? Upgrade at Purser's Desk

coho ken

My wife and I are sailing with RCCL for the first time on Majesty of the Seas in Dec. Booked many moons ago, an inside cabin for a great price, I'm now looking for a possible upgrade to an outside cabin. Current prices are too high for me to switch. If there are upgrades available at Purser's desk when we board, does RCCL give you a fair price to upgrade? Or, will they try to charge use the extra $120 each it would cost now to upgrade? Not sure how it works? Any input form past experiences would be great!

Upgrades are done before you board the ship. When you check in at the pier, look for the pier coordinator's desk, usually to one end of all the desks for the various decks on the ship. They can upgrade you, should any be available. If you search this Forum for UPGRADE or PIER UPGRADE, you will find a list of prioces which are, on average, better than you would have paid.

Good question. I have found that if the ship is filling up fairly fast, and I want to upgrade, I need to do it before the cruise. If the ship appears to have cabins left before sailing, the pursers desk will give you a better deal at sailing. I use RCCL to make a dummy reservation, or other online TAs that have direct connections with RCCL and show what is left in any catagory. In the past I have found the pursers desk to be about half price.

Since cruising has once again become so popular, there are not many ships that sail with many cabins empty.

Rick

We have done upgrades both on the pier with the pier coordinator and also on the ship at the pursers desk (guest relations) after boarding. Our last upgrade was on the Serenade 11 night Hawaii. Did this at the pursers desk. They quoted $600 to move from a JS to a GS but ended up giving it to us for free. We pointed out that we were b2b, diamond and the JS we had was notorious for being noisy. They liked my husbands reasons I guess.

We always check on upgrades but book the catagory we will be happy with. Haven't seen many upgrades lately as the ships seem to be full.

Sure hope this post doesn't go into cyberspace like all my others..these boards are awful lately.

Thanks for the responses, I will take my chances with deck 4 inside and wait until we get to the port check-in or purser's and ask to purchase an upgrade. With where the prices are right now, I don't see how they will book up. Still many cabins available by doing the "ghost reservation" but the price IMO is too high!

Archived