What exactly is a 2 category update?

no1volman

I'm on the Carnival website looking at cruises and I see a "fun select" rate. It offers a 2 category upgrade. But when I click the learn more button I get a message saying "upgrade based on availability in like to like categories. Interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view, and balcony to balcony. So I guess my question is what are you really upgrading? How does going from an interior to another interior an upgrade? What would make a 2 category upgrade?

And yes, I'm new to cruising. :)

Every class is divided into categories depending on location. A 4A on the lowest deck is less desirable than a 4E several decks higher even though they are both inside cabins.

Edited by ray98

Please keep in mind what Carnival classes as a better stateroom is not necessarily a better location for you.

If you book mid cabin interior on deck two because of a tendency to get sea sick then moving to deck 10 forward interior is considered a category upgrade but is not a better location for you.

Every class is divided into categories depending on location. A 4A on the lowest deck is less desirable than a 4E several decks higher even though they are both inside cabins.

So is there anything different between those 2 cabins other than location? Are they the same size and layout usually?

Also, keep in mind that the same type room (inside, ocean view, etc) on the same deck may well be different categories.

I was booking way in advance and had no problem doing the Early Saver. Even though the past guest 2 category upgrade was listed at a lower price than Early Saver, it was actually less money to do the Early Saver for the cabin I wanted. I had booked an inside, mid-ship, on deck 7 and in looking a couple days later realized I could go to ocean view in cabin shown right next to mid-ship but listed in bow was on lower deck was only $20 per person more. Did some checking and was still over a cabin and under the unseen area of Guest Services so was still happy with that location. Made the change.

Be sure, very sure, you fully understand any restrictions a given rate has.

Edited by Swampbaby

So it sounds like that's just a marketing tool to try and increase sales.

Obviously...they are in the business of selling cabins. They are giving you a more expensive cabin for no additional cost.

I'm on the Carnival website looking at cruises and I see a "fun select" rate. It offers a 2 category upgrade. But when I click the learn more button I get a message saying "upgrade based on availability in like to like categories. Interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view, and balcony to balcony. So I guess my question is what are you really upgrading? How does going from an interior to another interior an upgrade? What would make a 2 category upgrade?

And yes, I'm new to cruising. :)

It is the same cabin in a different location. Plain and simple. It is more of a marketing ploy than an upgrade IMO. I also think Carnival uses that as part of a larger strategy too to keep from having to honor price drops later on. If you accept a higher category of the same type of stateroom when you book, and then Carnival later offers the lowest category at a promo rate to fill cabins, then they don't have to give price drops to those already booked. And in the process, they make the customer think that they've really given them something in a "free upgrade." What a crock! Lol.

So it sounds like that's just a marketing tool to try and increase sales.

Yep you're pretty much correct. Like an 8B balcony is pretty much the same as an 8D other than location. When standing in the room they are IDENTICAL. The only reason to move from one to the other would be the change in the location. Do you like the location of one better than the other? You can pull up a deck plan and look and see exactly where the cabin you are looking at is and what category it is considered. Chances are the cabin one deck up looks exactly like it but is a different category.

Well I've only been on one cruise so I really don't know what would make one location better than another. Other than maybe you would want a room close to restaurants or similar frequented areas. And I've read online that you typically don't want to be under a populated are (like a dance area or maybe lido).

A location that is more desirable to you may not be a higher category.

Usually up one floor is a higher category.

Or in the middle instead of forward or aft.

If you go to certain online cruise booking site and do a mock booking it will show you all the rates and prices.

Seeing it all broken down helps make it easier to understand.

A marketing tactic. You may end up in a better location on the ship, such as: mid-ship instead of far forward or aft. You may also get a better deck with cabins above and below you instead of over a lounge or dining room.

If it's a balcony cabin the cabin itself will be basically the same if it's an 8A or 8E. There are a few exceptions but it is all about marketing and location. You think you're getting more than you really are.

Take care,

Mike

Well I've only been on one cruise so I really don't know what would make one location better than another. Other than maybe you would want a room close to restaurants or similar frequented areas. And I've read online that you typically don't want to be under a populated are (like a dance area or maybe lido).

Honestly, I think you're getting too caught up in the marketing tool. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. You need to decide for yourself what you think is a desirable spot to be and not let the cruise line tell you what they think is better. Do you like to be aft? Do you like to be midship? Do you like higher decks? Want to be closer to the pool? What of those are you willing to pay more for and what are you not willing to pay more for? These are things you need to decide for yourself. Don't get fooled by the marketing ploy. Most of Carnival's sales aren't all that great anyways. Just pick your room and be happy with it. Every time I have cruised I have just chosen where I want to be and been happy with it. I believe they were even offering the 2 category upgrade at the time.

I'm not sure I would ever want Carnival to pick my cabin for me. I'm just trying to decide which rate to pick. Every promotion their offer has words like free upgrade, choose your stateroom, automatic 2 category update, and so on. Sometimes the way they're worded is a little misleading.