Baby stroller on ship question

badney

Anyone traveled with a baby stroller? How easy (difficult?) is it to embark and disembark with a stroller? Not an umbrella stroller, but a deluxe one (I need all the storage underneath for baby gear and presents!)

Thank you for your help!!:)

We sailed with our daughter & her husband and their 3 kids on RCCL last year. Their oldest was 4 and their twins were 7 months, so they took a full-size DOUBLE stroller aboard! It worked fine...and believe me, people got out of their way when they came strolling around the corner!

I have to dissagree with constantcruiser, I feel that anyone with a stroller should have to pay double. They are nothing but a pain in the butt to anyone who does not have kids along with them. I paid to enjoy my leisurely walk around the deck without having to worry about some mother, not watching where she is going, and pushing that doublewide stroller into my ankles. Then afterwords saying, " sorry I did not see you". How in the H--- did she not see me, I am 6' and 230 pounds. I feel that they feel that just becouse they are pushing around a carpet muncher, everyone else should watch out for them. And before anyone says anything, I do have 2 girls of my own, and I never used a stroller. I let my wife carry them everywhere we went! That being said, have a great cruise.

Disembarking with a large stroller shouldn't be a problem. But... embarking will be if you are using the stroller to carry more than just baby. Everything in the baskets will have to be taken out of the stroller and run through the X-ray machine while you carry baby through the metal detector. So, if the main reason you are bringing the larger stroller rather than an umbrella stroller is to tote more stuff, it won't be worth the hassle. I'd go with an umbrella stroller and backpack instead.

Also, a lighweight umbrella stroller is much easier to use onboard ship. You may very well find yourself in the situation of having to carry baby and stroller up or down a flight of stairs. Tendering is also easier with an umbrella stroller.

Anyone traveled with a baby stroller? How easy (difficult?) is it to embark and disembark with a stroller? Not an umbrella stroller, but a deluxe one (I need all the storage underneath for baby gear and presents!)

Thank you for your help!!:)

Depends upon the itinerary. We've taken one twice (Alaska and S. Caribbean), and at most ports, it's not bad getting on and off the ship. However, there can be some pretty steep and bumpy gangways. I carried stroller + grandson up and down a couple. Around the ship, it's a piece of cake. Would recommend one that can be folded, though, for in-cabin storage -- unless you've got a suite or FV cabin.

Thank you for all the advice, minus the rude comments from jjbko, I am hoping he was being facetious. If not, watch out! I might just push you overboard with my big stroller :cool: (I think his wife might actually thank me!). The real reason I like my ultra stroller is the fact I can lay the seat back so my daughter can take a nap while the rest of us are still exploring. It flolds down perfectly and with two other people helping I don't foresee a huge problem in carrying it and the daughter. I only plan to use it onshore and not too much on the ship. Just needed to know about embarking and disembarking! If anyone has any other advice cruising with a baby, I would love to hear it. I am sure we won't have any issues (very social baby, who is well traveled and sleeps 11-12 hours a night), but I am very aware of my surroundings and will definitely leave a room if she starts fussing, unlike some others I have seen before me. No need to create waves on a cruise! :)

I only plan to use it onshore and not too much on the ship. Just needed to know about embarking and disembarking! If anyone has any other advice cruising with a baby, I would love to hear it.

Good that you'll have help. You will likely find rough/steep ramps a few times where separating the kid from the stoller will be useful.

I don't recall the baby's age, if you mentioned it, but let me warn you about this. As you'll be paying full freight for a 3rd/4th adult for your child, you deserve a bit of help from the on shore dining folks. If your baby/child is not yet eating adult food, be aware that Celebrity seems unprepared to accomodate baby food needs unless prepared well in advance by phone, and then you may not see the goods on the first night of your trip! I'd give them 30 days advance notice if you'll be needing this service.

Rather than attempting to switch to pureed adult food and all sorts of other gyrations, we asked Celebrity for a specific range of brand name baby food on our first cruise with our 10 m/o grandson. We had to make specific contact with a number we were provided to the folks in Miami who handle these things on behalf of the galley/dining staff. They acted a bit like we'd asked for the moon, but imagine trying to lug enough jars of baby food along in a suitcase for a 12 night Caribbean cruise!

When we arrived, nothing had been delivered, and we had to request that our cabin steward turn it up, and did finally receive the box in our cabin while we slept the first night. It would be best to bring along some emergency provisions to tide you over until the supply is delivered, and to present your list of requirements by FAX (with follow-up phone call) 30 or more days before your sail date.

