mostly to France.

Costa - MSC's competitor in Italy and owned by U.S. giant Carnival.

From my signature, you will see I have voted with my feet. What other non Anglo-American lines may be worth a go? Views and thoughts?

Costa are good, provided you haven't paid a small fortune. I found more similarities to MSC than differences (apart from the ships decor which is somewhat different!) I wouldn't mind trying Aida or TUI, although unlike MSC/Costa there seems to be no provision for non-english speakers at all. I don't much help with survivingC but when there isn't an english version of the website it could be challenging, but I exciting!

Costa are good, provided you haven't paid a small fortune. I found more similarities to MSC than differences (apart from the ships decor which is somewhat different!) I wouldn't mind trying Aida or TUI, although unlike MSC/Costa there seems to be no provision for non-english speakers at all. I don't much help with survivingC but when there isn't an english version of the website it could be challenging, but I exciting!

David, It is exciting when one has to rely upon Google Translate to get through a cruise booking and still then, not really comprehend what one has booked. It is most encouraging for the voyage ahead.

Like you, I am not too sure about Aida. I may be as happy staying at home and watching the 'Yesterday' channel at weekends.

Edited by Skipper Tim

There is also the luxury French lines ant that are more your large yacht experience and there is also,the other Spanish operator Ibero Cruceros.

I've more or less completely given up on MSC, even if I can find a cruise they'll let me book as a solo, the prices are far too steep now. Cancelled the June Divina cruise and going to Crete for a week instead.

I don't like CoSta's newer ships but they have good prices and often reduce single supplement to 30%. The Neo rNge look lovely and I thought the Stlantica was a lovely ship so I'd happily sail on her or her sister the Mediterranean again.

Might sail MSC again some time in the future, but the UK office would need to reverse their anti solo policy before that happens.

There is also the luxury French lines ant that are more your large yacht experience and there is also,the other Spanish operator Ibero Cruceros.

I've more or less completely given up on MSC, even if I can find a cruise they'll let me book as a solo, the prices are far too steep now. Cancelled the June Divina cruise and going to Crete for a week instead.

I don't like CoSta's newer ships but they have good prices and often reduce single supplement to 30%. The Neo rNge look lovely and I thought the Stlantica was a lovely ship so I'd happily sail on her or her sister the Mediterranean again.

Might sail MSC again some time in the future, but the UK office would need to reverse their anti solo policy before that happens.

wow your signature has so many msc cruises, that I need to ask you..... as English speakers was in difficult for the shows,games ,trivia etc on board? Are these all done in Italian/Spanish? would you say msc caters to families. My three kids 18,21,and 23 do not want to be sitting in the cabin at night with nothing to do. sounds crazy right on a cruise ship:)

Edited by xcomet

wow your signature has so many msc cruises, that I need to ask you..... as English speakers was in difficult for the shows,games ,trivia etc on board? Are these all done in Italian/Spanish? would you say msc caters to families. My three kids 18,21,and 23 do not want to be sitting in the cabin at night with nothing to do. sounds crazy right on a cruise ship:)

The shows require no Language skills as they are all visual, and involve sing/dance production shows; singing dance routines; operatic nights (Italian night); along with "cirque du soleil" style acrobatic routines. The occasional mime artist and sand drawing artist (sounds dull but was brilliant)

SAND DRAWING ARTIST CLIP

[YOUTUBE]yy0Lr4oW7pQ[/YOUTUBE]

Your kids are adults, not kids in MSC's eyes, so should be able to sort themselves out, especially on the larger Fantasia class ships.

There will be live music in 6 or 7 bars/lounges along with the night club and other nightlife and games venues.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Depends where you are thinking of cruising with MSC. There will obviously be more English speakers on sailings out of Miami than in other locations.

As Pete says, shows never use language as there are too many different ones to cater for onboard.

Quizzes and games are conducted in the languages of those taking part. They usually have 5(sometimes 6) official languages onboard. They will conduct bingo, games etc in all 5 unless they only have Italian and Germans talking part then they will reduce to those languages. A lot of the pool games don't require much spoken languages.

One of the main reasons I like MSc onboard experience (as compared to recent policies of the UK sales policies) is the multi cultural and lingual aspect. I never want to go somewhere where English is the only language being spoken, for me it is part of the fun of going overseas. On one European sailing we only had 10 of us out of around 1600 who spoke English as a first language. Regardless me is, daily programmes will be in English and many ofmthe crew use English as a common language to communicate with each other.

All your children are considered adults outside of the US. MSC has a mixed age group, tends to be a bit younger outside of the few US sailings I've been on.

Ibero Cruceros are no more. They have been technically absorbed into Costa but both ships have gone elsewhere.

What made you cancel The Divina? I thought you were very brave booking that cruise in the first place given everything we have read. You cannot go wrong with Crete. East or West?

Join us on the Zenith! You will need a good chunk of Avios to get to Caracas though. I bagged the last Royal Suite so I have the 'party room' this time.

Edited by Skipper Tim