End of April Douro River Cruise

plimsol

We will celebrating a special milestone wedding anniversary the end of April 2016. To mark this event, we have been perusing a river cruise. Several years ago, we river cruised from Rotterdam to Strasbourg and also Vienna to Amsterdam. Both journeys were in the summer months. We are considering the Douro River region in Portugal but would like to have some feedback what to expect at this time of year. Also, any other itinerary suggestions would be most welcome, Black Sea, Mekong Delta, etc.

Check the Douro itinery carefully and use Google maps.

We (four of us) went on the Douro last year with Viking -- but as far as I could see all the main river cruise companies do the same.

The Douro is absolutely beautiful, narrow and rocky in places, clothed with vineyards clinging to narrow terraces for a long way, and in places you seem to be remote from anywhere. At the furthest point you moor at the border with Spain and you can stroll out across the bridge into Spain.

But

The navigable river is quite short and the holiday starts with a few nights in Lisbon - presumably because that's where longhaul international flight arrive.

Lisbon is a long way from the Douro and its many hours tedious coaching from Lisbon to Porto, where the boat is.

Too many meals were taken off the boat, and not too such a good standard as dining on board. All the cruises seem to have dinner at Alpendurada Monastery, which is in cellar and we still remember the potato soup ......

There are lots of interesting excursions - but note again how long the coach journey to Salamanca (interesting town) is.

There are several river cruise lines on the Douro, but no matter what the boat livery says they all seem to be operated by the same Portuguese boat company. Only the programme manager was a Viking employee.

At the end to get back to Lisbon you fly from Porto, Viking used TAP the Portuguese national airline. We got bumped off our flight, our friends with whom we were travelling as a foursome didn't, so we were separated and we missed our transport from our home airport. TAP has apparently a reputation -- the check in staff says we (there were 10 Viking passengers on that flight bumped) were selected because we were on discounted fares.

So plus points of Douro

Great scenery and interesting visits.

Uncrowded

Warm weather

Good local wines

Minus points

Too much coach time

Wasted time in Lisbon, Porto would be be better

To many meals away from boat

TAP

We will celebrating a special milestone wedding anniversary the end of April 2016. To mark this event, we have been perusing a river cruise. Several years ago, we river cruised from Rotterdam to Strasbourg and also Vienna to Amsterdam. Both journeys were in the summer months. We are considering the Douro River region in Portugal but would like to have some feedback what to expect at this time of year. Also, any other itinerary suggestions would be most welcome, Black Sea, Mekong Delta, etc.

We did the Douro with Uniworld last year and had similar and different experiences that the first OP. We started in Lisbon and thoroughly enjoyed the 2 day pre-cruise. The hotel was beautiful and we were able to tour Lisbon and surrounding communities prior to being transported to our ship. I don't not remember that the trip to the ship was many hours, perhaps because we had a stop in a lovely university town for lunch and tour. There was only one dinner away from the ship and that was at a beautiful winery. The food and drink were excellent and the entertainment very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this cruise, but obviously the Viking experience is totally different than the Uniworld experience :confused:

Cole

t obviously the Viking experience is totally different than the Uniworld experience :confused:

Cole

Not totally, our perceptions of perhaps. :)

We'd all been to Lisbon before, someof us multiple times, so time there seemed a waste. Also having to pack again, check out in order to bus to Porto when one big attraction of river cruising for us is that you go from airport to boat, unpack once and the new sights come to you.

Check the Douro itinery carefully and use Google maps.

We (four of us) went on the Douro last year with Viking -- but as far as I could see all the main river cruise companies do the same.

The Douro is absolutely beautiful, narrow and rocky in places, clothed with vineyards clinging to narrow terraces for a long way, and in places you seem to be remote from anywhere. At the furthest point you moor at the border with Spain and you can stroll out across the bridge into Spain.

But

The navigable river is quite short and the holiday starts with a few nights in Lisbon - presumably because that's where longhaul international flight arrive.

Lisbon is a long way from the Douro and its many hours tedious coaching from Lisbon to Porto, where the boat is.

Too many meals were taken off the boat, and not too such a good standard as dining on board. All the cruises seem to have dinner at Alpendurada Monastery, which is in cellar and we still remember the potato soup ......

There are lots of interesting excursions - but note again how long the coach journey to Salamanca (interesting town) is.

There are several river cruise lines on the Douro, but no matter what the boat livery says they all seem to be operated by the same Portuguese boat company. Only the programme manager was a Viking employee.

At the end to get back to Lisbon you fly from Porto, Viking used TAP the Portuguese national airline. We got bumped off our flight, our friends with whom we were travelling as a foursome didn't, so we were separated and we missed our transport from our home airport. TAP has apparently a reputation -- the check in staff says we (there were 10 Viking passengers on that flight bumped) were selected because we were on discounted fares.

So plus points of Douro

Great scenery and interesting visits.

Uncrowded

Warm weather

Good local wines

Minus points

Too much coach time

Wasted time in Lisbon, Porto would be be better

To many meals away from boat

TAP

So the memory of the potato soup, was that good or bad?

So the memory of the potato soup, was that good or bad?

Well, in my short time on this site I have seen there are many differing opinions among cruisers, so maybe some will love the potato soup.

Let me be diplomatic in just saying that it was 'memorable' :mad:

Want to thank all of you for your observations and experiences whether they were favourable or unfavourable. None of you made any reference to the time of year of your travel. We hope to go the end of April. What weather and scenery could we expect at this time of year? Is the Douro affected by spring water levels like other rivers in Europe?

Edited by plimsol

Our Douro trip was from 25 April to 4 May 2014.

Overcast and some drizzle in Lisbon. Sea breezes made it a bit chilly

Good weather on boat on Douro, spent much of the time sitting at the prow of the boat enjoying the amazing scenery approaching.

Not baking hot, but pleasant.

in late May. April would be too cool for me,like hot weather.But personl preference.

I LOVED this cruise and would be one I d do again. Enjoyed the Lisbon time since I d never been there before.Even bus ride kept my interest.lovely sights and towns.Stopped for lunch,etc.

Scenery on river was beautiful, wine and olive groves, rolling hills,quaint towns,etc. Look at some videos to get an idea.

Salamanca bus ride no problem as felt the same about seeing some of Spain,all in how you view these things ,it seem.

Hey, I too enjoyed the Monatery dinner,what can I say.Enjoy the dinners ofboard and in Porto did it on own for nice change.

So I d highly recommend this,think Scenic does one also.Check all details to see which one best for YOU.We re all different,as you can see.

We did it in Sept 2012 with Vantage. If you love wine it is great, we had self serve Mamosa with breakfast and wine on every excursion and wine with dinner, Even the alcoholics on our trip had to dry out

Edited by rvmike