Threat raised to "critical " for Nassau !!

FIRELT5

On our recent cruise we noted a very heavy police presence in and around the port area. Felt very safe but also took recommended precautions such as not wearing flashy, expensive jewelry and kept my purse very close. Walked around, did some shopping, had lunch at Senor Frog's and back to the ship.

Tracy

We visited Nassau again earlier this month. Quick on/off the ship just because we had only 3 port days on the Getaway cruise. If you've never been to Nassau, I highly recommend you stay AWAY from the straw market and the 3 for $10 shirt stores.

For souvenirs, I do recommend the Del Sol (shirts, etc., change color in the sun) Cariloha (bamboo clothing, etc.) and, of course, Pirana Joe's. This part of Bay Street is very safe and the Main Street Ice Cream Shop with the second floor balcony from which to eat, relax and enjoy the sites, below.

As in any high-tourist area (which brings out the predators), keep yourself and your valuables out of harm's way. Stay sober and in the safe areas of town.

:D

We visited Nassau again earlier this month. Quick on/off the ship just because we had only 3 port days on the Getaway cruise. If you've never been to Nassau' date=' I highly recommend you stay AWAY from the straw market and the 3 for $10 shirt stores.

For souvenirs, I do recommend the Del Sol (shirts, etc., change color in the sun) Cariloha (bamboo clothing, etc.) and, of course, Pirana Joe's. This part of Bay Street is very safe and the Main Street Ice Cream Shop with the second floor balcony from which to eat, relax and enjoy the sites, below.

As in any high-tourist area (which brings out the predators), keep yourself and your valuables out of harm's way. Stay sober and in the safe areas of town.

:D[/quote']

The stores you recommend are chains, and nothing that feature any type of local products, so might as well avoid those also.

But good advice! Stay sober and safe. Be aware of people around you. Don't wear your expensive jewelry. Keep track of purse & wallet. Don't pull out your cell phone in public, etc.

Those that are posting "well I was there and nothing happened to me!" need to realize how completely irrelevant those statements are. Nothing happened to me either, but those individual experiences certainly don't mean it's a safe place. Take precautions and enjoy the port.

Senor Frogs? Solely because the kids like it.

I hope its for the alcoholic beverages because you can get better food elsewhere, literally right next door in the plaza. Personally, that place is too noisy and rowdy for my tastes....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I hope its for the alcoholic beverages because you can get better food elsewhere, literally right next door in the plaza. Personally, that place is too noisy and rowdy for my tastes....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

No - they were too little the first time we went. I think because it's noisy and rowdy they like it LOL You know how kids are!

We do the same. There is always a heavy police presence right by the port. I can't stand Nassau. Think it's a complete dump. We usually just go to Senor Frogs ... which, by the way, has stolen my credit card info every year for the last 4 years :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh! That's terrible!

We hate Nassau- last summer it was

Filthy and we wee accosted every three feet by over zealous moped renters.

Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The stores you recommend are chains, and nothing that feature any type of local products, so might as well avoid those also.

But good advice! Stay sober and safe. Be aware of people around you. Don't wear your expensive jewelry. Keep track of purse & wallet. Don't pull out your cell phone in public, etc.

Those that are posting "well I was there and nothing happened to me!" need to realize how completely irrelevant those statements are. Nothing happened to me either, but those individual experiences certainly don't mean it's a safe place. Take precautions and enjoy the port.

This says it all

Great advice

Next time, take CA$H! :D

LuLu

Logical, but I don't carry the amount of cash we would need to places like this. It's no big deal. The credit card company always catches it, freezes the card, removes the charges, and issues a new one. One thing I always tell people though is to never use a debit card while traveling. I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare that would be!

Logical, but I don't carry the amount of cash we would need to places like this. It's no big deal. The credit card company always catches it, freezes the card, removes the charges, and issues a new one. One thing I always tell people though is to never use a debit card while traveling. I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare that would be!

Wow that surprises me as I follow your posts and agree with you common sense posts

Señor frogs is so close and how much cash does it cost you anyway?

Even if its $200 so what?

The purr is safe and you should line a savvy traveler that can kerot valuable on their person with no problem ( just like me)

After the first incident I would never hand a card to them again

I know charges can get reversed and you aren't responsible but really now... 4 years running?

I would also just not patronize the place and explain why to the kids.

Just mho

Wow that surprises me as I follow your posts and agree with you common sense posts

The purr is safe and you should line a savvy traveler that can kerot valuable on their person with no problem ( just like me)

I know charges can get reversed and you aren't responsible but really now... 4 years running? What kind of people dies this ace hire? And do you really want them knowing your name?

Just mho

I am so surprised that you keep going back

I follow your posts and agree with most of the very logical knowledgable posts you make but this knocks me for a loop

You really should stop going there if for nothing else but to question the type of people they hire

I would hate to see the kitchen

I know charges can get reversed and you aren't responsible but really now... 4 years running?

Just mho

Not a big deal at all. As stated above, it's taken care of before I even notice it. After the first time, I set aside a "senor frogs" card lol It has almost become a yearly joke now. We all have the UBP this time. I doubt we will even get off the ship in Nassau.

Edited by SissasMomE

I don't think it's irrelevant at all to post comments about one's experiences in Nassau (or any port). Isn't that, after all, the purpose of the Cruise Critic forums? The compilation of various views and experiences can inform others.

Prudence and caution are always wise, but why dwell on only the negative? As a single, female traveler I am focused on safety to be sure, but without all the fearful prohibitions. On my last visit (from the Breakaway) March 2015, I had a very pleasant time in Nassau. It's general shabbiness did not negate the charming waitress at the bar near port, or the kind vendor in the straw market who sewed my granddaughter's name on the (of course) Frozen purse I bought for her. Lighten up, be polite and friendly, and use common sense. No dire warnings needed, really.

Edited by Mira28

I don't think it's irrelevant at all to post comments about one's experiences in Nassau (or any port). Isn't that, after all, the purpose of the Cruise Critic forums? The compilation of various views and experiences can inform others.

Prudence and caution are always wise, but why dwell on only the negative? As a single, female traveler I am focused on safety to be sure, but without all the fearful prohibitions. On my last visit (from the Breakaway) March 2015, I had a very pleasant time in Nassau. It's general shabbiness did not negate the charming waitress at the bar near port, or the kind vendor in the straw market who sewed my granddaughter's name on the (of course) Frozen purse I bought for her. Lighten up, be polite and friendly, and use common sense. No dire warnings needed, really.

I agree everyone has a right to post their experiences, but people should know not to take official warnings lightly. Many people post how much more dangerous their city is. First of all, if it was that dangerous few people posting here would live there. ;) I can relate to a dangerous city. We live in a beach town literally next door to Miami. Every morning it seems the news is reporting another murder. Most mornings it's more than one. The thing is they're mostly in the same couple of areas & not somewhere I as a local or any tourist would want to go. It would be disingenuous for me to say any place is safer than my city. :rolleyes: Where I live is perfectly safe & I know where not to go. It would be smart for any tourist to be aware that there are places in Miami you should avoid. The same is true for anywhere. If you live in the area, you know those places. If you're a tourist, it's wise to heed warnings & not take chances. Others experiences will not guarantee your safety.