UDP for children

Jennyyl

I have 2 children, both 5 years old, can I purchase the dining plan for them? I know everyone says, "why would you want to do that if kids are 1/2 price, however, since we will be going to cirque dreams the first night and cagneys or le bistro every night, it would still be worth it for our family. thanks

Also see following link from Norwegian web site re Family Cruising

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises

I copied and pasted the part pertaining to children's dining

"Dining

Sit down to a hot pizza. Check out our made-to-order buffet. Or make it a memorable night at a specialty restaurant. With Freestyle Dining, you can eat where you want, when you want. Plus, kids age 3 and under always eat for free and kids 4 – 12 can order from our complimentary kids’ menu and eat for half price at any of our specialty restaurants."

Even if you ate at cagneys six nights and the illusion show one night AND your kids ordered off the menu every night, you would still at worst break even with just paying out of pocket since they are half price.

Even if you ate at cagneys six nights and the illusion show one night AND your kids ordered off the menu every night, you would still at worst break even with just paying out of pocket since they are half price.

actually, we are doing cagneys or les bistros each night, critique dreams (which I was already charged $40 per child), plus at the recommendation of others we planned to have a couple late night apps and dessert at another specialty restaurant, so on nights I plan to do that, it will cost more if I pay out of pocket. not shooting the messenger but I don't understand what skin it is off of ncl if I buy it for children that hardly eat... otherwise I'll just have my children take up space and order from the complimentary menu...I would think it would be beneficial for them to take my money. thanks for the responses.

actually, we are doing cagneys or les bistros each night, critique dreams (which I was already charged $40 per child), plus at the recommendation of others we planned to have a couple late night apps and dessert at another specialty restaurant, so on nights I plan to do that, it will cost more if I pay out of pocket. not shooting the messenger but I don't understand what skin it is off of ncl if I buy it for children that hardly eat... otherwise I'll just have my children take up space and order from the complimentary menu...I would think it would be beneficial for them to take my money. thanks for the responses.

The kids will only be charged 1/2 price if they order an entree from the main menu. On our last cruise on the Getaway, I was planning on getting my kids UDP as well because we had the UDP and i was going to be charged $40 for the kids' Illusionarium anyway. But then i just did a pay as you go and worked out so much better because there were times when the kids just wanted some pizza and other stuff from the kids menu and that was free. Also since there is no limit to the apps and dessert you can order, the kids can just order off the apps and dessert from the main menu without any extra charge .. so even if you go on multiple specially restaurants every day ( as long as as the kids only order once from the main adult menu) , you still come out ahead.

Edited by smartpeach

The kids will only be charged 1/2 price if they order an entree from the main menu. On our last cruise on the Getaway, I was planning on getting my kids UDP as well because we had the UDP and i was going to be charged $40 for the kids' Illusionarium anyway. But then i just did a pay as you go and worked out so much better because there were times when the kids just wanted some pizza and other stuff from the kids menu and that was free. Also since there is no limit to the apps and dessert you can order, the kids can just order off the apps and dessert from the main menu without any extra charge .. so even if you go on multiple specially restaurants every day ( as long as as the kids only order once from the main adult menu) , you still come out ahead.

This is very helpful!! thank you! do you recall if the complimentary kids menu was the same in each specialty restaurant each night.

yes, it's the same kids dinner menu for all restaurants. If I remember correctly, it's a choice of burgers, pizza, pasta, Mac and cheese, hot dog, chicken tenders and PBJ. My kids are 10 and 7. The older one likes to order off the adult menu half the time. But the 7 year old wanted pizza or pasta from the kids menu all the time. Both would try a lot of the apps and desserts from the specialty restaurants' menu. We ended up paying extra for the kids only a few times.

Since your kids are only 5, I would assume there's not much from the adult menu that will appeal to them anyway. Most of the entrees at Le Bistro were too exotic for my kids. Also, the steaks at Cagneys are massive. You'd have a hard time finishing it after all the apps and sides. You can just share some of your steak with the kids.

Last summer, I did buy the UDP for my 6 year old daughter on the Breakaway. If I recall correctly, after deducting the price of the dinner show, the balance for the other 6 nights was roughly $80. She ate with us every night at a specialty restaurant and ate anything she wanted. She did eat off of the kids menu once (maybe twice) but she always had an adult dessert and had appetizers from the adult menu most nights. She enjoyed herself (especially the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro) and I did not need to be concerned with a full surcharge for just a dessert or an appetizer (if she did not get a full entrée). The dinner show inclusion was important.

Last summer, I did buy the UDP for my 6 year old daughter on the Breakaway. If I recall correctly, after deducting the price of the dinner show, the balance for the other 6 nights was roughly $80. She ate with us every night at a specialty restaurant and ate anything she wanted. She did eat off of the kids menu once (maybe twice) but she always had an adult dessert and had appetizers from the adult menu most nights. She enjoyed herself (especially the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro) and I did not need to be concerned with a full surcharge for just a dessert or an appetizer (if she did not get a full entrée). The dinner show inclusion was important.

great to know!!! thanks for the info!