Wyndham timeshare points for cruise?

Euby

Has anyone ever used Wyndham timeshare points to book an NCL cruise? How good is the selection?

I am a Diamond Resorts Int. member and we can also use our points for a cruise on NCL. I have not done it because it takes a ridiculous number of my points to book a cabin and I'd rather use my points for land vacations. I have heard of others making the exchange, though. If you have a lot of points to use, it may be a worthwhile booking. However, people often complain that the selection is very limited. In addition, at least with my TS, the cost of making a cruise selection with my points, plus considering my MF of $2000 plus is much higher than if I simply book a cruise on my own. If you are a member of Interval International, you can also make a cruise exchange through them. II also offers cruise exchanges to other cruise lines. II has a great community forum. There is a section on it devoted just for cruises. So you can get more information there.

Has anyone ever used Wyndham timeshare points to book an NCL cruise? How good is the selection?

I used a weeks worth of RCI points in 2010 which did not pay for the whole cruise. At that time it only took about $300 off. Plus, by the time we sailed the cruise price had dropped but I could not take advantage of that...

I know that wasn't Wyndham but in my experience the timeshare cost vs. benefit for a cruise was not there...

Hi, I have not because my particular timeshare has never receive equivalent cruise trade value (weeks) when compare to the anual maint fees. Others could be different.

Take a Look at the trade cruise fare plus any discount for that trade, then look at fees to swap the time share for a cruise. Keep in mind the annual time share maint fee paid. This is the cost of the cruise plus taxes.

Compare those costs with a different TA. Most base cruise fares are the same... The discount and/or On Board Credit is what can make the difference. For my timeshare (annual maint fee less cruise trade costs) never receives the value to make it worth trading for a cruise! I hope this helps,

We are Wyndham timeshare members and we used our Wyndham timeshare points to book our first cruise.

Looking back, I feel that we did not get a fair deal. It took a ridiculous number of my points to book an inside cabin! We also paid a lot of fees in addition to the regular taxes and fees that you normally pay when you book with the cruise line.

But it was our first cruise and we had a lot of points that we won't be using that year. Definitely worth checking it out if you have a lot of extra points to use and you don't want to deposit to RCI.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am a co-owner with my parents and they have more points than they can use due to declining health. So the cost difference is not a consideration for me (at least for now).

I was really hoping to get some input on the process and how much of a choice do you have in regards to cabin selection and cruises.

We did an exchange through Interval. We are an owner with Starwood. We've done other II exchanges over the years, but never for a cruise. I couldn't find any exchanges I liked better and we didn't want to stay on our own system since we had an extra week. Interval doesn't give a great exchange on cruises, but I figure I almost covered my maintenance fees with the discount. There were no restrictions on cabin type, although there seemed to be some sailings that weren't available. Generally though, there were plenty of sailing options and no cabin restrictions. We also got the same Freestyle Choice premiums when we booked. Interval is basically a travel agent, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Ohio_Bob

We used two weeks of our Marriot Vacation Club dues for our May 2 week Mediterranean and Greece cruise.

Originally we were able to book a 21 day Med-ocean view cabin on the Jade, but NCL cancelled that cruise, we didn't want to travel any earlier than April. So we took the 14day ocean view cabin and upgraded to a mini suite.

There are a lot of cruises available with Marriott thru (My Vacation Center) with all cruise lines. We find if we book early - 1 1/2 years out the prices are decent and more selection.

It works out well for us because we didn't want to use our Marriots this year.

CT

• 1 year later...

I searched Wyndham on here due to the fact we are Wyndham owners who like to cruise, and Wydham recently reached an agreement with NCL (no other cruise lines) that seems to have more reasonable rates.

So, anyone booked since this new deal went through?

PS:I Italy agree the previous rates were worthless, but maybe this direct deal will be better.

We just booked our second cruise using Marriott Vacation Club points. 11 day Alaska Cruise Tour we traded 3 weeks , and will probably not do it again, as it barely covered 1/2 the cost !! We did book with Celebrity, a veranda room. Got none of the perks that were offered, and no OBC . So excited to return to Alaska, but not a great deal as a Marriott Vacation Club owner. Uses way too many points!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wyndham has one offer for a four day cruise on NCL, balcony for 2 people. the point totals are about equal to what it would cost to book a nice resort in-season.

To me, that's reasonable. when you consider the cruise will include food & entertainment, as opposed to a timeshares stay where you're on your own for food & stuff, it's not a bad offer. I'd still love to hear from anyone who's tried it recently.

PS: I should mention -port charges would most likely not be included in the points offer, so you'd have to take that extra expense into account.