Surprise RCCL Passenger

Michaelx2

Well, this is my first post, regarding my first cruise, and I think I'll stay out of the politics that seem to be running around on here right now. But I do have a couple questions.

I was booked on the Carnival Elation for Nov. 6th. That of course, as most of you probably know was cancelled. Rather then paying the increased amount they were asking for to move to a different ship, I shopped around and found the Rhapsody of the Seas at the same port on the same departure date. Different ports, but being our first cruise, I was just happy to still be able to go on a much anticipated vacation. And I can totally live with Key West, the Caymans and Cozumel.

On to the questions. I had done a bunch of research on the Elation. What differences can I expect between RCCL and Carnival? The rooms are smaller and the ship is older. Has anyone gone on both ships and can offer a comparison? Do's and don'ts etc.

This has been a great research site so I thought I would actually jump in and participate. Any information is appreciated!

I have been on both ships and like the Rhapsody much more than I did the Elation. The Rhapsody does have a quieter decor. Standard rooms on the Rhapsody may be smaller, but seemed larger to me that the rooms on the Elation because of the way they are decorated and arranged. I think we were in E86 (a category 6D) on the Elation and it seemed dark and cramped. There was no seating area except the beds and one straight chair. We were in a suite on the Rhapsody, but I love to check out the other room types. Even the inside room across the hall from us had a small couch. We especially love the feel of the Windjammer restaurant vs. Tiffany's.

I personally was made to feel more like a special guest on the Rhapsody than I was on the Elation. Just a lot of little things that added to the feeling - not being able to find a cabin attendent, no towel animals (atleast from our attendent), the deck crew cleaning up the aft pool while our gang was still out there in full force - at four p.m. The shopping area seemed dark and cramped as well. I tried getting close to the gold by the inch a couple of different times and couldn't squeze my way in. Like I said, none of these are big items, but the little things do get to you after a while.

Our meal service was great on both. Ports were great on both. I love the 24 hour a day frozen yogurt available on the Elation.

We are not party types (we've rowdied on down like Hank Williams, Jr.) , but it sounds like there are good options on both ships.

Still in all, having compared both, we chose to return to the Rhapsody for our next cruise.

Hang tight 24 hours if your cruise is more than 1 month out. Right now they are unable to move people to the cruise ships as planned because the good people of NO are too afraid to be on water. They will not move to the cruise ships, they are too scared. They are currently reavaluating this plan. This per CNN 5 minutes ago.

Well, I was so disappointed by the way Carnival handled my phone call inquiring about my cancellation email I had received from them and their "take it or leave it" attitude when they said that the same itinerary on a different ship that week would cost me nearly $600 more that needed to be paid right then, that I already made my reservation on RCCL.

It was more about the vacation and experiencing the cruise then those particular ports. So it looks like it all worked out.

The room we have on the Rhapsody is deck three towards the back of the ship. Outside cabin. There were only two balconies left on the whole ship when I called. A lot of carnival people were moving over the rep said. I've heard both that you HAVE to have a balcony to it's not worth the money. I comprimised with an ocean view. We'll see how we like the experience and maybe spring for the balcony next time. The rep said I had to be placed in a triple/quad room and since there was just two of us, we might be upgraded anyway. No way to know until we check in at the dock they said. We shall see.

I had read that carnival is much more a party ship. I could take it or leave it. I'm 36 so I'm on the cusp of wanting a more peaceful vacation vs. partying till the wee hours. I'm definately looking forward to good food and some good shows though.

And it's always nice to be made to feel special/important on a vacation rather then a ticket holder.

I will be on the Rhapsody for the fourth time next week (9/18) and it really is a special ship. People from the south really are friendly, especially Texans, it seems! It is an older ship but very nice, somehow I envision the older Carnival ships to not hold up so well (though I've been on larger Carnival ships like the Destiny and Conquest when they were new and they were nice also.)

But there's something a little 'extra' about the Rhapsody. I still prefer the midsized RCI ships (and RCI overall over Carnival, though we've had some nice Carnival cruises, too) such as the Radiance and Brilliance. But I actually would prefer a Rhapsody class ship over the Voyager class ones!

So have a great time!

Ellen

Sorry about your troubles in having to switch cruises. I think you will love the Rhapsody (we do). Their C@A rewards club is better, you will find. The Rhapsody was voted the "friendliest ship" in the western hemisphere. You will see why.

Personally, I am from Houston, and I have my doubts to the clean-up of the Elation and Sensation after the evacuees finally leave. As a nurse here, I am seeing the devastation of the Astrodome, Reliants and GR Brown. That many people living anywhere can leave a pretty deep trail. Hope Carnival is up to the task of completely re-doing their ships!!

This is not a judgment, just an observation. I have been in the middle of this in Houston....

Alphawave

Welcome BigDCruiser!

Your first cruise will be wonderful and soon you'll be addicted like the rest of us on these boards. While we haven't sailed on the Rhapsody, we have always had happy cruises sailing with RCI. Take a positive attitude - remembering you're on vacation - and you'll have a fabulous vacation.

Post a review once you return - we'd love to hear about your first cruise.

Sue

Archived