Departure/1st day questions

nk918

Hello..

1st time cruiser curious about a few things...... :confused:

The boat leaves the dock at 5pm... what is the earliest time I am allowed on the boat and what is a good time to board?

And will we have our bags intime to change for dinner or should I carry a change of nice clothes in a carry on?

One more.. is there any dress code for boarding? I wanted to wear capris with a tank and my husband will probably wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt. Is this ok?

Thank you for any help!!!! These boards are a LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

For embarkation, you want to be as comfortable as possible so your outfits sound perfect.

You might have your bags before dinner but you might not. Usually on the first night, they are lenient about dress because they know not everybody will have their bags yet. But if you want to make sure you have something to change into, then yes bring a change of clothes in your carryon. But don't forget your swimsuit as well so you can immediately get in the hottubs once you get on board.

I know people have been able to board starting around 11 but they usually won't let you go to your staterooms until 1. You might ask this question over on the RCI board, and specifically reference Rhapsody in your thread so you'll get responses from people who have cruised her before.

The response from 96 is right on. I would add only the following. While it is true that the dress rules are more relaxed first night out because some people don't have bags (most do, but you can't absolutely count on it) shorts are usually harder to get away with than even jeans for dinner (lunch and breakfast you can wear either in the dining room). My advice is to pack a pair of dockers type pants in your carryon for hubby. Capris will probably be ok for you on first night, but I would pack an alternate outfit in carryon for two reasons: first, you can get pretty hot and sweaty just getting to the ship, or someone could spill a drink, and you'll just feel more comfortable having the option to change; second, what if, God forbid, your luggage takes more than a day to arrive. That second set of clothes is something you'll be thankful to have at hand. Bon Voyage!

nk918,

Your profile doesn't tell us where you're from nor do you say which port you're cruising out of.

If you're flying from a city in the USA and spending a few pre-cruise days in Europe, South America or some other interesting city, I'd opt for getting aboard the ship as late as possible. What we do, is check out of our hotel and have the front desk hold our luggage. Then after our last day in a city, we go back to the hotel, get our luggage and make sure we're on the ship at least 1.5 hours before it sails

Wear whatever you want to board. Remember that they'll take your embarkation photo that you might want to buy later in the cruise.

As another poster said, dress codes are more casual the first night as some people may not have their luggage. However, we prefer to have something nice to change for dinner and the evening after our showers.

Have a wonderful cruise.

The boat leaves the dock at 5pm... what is the earliest time I am allowed on the boat and what is a good time to board?

The earliest time you can board is going to be around noon. The best time to board depnds on what you mean by "best"; I don't like lines so I'd shoot for 1 (or a little before) to miss the early birds who have been standing in line since 10:30 & avoid the stragglers. Anything later than that is a bigger zoo than the early birds.

And will we have our bags in time to change for dinner or should I carry a change of nice clothes in a carry on?

You should have your bags but there is no guarentee. Flying from a cold to warm climate to cruise, I dress in layers & peel away. I also stash a bathing suit & sun screen in my carry on to change once on board.

One more.. is there any dress code for boarding? I wanted to wear capris with a tank and my husband will probably wear khaki shorts and a t-shirt. Is this ok?

There is no dress code for boarding per se but most people dress up a little. This is a a special treat & you will have your pictures taken twice -- one for security & once as a souvenier. As I peel off my layers, I try to leave something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen wearing for dinner in the dining room if my bags don't arrive.

Enjoy.

We like to get on board as early as possible and have always had our luggage in plenty of time for dinner. We eat 2nd seating/8:30 but its there by 5:30 or so. And, you can always order room service, including whatever is on the menu that night.

When we lived in cold NJ we always had shorts in our carry on so we could change when we got on the ship. Whenever you do get on, go to the buffet as they will be serving lunch. Then explore the ship. Don't be afriad to join other passengers at any table, a great way to meet people.

Know you'll love your cruise!!! And, keep Smiling................Bonnie J.............

My wife and I board in NYC - generally for a 4:00 departure boarding starts around 1:00 or so. We usually arrive at 12:30 and wait - the process is usually fairly quick. Wear comfortable clothes, don't have to "dress up" but you may want to lounge on the ship and have a drink. Our luggage is always in the room in plenty of time before dinner, based on our NCL Dawn cruises. Have fun -

Archived