Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

i will be cruising in may and have the dining package. We do not plan on dining in the regular restaurants and i have every intention of adjusting my dsc to reflect that. Am i correct in the fact that the dsc includes covering the service providers in the dining rooms, etc? If so why would i still pay that plus 18%?

I see your point, however, you won't ever eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch, the buffet maybe, any other free eating place? The DSC not only covers waitstaff but also room stewards, back end people, etc.

Harriet

I just called NCL because I was concerned that since I already pre-paid for 3 specialty restaurants, that they'll now charge me the 18% gratuity at the end of our meal when we board the Getaway in May. Note I've already pre-paid the DSC too. The rep at NCL said that since I pre-paid for the restaurant, that I won't be affected by the additional 18%, but that anyone that pre-books and pays going forward will see the 18% charged reflected when they purchase.

I questioned the principle of double-tipping, as the wait staff is supposed to be included in the daily service charge (DSC). The rep at NCL said effective today, that specialty restaurant staff are NOT included in the DSC. :eek: She also became very defensive and snippy with me when I asked that question. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's going on at NCL, but with this being my first cruise on NCL coming up, and having already booked another NCL cruise for next year, this leaves a very bad first impression.

So, the reps at NCL are now confirming that the specialty staff are no longer in the DSC pool. I assume this means they will be permanently assigned to the specialty locations for dinner. And I have to admit, this does make some sense as you would expect a top notch experienced server in a more upscale venue just as you would at home.

Now they need to update their website with this same information as it relates to the 18% gratuity. And, while INCREASING the DSC they have also removed staff from the pool, so now there's way more money to go around in the pool ( unless Butlers were added ) and also added a substantial fee to the cover charges in specialties.

I see your point, however, you won't ever eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch, the buffet maybe, any other free eating place? The DSC not only covers waitstaff but also room stewards, back end people, etc.

Harriet

im not going to not pay anything, ,but will just be adjusting to compensate for the meals out of those areas, if that makes senses. probably shouldve specified that =) and that is what i will be letting them know.

i will be cruising in may and have the dining package. We do not plan on dining in the regular restaurants and i have every intention of adjusting my dsc to reflect that. Am i correct in the fact that the dsc includes covering the service providers in the dining rooms, etc? If so why would i still pay that plus 18%?

If this report that NCL's phone reps are now confirming that the specialty staff are no longer in the DSC a pool, and thus the 18% takes the place of all or some of that.

The DSC pool includes other waitstaff, room stewards and behind the scenes people. I assume you will have breakfast and lunch in the buffet or MDR as the specialties are not open for breakfast or lunch.

We won't be changing our DSC payment at all (IMO-that is penalizing the staff & not hurting management that made this change)...but we've always tipped additional at the spec room and probably won't anymore. This is less than what we normally add, so it'll save $for me ;)

So, the reps at NCL are now confirming that the specialty staff are no longer in the DSC pool. I assume this means they will be permanently assigned to the specialty locations for dinner. And I have to admit, this does make some sense as you would expect a top notch experienced server in a more upscale venue just as you would at home.

I didn't read it that way that they were not in the DSC pool and they were only in the specialty restaurants. That would mean they only work at night for dinner every day? I find that hard to grasp.

Now they need to update their website with this same information as it relates to the 18% gratuity. And, while INCREASING the DSC they have also removed staff from the pool, so now there's way more money to go around in the pool ( unless Butlers were added ) and also added a substantial fee to the cover charges in specialties.

We still never got an answer one way or the other from NCL that the rise in DSC for suites included the Butler or not.

Harriet

Well after reading this thread we will definitely be adjusting our DSC . Each time we eat in a speciality restaurant we will deduct that portion of the gratuity. In fact if they keep this up I will remove the DSC and pay cash as I want to whomever. Fed up with this .:mad:

haha. im doing the same. i will deduct that from my dsc as well and will go to cash if i need to.

I don't understand this as the waitstaff in the specialty restaurants rotate and might be in the specialty restaurant one week but not the next or are in the MDR or elsewhere for breakfast and lunch. The don't only work in the specialty restaurants.
All they have to do is keep track of a server's shifts. So many MDR breakfasts, so many MDR lunches, so many buffet shifts, etc. And so many specialty restaurant shifts. And then they can decide how to determine the tips based on this breakdown (the different shifts may not all be "worth" the same amount in tips). There will now be a separate tip pool for the specialty restaurants, financed by the new 18% auto-tip, and it would be an easy matter to stop counting specialty restaurant shifts for participation in the DSC.

There are many ways they could set up the system, and by now we should be used to the idea that NCL will never tell us exactly what their system is.

If this report that NCL's phone reps are now confirming that the specialty staff are no longer in the DSC a pool, and thus the 18% takes the place of all or some of that.

The DSC pool includes other waitstaff, room stewards and behind the scenes people. I assume you will have breakfast and lunch in the buffet or MDR as the specialties are not open for breakfast or lunch.

only on sea days, and we usually eat two meals a day on board not three. port days we will be off first thing in morning and not back until dinner. im not saying im not going to make sure the rest of the people such as stewards and behind scenes staff are not taken care of, but i will be deducting a portion for what i feel is appropriate ratio for each meal not eaten in MDR each night.

We had already been looking at other lines before this largely due to the uninspiring routes coupled with prices that have gone through the roof (at least on all the sailings we have looked at mostly during peak times). Most of the sailings we've looked at have been increased just prior to each promo since last summer.

NCL then raised rates on 3/4th rates and then say they are half off but they are more than they were before.

Every time someone says this, invariably another someone will say "my cruise hasn't increased at all so you must be wrong!"

As I've been saying since these promos started... no free lunch.

I would therefore expect a reduction of the DSC to maybe $10 a day.

How the hell would they know that? And if they did know it to be true, it would represent the first actual piece of information released to customers about how, exactly, NCL distributes the DSC. Sorry, not buying that!

I am confused. We chose the free UDP promo for Getaway next year and will eat at a speciality restaurant each night. Am I expected to tip 18% each night?

I'd like to know this, too. In looking at the new information on the website, the gratuity is added to the purchase price of UDP. Am I correct to assume that if you have UDP from the promo, that the 18% gratuity is also included and we will not be billed extra?

GEORGET user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

In February we had the UDP and the bill showed zero so we gave a cash tip.

Are you saying that this has changed and they are adding 18% to the UDP bill ie Le Bistro $20 x 2 would show a $7.20 auto grat charge to my account?

this actually will make it easier for me as i will no longer leave a cash tip.

No it you buy the UDP, they will charge 18% of the package price e.g. 18% of $184. No bill in Le Bistro.

However it looks like those on an inclusive package promo UDP wont be paying the gratuity tax.

Reducing the pool from the dsc should not require an increase. Removing the specialty staff automatically increase pay to all left in the pool. This is just the line NCL has to say to justify this move. Frankly Ncl would need extra accounting to calculate who would get that extra 18% as I am sure specialty waitstaff don't just work at dinnertime. Meaning they still get a cut from the dsc for working the buffet or osheehans.

This is a money grab by Ncl as it sees all those cash tips they can't get their hands on before. Now they would have complete control and whether they distributed to the specialty waitstaff or not is anyone's guess. I can't help but think they are keeping some portion of it. The only winner in the short run is NCL. Passengers paying more, the crew not necessarily getting more but NCL is for certain.

Thanks for the info and the pictures. So surprise NCL is doing this...

I tried doing a mock purchase of the UDP and the price for the 7 day UDP

is $140.42. The 18% gratuity was already applied at checkout.

We got our UDP for free so I don't think this will affect our upcoming cruise on the Escape, but I'm very turned off by this sneaky move from NCL. :(

That was fast. I did it last night for both of our cruises, and no 18%. Edited - yep, just tried a mock one again and the price is raised by 18%.

