Stavanger to Tidereiser ferry to Pulpit Rock

CathyK2

Can someone tell me how far of a walk it will be to go from the cruise port to Tiedreiser ferry?

I know that many people on other threads say that cruise ships aren't here long enough to make this trip, but since the ship is also offering this as a tour, wouldn't it stand to reason that if we could stay ahead of the ships tour of people that we will be fine? Am I missing something here?

Can someone tell me how far of a walk it will be to go from the cruise port to Tiedreiser ferry?

I know that many people on other threads say that cruise ships aren't here long enough to make this trip, but since the ship is also offering this as a tour, wouldn't it stand to reason that if we could stay ahead of the ships tour of people that we will be fine? Am I missing something here?

Cathy, as you mention, I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread where a cruise passenger indicated they had done the trip to the TOP of Pulpit Rock as part of a day stop in port. What cruise line info are you reading that says they offer a tour that accomplishes this trip? I was on Celebrity and we took a boat trip to the BASE of Pulpit Rock (and further) and then back to the ship. The guide pointed out Pulpit Rock to us as we went past it. But from the water, you can barely differentiate Pulpit Rock from all the other rock formations around it. Is it possible the cruise line's excursion you read about is similar in that it only takes a boat to the base of Pulpit Rock?

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hi CathyK2,

We are planning on doing the same thing in June. During my research I found this map of Stavanger

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Stavanger_city_map_cut.jpg

It shows the Tidereiser ferry within F2. Supposedly all the cruise ships are docking in E1 or E2. I read several write-ups about the hike on Tripadvisor and people were saying that the walk from the cruise ship to the ferry should not take more than 15 min.

Hope this helps.

I would be very grateful if you reported back about your hike and your experiences. We are in port from 7 til 4. I sorted out my ferry and bus connections and we are hoping to be able to complete the hike with an hour or so to spare before our ship leaves.:p Princess does not offer any hikes to Pulpit Rock, just the boat trip. I am sure you won't have any issues if your cruise ship offers the same excursion.

Regards

Petra

Cathy, as you mention, I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread where a cruise passenger indicated they had done the trip to the TOP of Pulpit Rock as part of a day stop in port. What cruise line info are you reading that says they offer a tour that accomplishes this trip? I was on Celebrity and we took a boat trip to the BASE of Pulpit Rock (and further) and then back to the ship. The guide pointed out Pulpit Rock to us as we went past it. But from the water, you can barely differentiate Pulpit Rock from all the other rock formations around it. Is it possible the cruise line's excursion you read about is similar in that it only takes a boat to the base of Pulpit Rock?

Cruise line is Holland America and it's on the Rotterdam. And yes, I'm positive that the ship excursion is a hike although they do offer the boat trip you mention as well for a different tour. But this is the write up about the "Pulpit Rock Hike" so it sure sounds like they are hiking it to me.

Set out from the pier with a drive to the local ferry landing for a 35-minute crossing to Tau. Once in Tau, it's a 30-minute ride through scenic landscapes to Preikestolhytta. Your hike starts from here. To reach Pulpit Rock you'll hike for two hours through a variety of different landscapes, including mountains, forest and marshland with some lovely ponds along the way. The last 600 yards are quite spectacular as you walk along a narrow path with steep cliffs on one side and Lysefjord far below on the other. Finally upon arrival at Pulpit Rock, take in the fantastic scenery as you eat a boxed lunch and view Lysefjord some 1,500 feet below. Suitably refreshed, you head off on the return journey following the same route back to the ship.

Hi CathyK2,

We are planning on doing the same thing in June. During my research I found this map of Stavanger

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Stavanger_city_map_cut.jpg

It shows the Tidereiser ferry within F2. Supposedly all the cruise ships are docking in E1 or E2. I read several write-ups about the hike on Tripadvisor and people were saying that the walk from the cruise ship to the ferry should not take more than 15 min.

Hope this helps.

I would be very grateful if you reported back about your hike and your experiences. We are in port from 7 til 4. I sorted out my ferry and bus connections and we are hoping to be able to complete the hike with an hour or so to spare before our ship leaves.:p Princess does not offer any hikes to Pulpit Rock, just the boat trip. I am sure you won't have any issues if your cruise ship offers the same excursion.

Regards

Petra

Thank you Petra for the information. Our ship (Rotterdam) is also going to be there from 7 am til 4 pm. And yes, I too have worked out the times that we SHOULD be in good shape as long as we can really hike it in 2 ish hours. That's always a viable, but we are going to shoot for it and if for whatever reason we aren't up to the top in two hours, we will probably bail. But I know that we took a hike within the last year to Hanging Lake in Colorado that was a similar length and amount of climb and by going back over time date stamps of pictures, we made that in about 1 hour and 50 minutes, so with good luck, we should be able to pull this one off too. We shall see. And yes, I'll be back after our cruise. We will be there mid May til the end of the month.

Cruise line is Holland America and it's on the Rotterdam. And yes, I'm positive that the ship excursion is a hike although they do offer the boat trip you mention as well for a different tour. But this is the write up about the "Pulpit Rock Hike" so it sure sounds like they are hiking it to me.

Set out from the pier with a drive to the local ferry landing for a 35-minute crossing to Tau. Once in Tau, it's a 30-minute ride through scenic landscapes to Preikestolhytta. Your hike starts from here. To reach Pulpit Rock you'll hike for two hours through a variety of different landscapes, including mountains, forest and marshland with some lovely ponds along the way. The last 600 yards are quite spectacular as you walk along a narrow path with steep cliffs on one side and Lysefjord far below on the other. Finally upon arrival at Pulpit Rock, take in the fantastic scenery as you eat a boxed lunch and view Lysefjord some 1,500 feet below. Suitably refreshed, you head off on the return journey following the same route back to the ship.

I would agree that this write up sure makes it sound like the excursion takes you where you want to go. So you probably can do it on your own too. Good luck and report back. I'm curious to hear your results. Have a great trip.

MeHeartCruising, Yes, I will most certainly report back. I will be back the first of June, so give me time to recoup and I'll be back.

Avery's Mom, I think it makes sense to do the hike on our own since I don't know about your ship, but there is a HUGE HUGE mark up on this tour. I'm use to them doubling what it would cost but this is almost four times what it costs to do it on our own, so that's just a little too far over the top. So yes, happy trails to both of us.

Thank you Petra for the information. Our ship (Rotterdam) is also going to be there from 7 am til 4 pm. And yes, I too have worked out the times that we SHOULD be in good shape as long as we can really hike it in 2 ish hours. That's always a viable, but we are going to shoot for it and if for whatever reason we aren't up to the top in two hours, we will probably bail. But I know that we took a hike within the last year to Hanging Lake in Colorado that was a similar length and amount of climb and by going back over time date stamps of pictures, we made that in about 1 hour and 50 minutes, so with good luck, we should be able to pull this one off too. We shall see. And yes, I'll be back after our cruise. We will be there mid May til the end of the month.

Thanks Cathy! Happy Hiking!:) Can't wait to hear how it went

Regards

Petra