QM2 Transatlantic, 10 May 2016

MarkBearSF

Not surprisingly, I'm pretty sure I'm the first one posting for this sailing - Westbound Transatlantic Crossing, Southampton to NY, 10-17 May 2016.

Looking forward to this crossing (now 14 months away).

As the time approaches, I hope we get a roll call going here - and hope to see a lot of friendly folks at the Friends of Dorothy get-togethers. (I assume they're still in the Commodore Club).

I'm Mark. I'll be crossing with my husband, Steve. We're recently-retired bears from San Francisco. We decided a couple of weeks ago to do a no-hassle trip that still was a little bit exotic. We decided to do a crossing with a few days on either end for shows and stuff. We were overdue for a proper London visit and as for NY - well, as Broadway addicts, we're always looking for an excuse to spend a few days within walking distance of Sardi's upstairs bar.

Other cruising/Cunard stuff - this will be our third crossing (LOVE them) and our second on the QM2. This will be our 28th cruise altogether, but the QM2 and the QE2 hold a special place in our hearts and are, by far, the ships we've repeated the most.

I can hardly wait until I'm enjoying a scotch in a white leather chair in the Commodore Club, as we charge across the North Atlantic on the only ship purpose-built for that very itinerary!

Mark (and Steve)

Edited by MarkBearSF

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

We're on the QM2 on the eastbound 5/17. Sorry we will miss you.

We are John and Phil from Palm Springs. We're actually going to be married on 5/14 so the trip will be a "honeymoon." We've only been together for 20 years!

We've sailed a number of ships including a TA on celebrity last November. But this will be our first Cunard ship.

Would love to hear anything about your experience on the QM2.

John

hi there guys. I "think" i'll be doing this with friends. Just waiting for them to make a decision. they are new cruisers. well, one in the past each. so that counts as new. lol.

Fingers crossed and i'll be seeing you on board.

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Sorry to be late in replying. (I wasn't expecting anything, to be frank).

FYI - I started an "official" CC Roll Call in the main section for the voyage. By the way, we're arriving on the Friday prior. (Gawd, I think England or Cunard and I start talking like them. Next thing I'll be saying "whilst" and writing dates with the date first) I already booked our hotel, the "every hotel Piccadilly" in Soho.

We're planning on hiring a car for the transfer to Southampton on Tuesday to also stop in Stonehenge & Salisbury and could use a couple or two if anybody's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this list up.

John - be sure that all of you keep an eye out for "Friends of Dorothy" meetings. When we crossed in 2009, they were held each afternoon in the Commodore Lounge. (which we followed with trivia in the Kings Arms and then Tea in the Queens Room).

...also pick up tickets to your preferred Planetarium show (mmm, Neil deGrasse Tyson) first thing in the morning. They go fast, but there are always plenty of 'em around 10 AM. (Shows in the early afternoon, seemingly to provide nap time after lunch)

John - be sure that all of you keep an eye out for "Friends of Dorothy" meetings. When we crossed in 2009, they were held each afternoon in the Commodore Lounge. (which we followed with trivia in the Kings Arms and then Tea in the Queens Room).

HA! Can you tell that I'm eagerly anticipating our visit to London?

Trivia was held daily in the Golden Lion Pub. (The Kings Arms is the bear pub in Soho)

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. Seems I forgot to confirm this months back. Yes, I'm on with one friend (nebie) as of now. Still waiting to hear from a couple others. I do enjoy see cruising through the eyes of new cruisers. Only seven months to go. lol

I live in NYC and London. If anyone needs any info on England, I'll try to help.

Bryan

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just updated the manifest in the main roll call.

In case you were unaware, this is a large roll call - with about half of our members returning from an Eastbound crossing on the Caribbean Princess.

One of the members of that group has built quite an extensive site on shutterfly.com. You should definitely check it out! If you wish to sign up in advance for trivia teams or other groups - that's the place to do it.

https://qm2may102016.shutterfly.com/

Hi Bryan - any other info to add to the roll call besides your name?

I also got a PM from a couple (who I'm thinking are same-sex) and waiting on a reply before updating the online list.

Ok let's see. I'm Bryan Murphy. I have a friend, Phil, from la la land on board. His first crossing. I have homes in NY and London. I'm a widower. I lost my husband four years ago and..........! Need I say more to that? One day at a time. So I travel. One day I'll slow down. I suppose.

I love my crossings. All those sea days. YIPPPPPEEEE

I'm doing a guarantee so no cabin yet.

1994708634_1bryanlogo.jpg.7392fe9eb77ab1bdfc45a652b893cfe3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...