Lunch options for 1st day

Grannycb

You may find that the Dive In at the Terrace Grill on the Lido Deck just forward of the Lido Pool is open too, if you are in the mood for burgers or dogs and sides.

Hours for the Mariner Luncheon are generally noon to 130pm.

When my husband and I boarded the Westerdam last week, we opted for burgers and fries from the Dive In...REALLY hit the spot for lunch that day!! Loved it so much we lunched there twice more during the week.

When my husband and I boarded the Westerdam last week, we opted for burgers and fries from the Dive In...REALLY hit the spot for lunch that day!! Loved it so much we lunched there twice more during the week.

Dive In really is one of the best things to happen to the HAL ships in a while on the food-side. HI was highly impressed with the quality of what comes out of there.

The Lido serves lunch, of course, including sushi and the taco bar was inside the Lido on the Eurodam while the Dive In had the burgers, hotdogs, and fries. We never waited longer than about 8 minutes for our food. And there were only about 5 people ahead of me during the "crowded" time. A tasty option.

You may find that the Dive In at the Terrace Grill on the Lido Deck just forward of the Lido Pool is open too, if you are in the mood for burgers or dogs and sides.

Hours for the Mariner Luncheon are generally noon to 130pm.

Since this is our first HAL cruise, we will not be welcomed at the Mariner's Luncheon in the MDR :(

So thank you for the heads up regarding the Dive In at the Terrace Grill. We are not looking forward to a possible lunch rush in the Lido. We've done that routine on past cruises and it's a hectic way to start a relaxing vacay. I guess our best bet is to get there for early embarkation if possible, and if the Lido is the only option we can get our lunch there and carry it elsewhere to enjoy.

Lorie

The Lido serves lunch, of course, including sushi and the taco bar was inside the Lido on the Eurodam while the Dive In had the burgers, hotdogs, and fries. We never waited longer than about 8 minutes for our food. And there were only about 5 people ahead of me during the "crowded" time. A tasty option.

Don't forget about those excellent french fries at the 'Dive In" too.

Since this is our first HAL cruise, we will not be welcomed at the Mariner's Luncheon in the MDR :(

Lorie

You should be welcomed to the Mariner's lunch in the MDR if you have sailed on some other CCL lines.

"Guests who have sailed aboard a "World's Leading Cruise Lines" ship (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn or Costa Cruises) are also automatically enrolled in the program as a Star Mariner after they make their first booking with Holland America Line." from FAQ's: http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

The Lido has a very extensive menu on embarkation day.

I certainly wouldn't miss it. You may see items that may not be offered the rest of your cruise.

Someone else mentioned that the Lido lunch on the first day gets busy, but everything moves along quickly which doesn't sound bad at all. On previous cruises we have gone into the Lido and it was like a mad house, people trying to go both ways in the same line, people getting snarky trying to hold tables, etc. Chaos usually reigned. From what I have read here on CC the Lido on the Veendam is busy but (hopefully) more organized. And what you say about the offerings has me curious now...also I found out much of what they serve in the MDR is also offered on line at the Lido, so it's basically the same food in a different setting. I have a feeling we are going to like being on a smaller ship, I think it is more our style.

Lorie

You should be welcomed to the Mariner's lunch in the MDR if you have sailed on some other CCL lines.

"Guests who have sailed aboard a "World's Leading Cruise Lines" ship (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn or Costa Cruises) are also automatically enrolled in the program as a Star Mariner after they make their first booking with Holland America Line." from FAQ's: http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

This is actually our very first cruise with any of the lines under the "World's leading Cruise Line Ships" Corp. I have never seen anything like the Mariner's Luncheon on NCL. But HAL is known for honoring it's traditions. I guess we will just have to wait our turn until we get enough stars to be included LOL

More than the Mariner's Luncheon, Brunch, or any other event, I want to return and get one of those highly coveted ceramic tiles! LOL I'm imagining they are a pretty Delft Blue color. I hope they continue this lovely tradition long enough for me to get one. :)

Lorie

This is actually our very first cruise with any of the lines under the "World's leading Cruise Line Ships" Corp. I have never seen anything like the Mariner's Luncheon on NCL. But HAL is known for honoring it's traditions. I guess we will just have to wait our turn until we get enough stars to be included LOL

More than the Mariner's Luncheon, Brunch, or any other event, I want to return and get one of those highly coveted ceramic tiles! LOL I'm imagining they are a pretty Delft Blue color. I hope they continue this lovely tradition long enough for me to get one. :)

Lorie

I leave my tiles on the ship. I don't like them at all and don't understand the fuss.

Here is another vote for Dive-In. When you place your order, they give you one of those buzzing things you get from a restaurant when you are waiting for your table. While you are waiting for your burger/hot dog to be cooked, either go to the Lido Bar or ask a waiter for you favorite beverage (or daily special, your choice), find a seat at a table and enjoy the pleasurable buzz of the first meal aboard.

That is what Rob Lowe would do. Grumpy Rob Lowe would crowd around the order window, complaining about how it takes ten minutes to prep his Cannonball burger, when he got his burger, he would find a table and then get a drink and by the time he got his drink, his burger would be cold, and later, he would post in Cruise Critic that he was on the worst cruise ever.

My favorite is the Canonball, sometimes with and sometimes without the onions. And I agree that the Dive-In, along with the B.B. King Blues Club are the two best things to come to HAL in years. Alas, for the OP, B.B. King doesn't play on the Veendam. But the Veendam does have the nifty giant outdoor LED screen at the Retreat, which is the third best thing to come to HAL in recent years (Koningsdam is not considered eligible for inclusion on the list, as it is not actually completed.) Apparently you are not allowed to have all three on the same ship.

There's also room service. Sometimes I do that while I unpack and have DH go graze for burgers and pizza and give me some space.

Usually on embarkation day the Lido will have a carving station with a "baron of beef" if you like that sort of thing. Embarkation dinner in the MDR used to always include Prime Rib of Beef, at least they were still serving it in November. So beef for lunch and beef for dinner is too much for me.

m--