Plane tickets...will prices keep going up or calm down and go down?

LuvTheSea14

We are flying from NY to Ft Lauderdale for Legend cruise in April. I can not decide if I should rush and get plane tickets before gas prices make the price go sky high or wait and hope things calm down and prices go back to normal? Any opinions?

I'd be interested in hearing someone's thoughts on this as well. We just switched our 10/15 Holiday cruise to the same dates on the Inspiration. We'd planned on driving to Mobile, but are looking at flying to Tampa as it's farther away. I was checking fares on AirTran and don't know whether I should book now at what seems a low price ($158.40 round trip pp) or if it would be better to wait a bit.

Have we got anyone with more experience that could give some welcome advice?

I would book now for the October cruise. You have less than 6 weeks before the cruise. Airfares will go up in the next month due to high oil prices, not down, and then you will be close to if not within the 21 day period where airfares really go up. Also, as other people switch to that cruise, flights will fill up and your flight options wll be reduced.

We are flying from NY to Ft Lauderdale for Legend cruise in April. I can not decide if I should rush and get plane tickets before gas prices make the price go sky high or wait and hope things calm down and prices go back to normal? Any opinions?

I guess it's like playing the stock market ... you take your best guess and hope you're right.

I just booked my airline tickets for my December and January cruises. I paid something like $179 for round trip Miami and about $297 for round trip San Diego. A bit more than I've been accustomed to spending, but not too bad.

Personally, I am of the opinion that with all the damage to the U.S. oil production facilities due to Hurricane Katrina, the price of fuel (including aviation fuel) will continue to rise for the rest of the year. Based on that belief, I figured I'd better lock in the price of my airline tickets.

Now, ask me again at the end of the year and we'll see if my decision was a good one or just plain stupid. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We are a group of 12 and we have been looking for airfare since april for our cruise in january. 3 of us finally booked and the fare (imho) is skyhigh but the best I have seen since april. since april the price has only went higher. I would say book now and if you can't I hope the fare will go down or at least stay the same for you but I feel it will only continue to rise. Good luck.

Pick a price you can live with and stop worrying. Some airlines are paying 60% more for fuel than a year ago and they were loosing money then. The legacy airlines are in very, very serious financial condition. Eventually, fares have to increase to at least match their costs. By all means consider the low cost carriers that are in much better shape than the majors. i.e., JetBlue, AirTran and Southwest.

I have been looking for airfare from LEX to MIA since April as well and haven't found anything that I have been willing to pay. I wish I could find plane tickets for under $300. To me its just crazy. We are probably going to fly out of CVG or SDF now because prices continue to rise instead of fall. But we will say money by flying out of one of these areas.

Rebecca

I feel your pain. Our airline tickets went from $700 per peron to $1100 for our trip to Hawaii in December. We have five in our family too, so this just hurts us big time. I refuse to put vacations on credit, so we are really cutting back now that we bought these tickets.

Archived