Millenium Venice to Barcelona/Questions

RDT

We are on the Millenium from Venice to Barcelona in October/November.

We have shore excursions lined up for the first part of the trip--based on some good advice we found on these boards. But I have a couple of questions that someone might be able to help with.

Does anyone have advice about getting from the ship to Rome, and also to Florence the next day? Is the Celebrity-offered transportation the most efficient means to get to Rome and Florence?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tour guide for the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel? (Just that, no general city tour)

The itinerary indicates that we arrive Barcelona in the evening--a full day after we leave Nice. Is that the case? Is that last day basically a sea day?

What is the onboard entertainment like on that last night? (We are considering the Flamenco shore excursion.)

We have an extra day slated for Barcelona following the cruise, but have an early plane home on the day we leave. Does anyone have good suggestions for hotels near the airport ($125-150 USD).

Any unique info about this cruise that might be helpful?

Thanks for your help on any of these questions.

RDT,

We just got back from this cruise. You are supposed to get into Barcelona at 5pm, but it was more like 6pm when we managed to get off the ship. There will be tons on cabs turn up for the ship when it docks and we got charged 15 euros for 6 of us to the top of Las Ramblas. You will also find a shuttle bus which is 1.5 euros each way. In general the onboard entertainment is good. If you have not been before, it is very good, but the main shows were exactly the same as last year, and the entertainers scattered around the ship, for us, left a lot to be desired. The illusionist was outstanding.

AndyM--

So, is that last day before you arrive in Barcelona just a sea day? It seems like a long time to sail from Nice.

Was there anything you just loved about the cruise that we should know about? Anything that we should be warned about?

It's amazing how reassuring it is to get feedback from someone who's just been on the same cruise. . .

Thanks--

RDT

Hi

Getting to Rome is ver easy. The ships shuttle bus takes you to a position very close to the local railway station. Form there its 40/60 mins train ride direct into Rome. (depending on if you get a local or express train). The ships concierge desk had details, maps and timetables for the journey. We had a great day in Rome and will be repeating it in May

Ian

RDT,

Yes the day before Barcelona is basically a sea day. You don't leave Villefranche until midnight. Seems a waste. It was a bit of a con as at first glance you have 2 days in Barcelona, but...... only a few hours really. Last year we did Varcelona to Venice, same ship, but much better.

Venice.

We did the Doges palace secret tour. Don't miss it. you can find details on these boards. One of the highlights of our cruise. Don't eat in the main squares in Venice, go into the back streets and use a 'stand up' cafe. You can't miss them and you'll pay an awfull lot less. These are where the locals eat.

Dubrovnik.

Take the shuttle into town and walk the walls, only a few dollars and well worth it for the spectacular views. If the lines are long by the main gate, go down the street to the sea gate and you should find hardly any one in line there. Best place for a drink, Hemingways, local beer is great.

Athens.

We took the Athens and Cape Sounion tour. Was quite a long drive but only about 30 on the bus, the views were spectacular and when we got there, we were gobsmacked. The view from the temple was outstanding.

Santorini.

We took the cable car to the top and did the shops, then we took the bus to OIA (1 euro) and spent quite a bit of time there. It's a photographers paradise. You stop by a beach on the way back if you like that sort of thing.

Naples.

Having been here lots before, we took the local bus to Herculaneum (3.5 euros return)

Rome.

Took the ships 'Rome on you own' and spent the day on our own. Did P.Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps and then St Peters including the cript to see the popes tomb.

Livorno,

Took the tuscan countryside tour and had a fantastic time, great lunch with super wine in an Organic farmhouse. Got a little worried that we were lost on the way back though. Seemed to take forever to get back to the ship.

Villefranche,

Took the train to Montecarlo and then the local bus up the hill to Monaco.

Andy

We did this trip in August 2003...although our itinerary was slightly different (13 nights with a full day in Barcelona on the "overnight")

You can read my full review here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=1775

Just one warning: We thought the "Flamenco Show" excursion in Barcelona was horrendous--and certainly not worth the money...

There was no food included at the club, just a bowl of popcorn and some weak Sangria...The tables were poorly aligned to see the stage...The dancing seemed fairly amateur...

If doing it again, I would rather just take a cab over to the Placa Catalunya and wander around and maybe check out some clubs or bars on my own, eat some tapas and enjoy the nightlife...

Have fun...

Andym

You mentioned that you took the "Rome on your own" excursion - where did the bus drop you off? We will be taking it shortly and wanted to plan our day around the drop off and pick up spots.

Thanks. . .

Fran

Oh I forgot, for the Vatican, just turn up and tour it on your own. You get to stop and look at what interests you then, without any time restrictions.

Ian

I couldn't disagree with this more. We just showed at the Vatican in June and I can't tell you how disappointed I am that we didn't arrange a tour guide. There is so much to see and take in there that without a guide I was just overwhelmed. It is a mistake I will never make again. In fact knowing what I know now I would have hired a private guide just for the 6 of us.

If I am ever fortunate enough to make it back there some day, I will not make that mistake again.

We're on the Millenium, leaving Venice Oct. 25th and interested in finding others (4-6 people) to join us for a tour of the Amalfi Coast and Pompei. Total cost is 500Euros for 4-6 guests and 600Euros if we are eight pleople in the van. We'd be picked up at the port and return one hour before the ship is scheduled to depart.

There'll be time on our own for lunch. Any takers???

We may also be trying to arrange a tour out of Livorno to the Outlets.

Archived