what to do in Nassau and Castaway Cay if cold?

fsuchick97

I'm looking at booking a cruise in late Jan-early Feb and I'm not sure what there is to do on the islands if it is cold or if the water is too cold, any ideas?

We'll be traveling with 2 kids under 3 years old so cold water is especially not a great idea for them.

Would love to get your feedback, thanks!

We've done at least 7 DCL cruises in this time of year. MOST have been great, but there was one where I was on the beach, covered up with every towel and everything else I'd brought and finally had a stern talk with myself about going back to the ship! And I hadn't been near the water. NO ONE was in the water. It was really cold.

If the sun is warm but water cold, there is stuff to do on the island. Enjoy the band, watch the crab races, ride bikes (there are ones with a child seat available), etc. But if the air is in the 50s, just give up and go back to the ship. The pools on the ship are heated, but not warm enough to be comfy on a warm day. But they will have Open house hours in the Oceaneer's Club (meaning you can take people of any age and you must stay with them). In weather that is extremely cold or rainy they will often add some on board activities for the day. Lunch is available in one sit down restaurant and the pool deck outlets NORMALLY, again when the weather is really bad they will add the buffet on board. They didn't prevent us from being on the island and many people got off the ship.....and then many people got back on the ship!

But, that was one trip out of 7. 6 of 7 we had decent to lovely weather in January to mid February.

We went last February during that deep freeze that happened I think the second week. We rode bikes, played volley ball. There are play structures for the kids, and of course, lunch. The day warmed up after lunch time so my son went in the water, but I didn't. A lot of excursions were cancelled as well. (Jet skiing and also parasailing) due to windy weather. We also heard that the ship that was supposed to dock the day before us was unable to dock due to the choppy sea. That's a possibility too. I guess then you would have a sea day.