thomson hellenic,ancient wonder or treasures of the med

can any one help we as a family have only cruised on royals ships ( freedom,liberty and independence) this year how ever for two weeks in the school holidays its just too expensive for us so we had decided to go for a package holiday but for the same money we can do a thomson cruise on the Majesty sailing round Greece and Tukey and a weeks stay, Spirit sailing round Turkey and Greece the last one Dream sailing round Spain and Italy are the ships that bad all the ports are fantastic and we love cruising has any one notice any kids stuff on board it will be in august two girls 12 and 17 is the entertainment good also the food and are the drinks priced ok sorry for all the question but whens its alot of money i just want to get it right:confused::)

Hi kcms4

I think you will get lots of different replies as everyone has different expectations, but for what its worth we have been cruising with Thomson for over twelve years now and amassed a cruise history of about fifty and whilst, yes the ships are tired we find the staff, food, entertainment and fellow British passengers suit us perfectly and look forward to our holidays every year you can tell from the name that we are in the older bracket but our daughters family went last year with our two small grandchildren (7 & 8) and had a great time.

I will say that in all of that time we have had some problems but they have always been sorted.

Also remember that on a Thomson cruise you only have one day at sea per week (unless you are in the Caribbean on Dream) you fly with them so if the flight is delayed they will wait for you.

We have our next cruise booked for May and then again in Sep.

If you require any specific info on the ships just ask but we have never been on Majesty.

Good Luck

Roger:)

If your used to sailing with Royal C and the American lines, chances are good that you will dislike Thomson a great deal. Comparing these ships would be like comparing a fine classy car to an old banger!

I was on the Majesty last month and would only recommend it to someone I did not like. Food is in no way comparable to the American lines.

Don't waste your money and your valuable holiday time.

I've been on the Dream twice, Majesty once & am booked on the Spirit this summer. I also went on Freedom last October after the others. My first view of Freedom was it was huge, amazing & like nothing I'd ever been on before - it is a totally different holiday experience and I don't think you can compare it with Thomson.

However you know you like cruises and you're considering a package holiday as an alternative and I would say that a Thomson cruise is just as good as a package holiday in a resort, better because I love being in a different port every day and being entertained at night!

In my opinion the entertainment is fantastic (the shows are much more "British" than on the big ships), you also get the more fun game shows & karaoke - depending on what you like. I've never been bored.

I don't have kids, but they do have kids clubs and groups of teenagers always seem to find each other, but they don't have the climbing walls etc.

The ports of call are usually the main reason I book as they have some fantastic and different itineraries.

The food is fine and drinks prices are reasonable, even better if you can get the cheap all inclusive package, but again you won't get the massive range of drinks options the big ships have.

Cabins will be nothing like as modern as you are used to, but again they're as nice as a 3 star+ hotel.

I'd say read up on the ships and see if they sound like something you'd enjoy, maybe compare with a resort you'd consider, but really don't expect the ships be the same as the cruises you've experienced before. They are a lot smaller for one thing.

That's not a negative, as I've said I'm back on Thomson this summer because I know what I'm getting and I've always enjoyed myself, but as you'll see from the advice of others it will also depend on what kind of people you are and what you like personally too.

Hope you have a fab holiday whatever you decide to do [emoji3]

can any one help we as a family have only cruised on royals ships ( freedom,liberty and independence) this year how ever for two weeks in the school holidays its just too expensive for us so we had decided to go for a package holiday but for the same money we can do a thomson cruise on the Majesty sailing round Greece and Tukey and a weeks stay, Spirit sailing round Turkey and Greece the last one Dream sailing round Spain and Italy are the ships that bad all the ports are fantastic and we love cruising has any one notice any kids stuff on board it will be in august two girls 12 and 17 is the entertainment good also the food and are the drinks priced ok sorry for all the question but whens its alot of money i just want to get it right:confused::)

Really depends what your children like to do - if they need to be entertained by ice rinks & climbing walls, cinemas & full-on teens clubs then Thomson won't be for you however we have been cruising with Thomson since my teens were 9 & 12 - now 15 & 18 and we have always loved the Thomson ships - we enjoy time together as a family - exploring at every port of call & then getting back on the ship & chilling out for the afternoon. We then enjoy the meals & entertainment in the evening. There are others teens onboard & they tend to mix together in the evening. There is a teens club but nothing to write home about (although the younger kids clubs are apparently very good).

Itineraries are fab. I would say Dream or Spirit may be more suitable only because from what I have been told (not been on Majesty & wouldn't go on her) there is more outside deck space on the other 2 ships. We went on the Dream last year - loved the ship & itinerary but hardly any other teens onboard for the 2 weeks in peak August holiday season.