Volos Ship Dock and Car Rental

VirtualRain

Hi, the popular private tour operator in Velos that everyone raves about here on the forums is already booked up for our June stop in Velos (he has no english speaking drivers available). So without an English speaking guide, I might as well do it myself and save some money. Hence I'm thinking of renting a car.

I'm wondering if anyone either knows exactly where the ship docks, and/or what car rental agencies are nearest the dock?

Docking is in the commercial dock - a mile to the west of the ferry terminal / town centre, where there are several rental agencies. I think you'll find they all speak English. Our ship had a free shuttle to the ferry terminal & I think most others offer a shuttle for about $5.

We rented at Sixt, (Antonopoulou 5, Volos) but there are Avis, Hertz & other agencies in the area. We pre-booked, but didn't pre-pay. Don't recall the cost, but inexpensive. Fuel was full-to-full. A very acceptable pristine modern car, no worries.

Dial Volos car rental into Google & there's a map with most agencies, I had to do that to get Sixt's address. This from my UK computer, may not work for you

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sll=39.3668745,22.9461155&sspn=0.0254809,0.0439463&q=volos+car+rental&output=classic&dg=ntvo

I'm guessing you're heading for Meteora - can't help there, we had an early sailing time which made that trip a little unsafe on timing so we mooched around the villages & hills behind Volos.

JB :)

Docking is in the commercial dock - a mile to the west of the ferry terminal / town centre, where there are several rental agencies. I think you'll find they all speak English. Our ship had a free shuttle to the ferry terminal & I think most others offer a shuttle for about $5.

We rented at Sixt, (Antonopoulou 5, Volos) but there are Avis, Hertz & other agencies in the area. We pre-booked, but didn't pre-pay. Don't recall the cost, but inexpensive. Fuel was full-to-full. A very acceptable pristine modern car, no worries.

Dial Volos car rental into Google & there's a map with most agencies, I had to do that to get Sixt's address. This from my UK computer, may not work for you

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sll=39.3668745,22.9461155&sspn=0.0254809,0.0439463&q=volos+car+rental&output=classic&dg=ntvo

I'm guessing you're heading for Meteora - can't help there, we had an early sailing time which made that trip a little unsafe on timing so we mooched around the villages & hills behind Volos.

Thanks John... so on the map below... do the ships tie up near A, B, C, D, or E?

As you can see Budget, Thrifty and Hertz are nearest the industrial area, while Sixt, Eurocar, and Avis are by the ferry terminal.

16994070301_212a6ba11e_b.jpg

Volos Port by Virtual.Rain, on Flickr

We berthed on the right-hand side of B.

Which ties in with this website

http://www.whatsinport.com/Volos.htm

Not sure whether you can walk out of the port, perhaps you have to take the shuttle, which drops at the ferry.

Hmm. Thanks, I guess not knowing whether I can walk out or not means I should just plan to take the shuttle regardless and book from one of the agencies by the ferry terminal.

BTW, which villages in the hills did you visit? I understand Mykrynitsa is nice? We might try to stop there after Meteora in the afternoon before returning the car.

Hmm. Thanks, I guess not knowing whether I can walk out or not means I should just plan to take the shuttle regardless and book from one of the agencies by the ferry terminal.

BTW, which villages in the hills did you visit? I understand Mykrynitsa is nice? We might try to stop there after Meteora in the afternoon before returning the car.

That was my thinking too.

Might mean an unnecessary shuttlebus.

Or might mean avoiding a long walk.

One village was Makrinitsa, just found it on googlemaps & confirmed on streetview - recognised the parking. Enjoyed a few beers in good company on the balcony of a bar, with elevated views over Volos.

(BTW, if you put an "s" on the end, googlemaps takes you to a suburb of Volos :confused: -I've come across that sort of problem before in Greece due to different spellings when translating from the Greek alphabet. But your Mykrynitsa is almost certainly google's Makrinitsa - and the rental agency can make sure you go where you think you're going)

A very pleasant day, but not dramatic like Meteora. If we'd had the time that's where we'd have gone, but only possible for us by ship's grossly over-priced excursion.