Going Down The Hudson-Breakaway

Squirty27

August--should be nice weather. Go topside so you can move back and forth from port to starboard. You'll want to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty on the starboard side and the manmade canyons of Manhattan on the port. You'll also have a great view of the Verrazano Bridge as you sail underneath. On the port side is Fort Hamilton, the last active duty army post in New York City. It was once commanded by Robert E. Lee. On the starboard side, on Staten Island, is old Fort Wadsworth. Those forts once guarded the approaches to New York. Look for Battery Weed right on the harbor and Fort Tompkins on the bluff above.

I'm booked for that sailing too!!! :)

Cool - I see you were in the Haven for your 4th - will you be there again?

We are on the 12 deck/balcony rooms - three rooms in a row - traveling with our son, daughter-in-law and their children (Noah - 6 and Julia will almost be 2) and my mom (80). Son has a mini-suite we have family balcony rooms. He wanted a bathtub for their kids - we are ok with just showers.

Where will you be coming from?

Cool - I see you were in the Haven for your 4th - will you be there again?

We are on the 12 deck/balcony rooms - three rooms in a row - traveling with our son, daughter-in-law and their children (Noah - 6 and Julia will almost be 2) and my mom (80). Son has a mini-suite we have family balcony rooms. He wanted a bathtub for their kids - we are ok with just showers.

Where will you be coming from?

This is actually my first cruise not in a suite. I'm definitely going to miss the suite life lol I have an aft balcony on deck 9 this cruise. I had a suite booked on the Dawn to Bermuda for the last week of Aug but we now can't go that week so we switched to the BA and the prices for the Haven are ridiculous!! I've never paid that much for the Haven on the BA that they're charging now. It's just me n my bf this cruise. We'll probably stay on our aft balcony for sail away. That's where I was last year for sail away (aft penthouse) and the previous year we stayed on the Haven sun deck for sail away. This is my 3rd cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda. I'm so excited! I live in Staten Island.

Edited by Godiva830

This is actually my first cruise not in a suite. I'm definitely going to miss the suite life lol I have an aft balcony on deck 9 this cruise. I had a suite booked on the Dawn to Bermuda for the last week of Aug but we now can't go that week so we switched to the BA and the prices for the Haven are ridiculous!! I've never paid that much for the Haven on the BA that they're charging now. It's just me n my bf this cruise. We'll probably stay on our aft balcony for sail away. That's where I was last year for sail away (aft penthouse) and the previous year we stayed on the Haven sun deck for sail away. This is my 3rd cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda. I'm so excited! I live in Staten Island.

Which deck 9 aft do you have? We just booked one for thanksgiving week. This is our 1st family cruise with NCL.

Danielle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all have balconies on the port side - so we could probably stay on them, too but I understand being up top when going under the Verrazano is pretty cool. We lived north of Rochester in Hilton, will be picking up on son in Ithaca and staying overnight on Saturday in Mahwah, that way we will be pretty close to the port.

Thanks Carnac - that is very descriptive. :-) I understand you can get a nice view of the Freedom Tower, too.

You're welcome. You'll get a very good view of the Freedom Tower. Just as you're getting underway, as the ship backs away from the pier, you can set up for a nice photo of USS Intrepid, with the Freedom Tower in the distant background. Later you'll go right past it.

You're welcome. You'll get a very good view of the Freedom Tower. Just as you're getting underway, as the ship backs away from the pier, you can set up for a nice photo of USS Intrepid, with the Freedom Tower in the distant background. Later you'll go right past it.

Carnac - do you think the views from our 12th deck balcony will be nice - or should we go topside?

Thank you

I'm sure they'll be great. The light in the afternoon in departure day is better for photographing the Manhattan side. Returning to NY, it will be better for taking pictures on the NJ side, but you'll need to be up early. I like to be topside so I can move from side to side, but it's also fun just to sit on your balcony, too.

We all have balconies on the port side - so we could probably stay on them, too but I understand being up top when going under the Verrazano is pretty cool. We lived north of Rochester in Hilton, will be picking up on son in Ithaca and staying overnight on Saturday in Mahwah, that way we will be pretty close to the port.

My first breakaway cruise I had a port side cabin and we were able to see the fireworks from our balcony. Going under the Verrazano is pretty cool especially since the ship is so tall it looks like it could touch the bridge. Everyday I drive over that bridge to work and everyday I drive over it, I think to myself "I can't wait to be sailing under it!" Lol

Thanks Carnac - will have to see what others would like to do. I have actually seen Lady Liberty and been up in her but some of the others haven't, so we may go topside. If not, we will sit on our balcony and enjoy a drink while going out of the river (we have the drink package).