Platinum dinners in Le Bistro - booking ahead?

welove2cruise*

With all of the UDP offers now I am worried that if we don't book our dining reservations prior to getting on the ship that we will be stuck with nothing good to choose from for times to dine.

I am wondering if I book early (unfortunately you have to pay at the time of booking) if I can ask for a refund once we are onboard when I have my certificates. They really should do something different for Platinum members that would allow us to use our certificate to book in the first place.

When we got on the Getaway in February we booked within an hour of boarding and could only choose between 5:45 and 8:30. :(

Has anyone tried this or have any other suggestion?

I have heard that you get your money back in the form of on board credit if you do this... I haven't personally tried it though. I will say that I was worried about the effects of UDP on the availability of specialty dining, and found that I was still able to book reservations every morning for the place I wanted to eat that night.... but I never waited until actual dinner time, or tried to just "walk in". The only one I booked in advance was Teppanyaki and I found availability for all the others- we typically made reservations in the morning for sometime between 6:30-7:30.

I have heard that you get your money back in the form of on board credit if you do this... I haven't personally tried it though. I will say that I was worried about the effects of UDP on the availability of specialty dining, and found that I was still able to book reservations every morning for the place I wanted to eat that night.... but I never waited until actual dinner time, or tried to just "walk in". The only one I booked in advance was Teppanyaki and I found availability for all the others- we typically made reservations in the morning for sometime between 6:30-7:30.

Before you start knocking the program maybe some research before hand would help you. If you look at the UDP on NCL website it tells you that Platinum members get a $20 discount. You cna also take your Platinum letter to dinner and get the free bottle of wine.

Lastly don't worry about the resy's that you can't get know just book them once on board.

We only eat at the specialty restaurants we never purchase in advance, we do it when we board we also don't make reservations because we don't know what we want the next day let alone weeks or days out.

We have never had problems in getting reservations when want give or take 15 min.

Before you start knocking the program maybe some research before hand would help you. If you look at the UDP on NCL website it tells you that Platinum members get a $20 discount. You cna also take your Platinum letter to dinner and get the free bottle of wine.

Lastly don't worry about the resy's that you can't get know just book them once on board.

We only eat at the specialty restaurants we never purchase in advance, we do it when we board we also don't make reservations because we don't know what we want the next day let alone weeks or days out.

We have never had problems in getting reservations when want give or take 15 min.

I am sorry you misinterpreted as I was not "knocking" the program nor do I feel the person who originally replied was.

I am very appreciative of our two dinners in Le Bistro and simply would like to be able to reserve a time I am happier with. I am glad you were able to make your reservation without a problem but that was not our experience in February. We had a party of 8 which may have been a factor but there was very little to choose from (as I mentioned 5:45 or 8:30) and we were among the first to board the ship and attempted within an hour of boarding for two different evenings throughout the week. I am not even sure how it works to try to make a larger reservation ahead of time but will work on figuring something out as we have 6 people this coming cruise.

I am sorry you misinterpreted as I was not "knocking" the program nor do I feel the person who originally replied was.

I am very appreciative of our two dinners in Le Bistro and simply would like to be able to reserve a time I am happier with. I am glad you were able to make your reservation without a problem but that was not our experience in February. We had a party of 8 which may have been a factor but there was very little to choose from (as I mentioned 5:45 or 8:30) and we were among the first to board the ship and attempted within an hour of boarding for two different evenings throughout the week. I am not even sure how it works to try to make a larger reservation ahead of time but will work on figuring something out as we have 6 people this coming cruise.

Well I've never had to book 8 people maybe next time try two tables of four side by side. Also by going to the restaurant when it's open a night or two before and speaking to the maitre'd can help.

We were unable to book Le Bistro on the Getaway for our platinum dinners. It was booked solid for the entire week before we got onboard. We had to take the Moderno as an alternative. We were only a couple.

HHmmmm not encouraging... We board Saturday.

Thanks for the heads up... ;)

We were unable to book Le Bistro on the Getaway for our platinum dinners. It was booked solid for the entire week before we got onboard. We had to take the Moderno as an alternative. We were only a couple.

This is exactly what I have been afraid of. If we are unable to make a satisfactory reservation for the benefit related to our status with NCL the "perk" has turned into a negative experience. Certainly not the way I would want to treat my VIP clients.

With all of the UDP offers now I am worried that if we don't book our dining reservations prior to getting on the ship that we will be stuck with nothing good to choose from for times to dine.

I am wondering if I book early (unfortunately you have to pay at the time of booking) if I can ask for a refund once we are onboard when I have my certificates. They really should do something different for Platinum members that would allow us to use our certificate to book in the first place.

When we got on the Getaway in February we booked within an hour of boarding and could only choose between 5:45 and 8:30. :(

Has anyone tried this or have any other suggestion?

They do limit the number of reservations precruise. In fact, they do that even while on board. My last cruise on the Epic I tried to book for a specific time. I was told that time was unavailable to reserve, so I reserved for a later time. However, the person making the reservation for me also said there were many tables available and I could just show up at my preferred time and there likely would be room for me. That was for Moderno and maybe LeBistro is busier, not sure, but I would not worry very much. They seem set aside a certain number of places to reserve before the cruise and during the cruise. The rest seem to be left for FreeStyling!!!! I would think if you make your reservation the first day of your cruise you should be fine or ask about available tables and if not all the tables are reserved.

Edited by drvalo

As Platinum shouldn't a problem like this come under the heading of Concierge services? I don't sail until next year but it will be my first Platinum cruise and I will definitely be calling the Concierge if I can't use my dining perk...that is, unless they "tweak" the benefit by then and do away with it. Right now there are so many changes occurring I am counting no chickens before they're hatched.

As Platinum shouldn't a problem like this come under the heading of Concierge services? I don't sail until next year but it will be my first Platinum cruise and I will definitely be calling the Concierge if I can't use my dining perk...

They already make contacting the concierge as hard as possible. We've been Platinums since the beginning of 2013 and unless in a suite, we have never received any contact information for concierge or their office.

As Platinum shouldn't a problem like this come under the heading of Concierge services? I don't sail until next year but it will be my first Platinum cruise and I will definitely be calling the Concierge if I can't use my dining perk...that is, unless they "tweak" the benefit by then and do away with it. Right now there are so many changes occurring I am counting no chickens before they're hatched.

The concierge for Platinum is just the Latitudes rep on board. Nothing like the one for the suites and not the same one as the suites. He or she might be willing to help you, but it likely will not be the same as just calling him/her and it happens. It could happen, I suppose, but I just don't see it. The Latitudes rep has very limited and odd hours as well. In some other CC discussions about the concierge there were many who said that benefit should not even be listed as it really does not exist.