Where to photograph the Brilliance coming into Tampa

Basman

Going on the 16 April 4 night cruise to Cozumel. Will be spending the night downtown and was wondering where the best place is to take pictures of the Brilliance coming into Tampa.

At this point it, I do not have a rental car and will have to walk. However, if there is somewhere that is spectacular to go to, I'd be willing to get a rental car to get there.

Thank you in advance.

The skyway bridge has been turned into a fishing pier and is $10 access. You can drive out onto the pier. It jets out into the water right next to the current skyway bridge. It will give you incredible views of any ship coming into the bay.

Skyway bridge would be the best spot, its about a 30-45 minute drive from downtown tampa though and I am not sure how early you would need to be down there to catch Brilliance coming in.

Coming up the bay from the bridge to the port itself there really aren't any good spots to get a shot that I can think of.

At the port there is a public outdoor mall/shopping center right next to the terminal that has a second floor you can probably get some good closeups there but your backdrop is going to be the industrial port environment so not very scenic.

Trying to get a pic of the Brilliance when she passes under the bridge on the way in would be pretty, but it will certainly be a night shot... well morning, but very dark anyway. We passed under the bridge somewhere around 4:30-5:00AM when I was on her in November.

Across the street from 604 Channel Dr

Tampa, FL 33606 is a park bench. I recorded this video of Vision OTS a couple of weeks ago from this very spot. It's about 3 miles away. Harbour Island is mostly gated, so there would be no viewing from there.

Wanted to thank everyone for their inputs. I agree the Skyway Bridge would be a fantastic shot. Today is the first time the Brilliance came into port and it passed under the bridge around 3:45 local time. I am assuming the ship isn't illuminated coming in, if it is let me know. I looked at the angles and I would have to go to the southern fishing pier to get the best shot.

H18furball, great video of the Vision of the Seas. I really like that spot but today the Brilliance passed there around 5:30 am. On the April 16th Sunrise will be at 7:04 am with Twilight around 6:12. Once again it would need to be illuminated for a great shot.

I am thinking of just shooting it from the South Beneficial Drive bridge as she is in the Ybor turn-around basin. The sun will be coming up directly behind the ship though it will still be twilight. Otherwise, the mall that Jticarruthers mentioned will probably be the best spot.

Can someone from Tampa answer if I can easily make it to Cruise View Drive? It looks like it is a gated community, but I'd probably be walking. It looks like the other side of the channel would be the best spot to shoot it from, the sun angle would be behind me and Tampa would be in the background. Just don't know if there are any unobstructed views, it looks very industrial and that access to the waterfront is limited.

Thanks again.

If Brilliance is using Terminal 3 again, there is a publicly accessible area on the roof of the terminal the would provide great views. There's a large staircase on the right side of the building that will take you up there -- you can't miss it.

Untitled_zpsxigqkqbd.png

Edited by ahecht

Ahecht, that looks like a fantastic location. Not being familiar, its hard to see the staircase you pointed out, but once you know where to look, its there. Also its easier to see in the Birdseye view, I've only been looking straight down.

Question for you, How did you embed the picture in Cruise Critic? Thanks again, hope I get a great photo of the Brilliance coming in.

Wanted to thank everyone for their inputs. I agree the Skyway Bridge would be a fantastic shot. Today is the first time the Brilliance came into port and it passed under the bridge around 3:45 local time. I am assuming the ship isn't illuminated coming in, if it is let me know. I looked at the angles and I would have to go to the southern fishing pier to get the best shot.

H18furball, great video of the Vision of the Seas. I really like that spot but today the Brilliance passed there around 5:30 am. On the April 16th Sunrise will be at 7:04 am with Twilight around 6:12. Once again it would need to be illuminated for a great shot.

I am thinking of just shooting it from the South Beneficial Drive bridge as she is in the Ybor turn-around basin. The sun will be coming up directly behind the ship though it will still be twilight. Otherwise, the mall that Jticarruthers mentioned will probably be the best spot.

Can someone from Tampa answer if I can easily make it to Cruise View Drive? It looks like it is a gated community, but I'd probably be walking. It looks like the other side of the channel would be the best spot to shoot it from, the sun angle would be behind me and Tampa would be in the background. Just don't know if there are any unobstructed views, it looks very industrial and that access to the waterfront is limited.

Thanks again.

Be aware the Sunshine Skyway pier is about a 45 minute drive from downtown Tampa. It is at the southern end of Pinellas county.The southern pier is across the skyway so add 10 minutes. Either way add 5 minutes to walk down to the end of the pier.

You might consider walking behind Channelside. There is a nice public area and it is in front of the turning basin. She will probably turn around there prior to backing in to the terminal. It would be a great spot to get a picture.

Ahecht, that looks like a fantastic location. Not being familiar, its hard to see the staircase you pointed out, but once you know where to look, its there. Also its easier to see in the Birdseye view, I've only been looking straight down.

Question for you, How did you embed the picture in Cruise Critic? Thanks again, hope I get a great photo of the Brilliance coming in.

I uploaded the picture to Photobucket.com. When you look at a photo you've uploaded (the one in my post was here), there are share links on the right. Click on the one that says and it will copy the code to your clipboard, and you can paste it directly in to your cruisecritic post.

Once again I appreciate the How-To information and taking the time to post the photo. I signed up for a PhotoBucket account and want try a couple of test pictures.

I reduced the resolution to 50% and 25% to see which has acceptable resolution. Here is the 25%:

DSC_5437_25_zpsz5rtmcbk.jpg

and the next at 50%:

DSC_5437_50_zpsdi6yednt.jpg

Looks like 25% is acceptable for the boards plus it is about ~90% smaller than the original.

Pennielz thanks for the suggestion about Channelside. I'll be surveying both spots the evening before. If possible, I'll probably bounce between the two. Hopefully I'll start the cruise with a WOW worthy picture of the Brilliance.

Thanks Again