Just back from Alaska via HAL Amsterdam

momtodogs

Wow! What a vacation! I'm hooked on cruising. Being waited on, hand and foot, is hard to beat. We're exhausted! The pace was non-stop. This was our first cruise, so we had to take in as many of the activities as we could humanly tolerate and afford!

Our itinerary included Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria (Seattle to Seattle.) It was cloudy most of the time, and drizzly rain quite a bit, but who cared! We saw glaciers, whales (orca and humpback), bald eagles, porpoises (or dolphins), and dolls (sp?) dolphins. We shopped, and shopped, and shopped, and spent too much money, but "oh well." Dad had a great time, and my sister and I really enjoyed watching him enjoying himself! We also had a great time. Didn't get to bed before 1 am on any night. The food was incredible! The staff was soooo very nice. Our dining staff (Tama, Yana, Andy and Odessa) became our new best friends. Our steward (just call me "Say") took great care of us.

The entertainment in the main show lounge (Queen's Lounge) was outstanding. The ship's cast of 10 singer/dancers were amazing! They did two different shows, Romance on Broadway and Dancin' Fool. I wouldn't have expected a more polished performance on Broadway! The other entertainers were Mike Robinson (comedian/ventriloquist), Drew & Angela in DV8 Reality Magic, and Sean O'Shea (humorous impressions and impersonations). Although, ventriloquism is not my favorite form of intertainment, I will say I don't think I've seen better. Mike Robinson is excellent at what he does! Drew & Angela, husband and wife team, put on an incredible show. You just wanted to believe in the magic and not even try to "figure it out." They were also very warm people to talk with (encountered them several times on the ship.) I can't say enough about the vocal talent, and athleticism, of Sean O'Shea. If you have seen/heard him, you know what I mean. He was, by far, my favorite (and I wasn't alone in this.) He had an incredible repetoire of impressions (Louis Armstrong, Fats Dominoe, Neil Diamond, Elvis, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, and so many more.) His leaps from, and back onto, the stage were Olympian (I don't exaggerate.) He also was very warm to talk with, when encountered later, on the ship.

We got back yesterday morning. Took a 2-hour nap, before starting to unpack. Went to bed last night about 9:30, and got up this morning at 11:30. It is now 2:30 in the afternoon, and I'm ready for another nap. How long does it usually take to return to normal sleep patterns?

Thanks sooo much for all your input in our preperations for this trip. Your tips helped us get the most out of our first cruise.

Oh, and did I mention ....... I won a Caribbean cruise for two, in the shipboard lottery! My sister is already planning her wardrobe (I wouldn't dare take anyone else.) Any advice on which Caribbean cruise (and ship) to take?

We are in total agreement with you about the Amsterdam, Alaska and the total experience.:)

Unfortunately the ms Amsterdam will not be going to Alaska next year so aren't we lucky to have been on board this year? Congratulations on winning the free cruise--let us know what you choose.

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time on the Amsterdam. I was on exactly the same cruise August 7-14. We were extremely lucky and had lovely weather in every port, although we did cruise in the fog some nights (and I loved going to sleep to the sound of that foghorn!). I loved the Amsterdam as well...and Alaska was every bit spectacular as I've ever heard. The Hubbard Glacier was amazing, what shore excursions did you do? I did the helicopter tour and dog sled adventure in Juneau, and booked a floatplane for a couple of hours in Sitka, we flew around and landed on some interior lakes, it was a blast.

More than any other vacation I've ever taken, coming back from the Amsterdam and trying to get back to reality (i.e., working for a living) has been very hard. I want to be out on that verandah, receiving room service and looking at the expanse of blue ocean...VERY hard to give up!

I agree that it was a very special trip and I will always treasure the memories! Congratulations on your win of the free cruise too..how exciting! Enjoy!

Jane :)

It certainly sounds like you and your family had a fabulous time on the Amsterdam in Alaska! Both the ship and destinations are just awesome! Congrats on winning the cruise lottery! We've enjoyed all the cruises we've been fortunate enough to sail on but the Amsterdam is our very favorite ship of all! We've sailed to the Caribbean several times now...I liked the 'southern' Caribbean itinerary a lot. These usually start in San Juan and take you deeper into the Caribbean than the 7 day Caribbean cruises that start in FL. ANd this itinerary is usually very port intensive...you might start feeling like you're on a non stop whirlwind! Whatever you decide on...Happy sailings!

If you loved the Amsterdam...the Rotterdam would be the most similar since they are co-flagships. But it is seldom that the Rotterdam is sailing in the Caribbean. We've sailed on the Zaandam which is a lovely ship and her 'sister' ship is the Volendam. Then there are Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam and Veendam 'sisters'. But I could go on and on...for me...sailing on any 'DAM ship is just fine.

Enjoy your future cruises!

Thanks, Tide. We saw them the first day we were in Alaskan waters right from our balcony.

I can still remember the 5 salmon names, I won a contest on the train ride back to Anchorage because it had been drummed into our heads so often by the tour guides I was able to pop right out with the answer!

They're often called Dahl's, but the correct name is Dall's. They are soooo cute - like little mini-orcas.

Archived