Edited by SissasMomE

I'd like to know this, too. In looking at the new information on the website, the gratuity is added to the purchase price of UDP. Am I correct to assume that if you have UDP from the promo, that the 18% gratuity is also included and we will not be billed extra?

If you have the UDP as a promo OR if you paid for the UDP prior to today....

there will be NO auto 18% gratuity added.

Harriet

Harriet, the quote from Niquein99 was "The rep at NCL said effective today, that specialty restaurant staff are NOT included in the DSC".

Like you, I would assume they are still working some shifts elsewhere for other meals, so not sure how they handle that if they are no longer in the DSC pool, unless they assume the 18% from dinner makes up for it. I am assuming that the 18% will go into a pool just like with the DSC from which NCL will determine how much "incentive" will go to the staff at designated times. I doubt they are seeing that 18% x X number of tables in their paychecks.

I agree there has never been any confirmation that the Butlers are now IN the DSC pool, but it is the only explaination for charging a premium on suite DSC and stating as justification that mumbo jumbo about suites being larger and having the services of a butler and concierge.

We won't be changing our DSC payment at all (IMO-that is penalizing the staff & not hurting management that made this change)...but we've always tipped additional at the spec room and probably won't anymore. This is less than what we normally add, so it'll save $for me ;)
Same with me, I won't penalize the non-specialty restaurant staff by removing or deducting the DSC and wouldn't ever think of doing it under any circumstances. In that I usually tip close (Cagney's was the only one that was not 18 percent at 16 percent) or more than the 18 percent at the specialty restaurants, it just makes it easier for me because I don't have to bring cash down to dinner.

I just called NCL because I was concerned that since I already pre-paid for 3 specialty restaurants, that they'll now charge me the 18% gratuity at the end of our meal when we board the Getaway in May. Note I've already pre-paid the DSC too. The rep at NCL said that since I pre-paid for the restaurant, that I won't be affected by the additional 18%, but that anyone that pre-books and pays going forward will see the 18% charged reflected when they purchase.

I questioned the principle of double-tipping, as the wait staff is supposed to be included in the daily service charge (DSC). The rep at NCL said effective today, that specialty restaurant staff are NOT included in the DSC. :eek: She also became very defensive and snippy with me when I asked that question. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's going on at NCL, but with this being my first cruise on NCL coming up, and having already booked another NCL cruise for next year, this leaves a very bad first impression.

I call BS on that. Regardless, we will not be dining in any specialty restaurants, and NCL lost revenue from us and the new people we are introducing to NCL. I can't see anyone in our group going for that "forced gratuity" nonsense. I certainly won't be steering them to any of the specialties.

Harriet, the quote from Niquein99 was "The rep at NCL said effective today, that specialty restaurant staff are NOT included in the DSC".

Like you, I would assume they are still working some shifts elsewhere for other meals, so not sure how they handle that if they are no longer in the DSC pool, unless they assume the 18% from dinner makes up for it. I am assuming that the 18% will go into a pool just like with the DSC from which NCL will determine how much "incentive" will go to the staff at designated times. I doubt they are seeing that 18% x X number of tables in their paychecks.

I agree there has never been any confirmation that the Butlers are now IN the DSC pool, but it is the only explaination for charging a premium on suite DSC and stating as justification that mumbo jumbo about suites being larger and having the services of a butler and concierge.

In reading these boards, I'm finding out that the info these reps give out may or may not always be accurate. :cool: But yes, as the rep got an attitude with me for even asking the question, that's what she told me. Is this the real reason for the changes, somehow I don't think we'll ever really know. I do know that if I decide to keep my booking for Escape next year, I'm not going to be double-billed by paying a DSC AND an 18% gratuity on top of that!

Edited by Niquein99

That was fast. I did it last night for both of our cruises, and no 18%. Edited - yep, just tried a mock one again and the price is raised by 18%.

I'm on the UK site, and the quoted price for the UDP has increased by 18%

The individual restaurants are still showing at the price excluding the gratuity, but if you try to reserve one then the checkout price is now showing 18% higher than it did yesterday.