Ski Jacket Required?

stanjj111

I've been stewing over what to do about a jacket for months now. Time is up. We leave for Alaska in just one month and I still have nothing to wear. We live in the Deep South where we see some moderate cold but not sustained or with wind chills making it feel colder. We get by with sweaters, mostly.

We recently returned home to Alaska from a seven week trip which included forty-two nights on a cruise ship to Antarctica and around part of South America. A woman from the Deep South on the Antarctic cruise was well traveled, but had only traveled in hot/warm weather regions. She had no problem adequately dressing using clothing from her closet but layering.

In the past folks have posted their Alaska packing lists on Cruise Critic. Use the Cruise Critic search function to find them. There was one particular post I remember reading three or four years ago which might be of interest -- after returning home from their Alaska cruise the person posted their packing list, a list of what they took but didn't use, and a brief list of what they hadn't taken but could have used.

I've been stewing over what to do about a jacket for months now. Time is up. We leave for Alaska in just one month and I still have nothing to wear. We live in the Deep South where we see some moderate cold but not sustained or with wind chills making it feel colder. We get by with sweaters, mostly.

IOW, I feel like I am going to need a ski type (puffy) jacket. I'd hate it if I were forced to stay inside b/c I was cold. I'm thinking about a TNF Thermoball Hoodie, does that sound like a good plan?

DH is a deer hunter so he has lots of Under Armour pieces to wear under his Columbia rain type jacket and pants. Should I just follow suit or will l be cold without a ski coat? Remember: early May, first cold weather cruise ever, Cajuns on board. Thanks in advance!

I looked up the jacket: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-thermoball-hoodie.html. Apparently it is one of the new high-tech lightweight jackets I've seen. LL Bean has their own version. It's nice. I like that you can pack it in the pocket. It's advertised as working in wet conditions, but it doesn't say waterproof. Also, I don't see a temperature rating. I still think layers are best for the versatility they offer: thermal base layer, fleece, then waterproof outer layer. But if I was going to take a "ski jacket", this is the one I would pack.

I looked up the jacket: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-thermoball-hoodie.html. Apparently it is one of the new high-tech lightweight jackets I've seen. LL Bean has their own version. It's nice. I like that you can pack it in the pocket. It's advertised as working in wet conditions, but it doesn't say waterproof. Also, I don't see a temperature rating. I still think layers are best for the versatility they offer: thermal base layer, fleece, then waterproof outer layer. But if I was going to take a "ski jacket", this is the one I would pack.

I appreciate your advice. I may skip it and go for the Venture jacket instead. If the rain in Alaska is anything like what we have here in Louisiana, not even a high quality rain jacket would keep me totally dry and warm.

I appreciate your advice. I may skip it and go for the Venture jacket instead. If the rain in Alaska is anything like what we have here in Louisiana, not even a high quality rain jacket would keep me totally dry and warm.

Venture jacket: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-39-s-venture-jacket_2.html.

This one looks like a winner! This is very similar to my waterproof jacket - only I swear by Gore-Tex.

I do feel for you and the need to stay dry and warm. No one wants to be cold, wet, and miserable. It's all relative to our own experiences, where we're from, and our individual physiology. I've known two people who relocated to the Philadelphia area from Tennessee, who would walk around with their hood up in a heavy parka, when I thought the weather was not so bad, balmy even. And this would be after they had been living in the area for several years! I've also seen people in Florida wearing heavy coats in 70 degree weather, whereas I was in short sleeves.

I do wonder now how the rain in Alaska compares to your experiences in Louisiana. I've never been to Louisiana. In Alaska, we had several rainy days, but it was mostly light misty rain. In Ketchikan, it was really raining, but it did not last all day.

Here's hoping you have many sunny days on your trip!:)

- only I swear by Gore-Tex.

If you've already bought your Gore-Tex or miracle fabric jacket specifically for SE Alaska, it does make you look 30 lbs lighter and 20 years younger. And stop reading right now.

Here's the science, and it may make your head hurt. It doesn't work in high humidity environments. The breathability (is that even a word?) is not a one way valve. Its desire is to balance the humidity outside your jacket to that of the inside (you) of the jacket. So, if the outside is high humidity (fog, mist, typical SE rain) the water vapor will move into your jacket to try to achieve balance (karma, the middle path). You can't push water uphill.

If magic worked rather than science, everyone's heros on Deadliest Catch would be wearing Gore-Tex rather than totally impervious Helly Hansen or Grunden raingear and would be bone dry at the end of a set/pull.

Everyone, including me, in SE has had one miracle fabric jacket. No one has bought a second.

Oh, my jacket? I have a set of Helly's for working outside. My knock-about jacket is a Marmot w/ pit zips (under arm zippered vents).

Edited by bottom-dragger

If you've already bought your Gore-Tex or miracle fabric jacket specifically for SE Alaska, it does make you look 30 lbs lighter and 20 years younger. And stop reading right now.

Here's the science, and it may make your head hurt. It doesn't work in high humidity environments. The breathability (is that even a word?) is not a one way valve. Its desire is to balance the humidity outside your jacket to that of the inside (you) of the jacket. So, if the outside is high humidity (fog, mist, typical SE rain) the water vapor will move into your jacket to try to achieve balance (karma, the middle path). You can't push water uphill.

If magic worked rather than science, everyone's heros on Deadliest Catch would be wearing Gore-Tex rather than totally impervious Helly Hansen or Grunden raingear and would be bone dry at the end of a set/pull.

Everyone, including me, in SE has had one miracle fabric jacket. No one has bought a second.

Oh, my jacket? I have a set of Helly's for working outside. My knock-about jacket is a Marmot w/ pit zips (under arm zippered vents).

Thank you for your scientific explanation. Science doesn't make my head hurt - it's what I do for a living!:D I've had my LL Bean Gore-Tex jacket for around 15 years. I wear it all the time. We live, work, and play on the Atlantic seaboard. We know humidity.:)

Yep, DH wears Helly Hansen gear when he deep-sea fishes, but he won't be taking it to Alaska. Too bulky. Instead, we'll travel with our Gore-Tex and do just fine.

Oh, and I'd bet you're not "bone dry" either when you finish working outside in your Hellys.;):)

I've taken Gore-Tex on the last 4 AK cruises and it was perfect for me. (I won't tell you about my first AK cruise when I had a water resistant jacket and spent hours out in the rain in Tracy Arm. Talk about wet. :eek:) Gore-Tex is light weight and no water gets through. I know that I would sweat so much in heavy rain gear that I would be soaked to the skin and miserable. It might not work as well as the non-breathable wear if I stayed out all day in heavy rain but I don't intend to do that. I will seek shelter if it gets too bad.

Edited by judynorth

• 1 month later...
It has been suggested that I waterproof my sneakers with a spray. Is this a good idea and what would you use. Thanks, Sstan

Absolutely! There are several products at Walmart in their shoe or camping area or just do a search on Amazon. I have waterproof Gore-Tex walking shoes for Alaska and wear Smartwool socks.

Edited by Alaskanb