Also, while you may have pre-requested a crib, don't be surprised if it's not in your cabin when you get there and you have to send your cabin steward chasing after one of these as well. These are your basic fold-up style square cribs with padded bottoms and net sides.

As for diapers, you're on your own, and if you can't haul enough with you due to the volume they take up in suitcases, you can usually buy them either in the ship's store (they don't gouge you too badly) or shoreside.

I have seen people with all size strollers on board. The only concern is the width. The hallways always seem to have at least one housekeeping cart on them. The stewards try to keep them as close to the wall as possible. If you have a standard stroller I think you will be fine. I did see a family with the double size monster stroller that did take the entire hall. They insisted the stewards stop what they were doing and move the housekeeping cart out of the way. Then they would cruise down the hall forcing all other passengers to get flat backed up against the wall so they could pass. I remember thinking it was people like this who give those of us who cruise with kids a bad name.

Amen, Vicki! I got nasty cuts on my heels once from someone on board a ship with one of those monster strollers....Momma wasn't watching where she was going and rammed right into me...and not even an I'm sorry - just a rude look like "what the hell were you doing there?" Took more than 2 weeks for those cuts to heal. So, no, I'm not a fan of the big monster strollers on board a ship - space is limited.

We've had our grandson on 4 cruises (his first at 8 months old) My DIL used a fold up, Graco stroller and it worked great. The crew also took such wonderful care of him. They love babies! She did bring some jar food but the pureed food suited him to a "T". He got so much attention at dinner that we took second place. When we got home he was off baby food and on to mashed "people" food which worked great for the budget. Getting or or off the ship was no problem, the crew took good care of them. True, the passageways are narrow but these stollers seem to do the trick. The crib was in their cabin and the cabin steward left him a stuffed animal as a gift on the first night. Their needs were more than met. The frig served it's purpose, was emptied and his formula was put in. They even warmed the bottles if he needed them.

He's been on 3 cruises since and has eaten with us at the second seating each time. The staff has been very accommodating. This past cruise he was finally old enough for the kids program and he didn't want to leave to do anything else. Next scheduled trip - next March on Constellation.

Don't fret, enjoy your trip and you'll handle things as they come up. Just bring plenty of diapers or, depending on your list of stops, buy them there. Price will be a little high but you have to weigh dragging them and having extra weight for flights (if you're flying). The ship's store seemed adequate for what they might need. We also had to use the hospital on one trip, Ryan got a fever. Their cabin steward took them down to the hospital, the doctor and nurse were wonderful. The price was enormous, but at least we knew he was okay. Everyone in their passageway kept asking how he was and the crew came by to check on him also because they were concerned.

All-in-all I'd say we've had good experiences on Celebrity traveling with our little one. Only hope you find the same.

Thanks - not planning on bringing the stroller to dinner. Will definitely use a high chair for that purpose! The stroller I am bringing is a single-wide, so no problems it sounds like getting down the hallway. Hope I don't offend anyone on my cruise though (Mercury - 10/8/05). We are driving up to Seattle from Portland, so I will pack an extra smaller bag with all of her essentials....that way I can bring home more goodies from our trip! Will call Celebrity though about the baby food situation. Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope this thread helps others too!

Thanks - not planning on bringing the stroller to dinner. Will definitely use a high chair for that purpose! The stroller I am bringing is a single-wide, so no problems it sounds like getting down the hallway.
You should have no problems with the single wide.

Ditto post above in that our experiences in the dining room have been great. Ethan was 10mo on his first trip, and by the time the cruise was over, he'd met the entire dining room thanks to our waiter. How Mert ever found time to do that and provide such great service I'll never understand. Good Asst waiter, I guess.

If you need bottles warmed (again, I don't recall seeing an age - hence the earlier comment about baby food), be aware that the outlets above the desks will support enough current to run one of those electric bottle warmers. We found this a real convenience. It's especially nice in that you can get one started at the crack of dawn without having to bother anybody while you're still running around in your nightgown or jockey shorts!

I always used to bring an over sized plastic cup or big gulp cup. Fill it with hot water and put the bottle in there....it will be just right in a matter of minutes. Also I highly recommend travelling with a Happy Baby Food Grinder. You can make baby food out of anything really quickly. It is lightweight and easy to wash. Have a great time.

Archived