First time cruiser! Need help! Questions about ports

Kypie242424

We will be sailing to cozumel, ocho,rios, and grand cayman. We have 4 children and doing excursions seems to be a bit expensive. Are there things to do at any of these ports without booking an excursion? Is the shopping within walking distance( with younger children)? Can we walk to a beach? Or is it best to book an excursion?

Also, has anyone ever used the best price guarantee on excursions? If so which excursions and where did you find the cheaper rate?

I have read about booking excursions on your own and saving money but are they safe? With small children?

Thanks!!

In Grand Cayman, it's not necessary to do an excursion. Take a bus from just outside the port gate to the left for about $1 - 2 pp to the beach. When you get back from the beach, go back to the ship for lunch, then go back and walk around the town area for an hour or two.

In Cozumel there are lots of shops at the port. We took at taxi to a beach (gosh I can't remember the name of it). It was about $15 each way with 4 of us in the taxi. At the private beach we just had to buy one item and then got free chairs for the day.

In Jamaica, I would splurge on a ship hosted excursion.

You'll get lots of varying opinions though; these are just my thoughts. Check out the destination boards too.

Shopping is within walking distance at all 3 of the ports you mentioned. You can take a quick and inexpensive taxi ride to beaches at Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am not sure how close the beaches are to the pier at Ochos Rios. There really is no need to do excursions if you want to save money. Do it on your own and you will be fine. Have fun.:cool:

I've only been to Cozumel and Grand Caymen out of the few you have listed and in Cozumel we just took in the city and walked around. Walking around and checking it out is one of the best things to do in a new port. I can tell you in Grand Cayman we did the Stringray tour with Stingray Sailings and it was hands down the best excursion we've been on. We are doing it again in two weeks. If you can research here on CC and see what excursions appeal to you and try to do ONE the whole cruise if you can. A lot depends on the ages of the children. Some don't allow young children. Good luck and prepare to enjoy your new addiction:D

I agree... Grand Cayman and Cozumel are easy to do on your own. However, Jamaica, be careful. I wouldn't go out alone. Go with a group and stay together. Not a whole lot to see at the port. Probably would have to take a cab. Dunns River Falls are great. If you have never done it, you have to do it at least once in your life. Book through the ship is the best way. A little expensive, but worth every penny. And it is much safer to travel in a large group.

Cozumel try looking up Paradise Beach- it is a resort meant for whole family. It is $3/ person includes a beach chair. It has grown immensely since we first went and has not only a beach,bar, great food but now a pool they heat in winter.

I think it was $15-20 for a taxi for two of us (they charge by taxi not # of people.)

I also agree with Capt. Marvins - great experience with Sting Rays- however water was I'd say 3.5ft deep at sandbar so if little ones maybe bring a life vest.

Grand Caymen is known for Seven Mile beach.

Bring sand toys,buckets/ shovels from say Walmart for trip. Bring extra for sudden new friends at the beach.

I think it was $15-20 for a taxi for two of us (they charge by taxi not # of people.)

I agree that Paradise Beach is a great place for families but the taxis do charge by how many people. For 2-4 people from Puerto Maya it is $14 for 5 people it is $20 because they have to use a bigger vehicle. In a 4 seater taxi they can squish 3 in the back plus one in front with driver but if there are 5 people and the driver then you have to take one of the bigger taxis thus the extra $6.