Discover Card?

RCLcruiser2012

I have researched online but got mixed reviews...Basically I have enough points to get $200 off my current cruise...E certificate. I have to transfer my booked cruise to a Discover Card cruise with Carnival if that makes sense... Is there any CONS to doing this?? I am skeptical...Anyone have experience doing this??

Edited by RCLcruiser2012

I have researched online but got mixed reviews...Basically I have enough points to get $200 off my current cruise...E certificate. I have to transfer my booked cruise to a Discover Card cruise with Carnival if that makes sense... Is there any CONS to doing this?? I am skeptical...Anyone have experience doing this??

I've always been leery of doing this. Discover is simply partnering with a travel agency so you would lose access to make any changes/inquiries directly with Carnival. You would have to go through the TA for everything. Typically, the fine print also states that the reward is for new bookings only.

Can you just redeem the points for a discover gift card or statement credit? Much easier to just apply the gift card or statement credit to your Carnival booking.

Exactly... I am very leary too...You have to apply it as an e certificate and you have to transfer your existing booking to a "Discovery Card" booking by calling a special Carnival number that only deals with this....I wish I could get a good old fashioned gift card and apply it but it doesn't work that way... That would be too easy. ;) I have about $250 in "points" so can use those points for an e certificate for $100 that transfers into $200....

I have done this as a new booking, not after I've already booked with Carnival. I was not aware that was an option. If so I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm paid in full for my May cruise.

The booking was with cruise and vacation desk. I redeemed a cashback reward for double. I redeemed $40 in points for $80 voucher off my cruise. It was very easy to deal with.

Keep in mind that a $200 voucher is only good on 10+ day cruises. $160 voucher is for balcony rooms, $120 voucher is for oceanview and $80 is valid for all classes. All of these have to be 6 days or longer.