Is This Doable?

dotsonga

I have a question about a self guided tour on departure day. Our flight is scheduled to arrive in San Juan @ 11:43. We have priority check in for the cruise. Will we be shuttled straight onto the ship from the airport and allowed to check in? If so, will we have time to maybe grab a bite to eat and then leave and go tour the forts before we have to be on board in time for the muster drill and departure?

The Adventure of the Seas sails out from near the old airport in San Juan. It is not in Old San Juan. But you should be ok though. It is only about a 10 - 15 cab ride to old San Juan. Lots to see and do in OSJ and can walk it all, or you can hop on the free trolley and tour around all of OSJ sights.

Be mindful that you need to be on board at least 2 hours before sailing.

I don't know when your ship sails out.

:D

The Adventure of the Seas sails out from near the old airport in San Juan. It is not in Old San Juan. But you should be ok though. It is only about a 10 - 15 cab ride to old San Juan. Lots to see and do in OSJ and can walk it all, or you can hop on the free trolley and tour around all of OSJ sights.

Our departure time is 8:30, so we should OK. How much is the cab fare, or do you know if it could be found online? Thanks.

Is it possible to walk from where the ship is docked to the Forts? I've walked from the piers to the fountain in the past, so I don't think El Morro is that much farther is it? I then assume you'd need to take the trolley to El Cristobol because it looks like a hike from El Morro, but maybe too short a trip for a taxi? Does this make sense? Or am I confused from the map? :confused:

Is it possible to walk from where the ship is docked to the Forts? I've walked from the piers to the fountain in the past, so I don't think El Morro is that much farther is it? I then assume you'd need to take the trolley to El Cristobol because it looks like a hike from El Morro, but maybe too short a trip for a taxi? Does this make sense? Or am I confused from the map? :confused:

El Morro is not that far from San Cristobal if you are used to walking some. However, as stated, there is a free trolley that has stops all over Old San Juan and both of the forts. Just jump on and get off anywhere the trolley stops along the route. You would have a hard time finding a taxi to get you from one fort to the next as its not really that far, 15 min walk maybe, 20 tops if you are slow walkers.

Here is one of the Trolley Stops, they are easy to find:

ry%3D400

Edited by PortMaster

El Morro is not that far from San Cristobal if you are used to walking some. However, as stated, there is a free trolley that has stops all over Old San Juan and both of the forts. Just jump on and get off anywhere the trolley stops along the route. You would have a hard time finding a taxi to get you from one fort to the next as its not really that far, 15 min walk maybe, 20 tops if you are slow walkers.

Thanks PortMaster, it was hard to tell really how far apart they were by the map I was looking at. We can do the walk easily then. So if we start our walk to El Morro by 1:30, we should be able tour there and then head to Cristobol, tour that and be back to the ship by 6:00. Does that sound plausible? And if it doesn't take that long we can walk and see some other things? Any suggestions on other things to see? You guys have been so helpful.

Thanks PortMaster, it was hard to tell really how far apart they were by the map I was looking at. We can do the walk easily then. So if we start our walk to El Morro by 1:30, we should be able tour there and then head to Cristobol, tour that and be back to the ship by 6:00. Does that sound plausible? And if it doesn't take that long we can walk and see some other things? Any suggestions on other things to see? You guys have been so helpful.

Yes, it does, but all dependent on how long you spend at the first fort you visit.

http://www.touroldsanjuan.com/trolley-map/

That is the map of all the stops. I do not personally know where your ship docks, i'm assuming the pan american pier without researching it....if so, give yourself a little time to get to there as its not as close as the main OSJ piers and not along the trolley route. Just get to the general OSJ pier area or the bus depot and you will find a taxi easily to take you to your pier if it is the Pan American pier..

As for where else to go...keep asking me questions like that and I will keep you busy reading and looking at pictures for hours. My wife and I LOVE Old San Juan and Puerto Rico in general. You wont have much time to get out and see outside of Old San Juan, so I suggest just walking through as much of the city as you have time to do. Sample some local food, see some of the vendors, both for food and souvenirs. Have a Cafe con Leche in Plaza de Armas!!

Plaza de Armas:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by PortMaster

That is the map of all the stops. I do not personally know where your ship docks, i'm assuming the pan american pier without researching it....if so, give yourself a little time to get to there as its not as close as the main OSJ piers and not along the trolley route. Just get to the general OSJ pier area or the bus depot and you will find a taxi easily to take you to your pier if it is the Pan American pier.. I am assuming that we will be docked at the Pan Am pier because someone else said we could take a taxi to OSJ. Where is this port on a map because I only see the piers at OSJ. This is what I have been looking for.

As for where else to go...keep asking me questions like that and I will keep you busy reading and looking at pictures for hours. You shouldn't have said that because you might get tired of me...LOL I like to have a plan in place but have no problem deviating from that plan is necessary so I like to have Plan A, B, C, D....you get the picture, and if I have more questions I'll PM you so that I don't bore everyone on here with my questions. Thanks again.

[/color]

Any question you may have, others may have too...so I do not mind answering them for all to see!

Thank you...so where is the Pan Am pier located? I want to try to find it on the map. Someone said it was near the old airport but I don't know where that is. What is the name of the old airport?

[/color]

Thank you...so where is the Pan Am pier located? I want to try to find it on the map. Someone said it was near the old airport but I don't know where that is. What is the name of the old airport?

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/old-san-juan-puerto-rico/map

If you zoom out some, In the bottom right corner, you will see the Isla Grande Airport and the Pan American Pier

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/old-san-juan-puerto-rico/map

If you zoom out some, In the bottom right corner, you will see the Isla Grande Airport and the Pan American Pier

Thanks again PortMaster. I found this map too right before you responded and I like it really well too, maybe it will help others too.

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp