Bites of Nassau food tour?

Staying Focused

We went with another couple last summer. None of us were impressed. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't great. 2-3 offerings were good, but readily available without a tour. Others were disappointing or not bahamian. Tour was slow and a little boring. And a lot of walking.

On a food tour in Athens this past October, the first thing our guide said was, "Forget the word traditional. After all, food is constantly evolving and what we consider traditional today is a far cry from the traditional of the past."

The Bites of Nassau tour features food prepared, served, and eaten by people now living in the Bahamas and every bite has a "story," just as the food items we tasted in Greece each had a story. I live just outside San Francisco, and people here don't live on Dungeness crab and sourdough bread alone. A tour in my neighborhood would likely encompass Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Mexican, and Spanish cuisines, among many others.

Native? No. Ubiquitous? Yes.

There are numerous positive reviews of the Tru Bahamian Food tour online, written by legitimate press, casual bloggers, and former guests. If you like food, historical commentary, and walking, then you should enjoy yourself. My husband and I did, and so did the other 10 people in our group (all strangers).

• 1 month later...