March 21 Quantum Review

First day at sea!

My daughter and I were the only two that made it for breakfast, this didn’t surprise me, we are the two early risers. My in laws I think wanted to make it, but we were walking out when they showed up. We were seated with two other couples at an 8 person table. They brought cinnamon rolls and Danishes to the table. I got the eggs benedict and it was good.

Then it was off to ping pong for me. Now I consider myself a pretty good player. There was a tournament at 10 and I got there about 9:30 and paired up with an older gentleman as we played for fun, He was really good. About 16 people showed up for the event. I lost my first match 11 – 1! Ouch. Stayed to watch the rest and the guy I played before the tourney ended up playing his brother in the finals. The brother won. I didn’t know it was his brother until I saw him again at a Samba dance lesson.

My youngest playing.

20150323_172117_HDR.jpg

It is nice that the tables are inside in the SeaPlex. On the Freedom, they were outside and the wind made it tough to play.

The dance lesson was fun. I can’t dance, but I love to dance. Boy did I get made fun of by the cruise staff for my bad dancing, all in good fun. Even if you can’t dance, I would highly recommend going. They had several different ones throughout the cruise. It is a lot of fun to learn, or just laugh at everyone trying to learn. The cruise staff did a great job of making all their events fun. Go, join in and don’t worry about being embarrassed.

No Fred Astair

samba.jpg

Then it was on to iFly, our reservation was for 3:30. I made it for the first day, since I figured it would be too cool to be outside. I checked around lunch to see if our group had an opening for my son, and there weren’t any. We showed up around 3:00 and the 3:15 had an opening, but not our group. So I went by myself at 3:15 and my son went in my place at 3:30. There was no problem doing this switch. In my opinion, there was no problem going alone. You really don’t have a lot of together time. You watch a 5 minute video that goes over safety and hand signals. Then you get dress yourself in a suit, goggles and a helmet. They also give you ear plugs. Remember, you need to wear tennis shoes. Once you head up to the ‘tube’ and sit there and wait for your turn, the fan makes quite a bit of noise, so you really can’t hear. Each person gets 1 minute in the tube with the instructor. Once everyone in the group has gone, they turn the fan speed up and the instructor gets in alone and does some impressive flying. The whole process takes about an hour. My wife didn’t go but took videos and pictures of us all. I thought it was really fun. There is a lot of wind in your face, but it is cool to be floating there. The instructor stands in there with your and keeps you straight, and also keeps you from hitting the walls. The suits have handles on the back for him to use. The one minute goes by real fast. I will say, my shoulders hurt the next few days. Picture yourself lying on your face with your hands flat on the floor next to your head. This is the position you are in with the wind pushing your arms with your shoulders pushing back. Also, try to keep your mouth shut, my mouth was dry for the next few hours.

Not quite "The Right Stuff", but close. My two boys and my daughter, the ham like me, at the end!

IMG_1538.jpg

Arms up and just Jump right in

IMG_7091.jpg

My daughter Flying!

iflysus.jpg

Dinner was at Silk. It was good. One thing about this. We had reservations for 7:00. The mama mia show we had reservations for was originally scheduled for 9:00. Several weeks before the cruise, they moved it to 8:30. I called RC to see if I could move our dinner reservation up so they wouldn’t conflict. They didn’t have anything available and told me to check when I was on board. I did check and they were able to move our reservation to 6:30. We even showed up a little early and were seated with no problem. We made it to the show in plenty of time. The show was real good and the time flew bye. I do like ABBA and their songs, so that made it better, I’m sure.

I didn't notice this at Mama Mia, but later during the cruise. They want people with reservations in their seats 15 minutes before the show. They only let people into the venue who have reservations. They check your card or wrist band. After that they start letting people in with no reservations to fill the remaining (if there are any) seats.

IMG_6559.jpg

Next up: Day 3

Edited by malackym

• 2 weeks later...