A few questions from a first time Carnival crusier!

Hi we have been on DCL in the past, but due to the prices for next summer in the Med we are thinking of giving Carnival vista a try!

But, I am a little concerned about a couple of things:

Evening entertainment. We have a DD who will be 7 when we travel, and I'm not sure that she will want to go to the kids clubs. How is the evening entertainment on carnival? Is it family friendly? Is there a good variety?

A kids pool? Forgive me, but I can't see on the deck plans if there is a kids pool, apart from the waterworks area.

When would I be able to see what shore excursions will be available, and the price? We are planning on the August 26th sailing from Barcelona.

Thanks for any help :)

Edited by disneymadhouse

Most of the playlist productions (main room shows) are family friendly and do not last too long so they would be ok. There is also the family friendly comedy that happens nightly. I would say theres an ok variety for adults but not so much for children as it does seem most kids go to Camp Carnival (Which most kids seem to love on board). I think since Disney is really geared to children you were probably spoilt there for evening kids activities.

There is no designated kids pool on ships but it is often the middle pool of Carnival ships where families gather.

I usually book late but people tell me excursions appear a year out or so sometimes so I would start looking this August....check out faster to the fun as well.

Edited by Velvetwater

Family friendly is up to interpretation, of course. I would not take my kids to the playlist shows that are rated PG-13 in the Fun Times. But that's a decision you can make. Disney wasn't my favorite cruise, but their shows are top notch. It won't be anywhere on a Disney caliber show.

My three kids love the kids clubs, though. They beg me every night if they can go and stay late. Not sure which cruise you're looking at, but I would imagine with such a port-intensive Med cruise, that you guys won't be staying up late much anyway. :)

My kids absolutely loved the kids clubs. Lots of age appropriate activities that they really enjoyed (scavenger hunts, pajama parties, movies, dances).

It looks like there will be a lot of choices on the Vista with the Imax theater and the movies under the stars as well as the usual shows. And remember that the Med cruises are very port intensive and the port times are pretty long on these itineraries so there will be little time in the evenings to need entertaining.

Barcelona is a fabulous city for kids and adults. You will LOVE it!

We've done both DCL and CCL cruises, although we don't have kids. There is a variety of entertainment for kids (like stated above) including the evening movies under the stars, family comedies, etc. You can even do the mini-golf at night I believe. There is no way a kid is going to be bored on a Carnival ship.

What I really think is a PLUS on the Carnival ships is the dining room for kids. The waiters are so much more entertaining and interested in keeping the kids entertained than on Disney which, although is geared toward kids, the staff seems to be so used to a lot of kids that they just don't put any effort into entertaining them at meals, like they do on Carnival. My nephew cried on the last night of our cruise because he didn't want to leave the waitstaff in the dining room.

While there is no "kids" pool on Carnival, the waterworks area, the pool slides, the ropes course, the sky-cycle on Carnival Vista looks waaaaayyyy better than the kiddie pools on DCL (which in my opinion are entirely too small for the amount of kids in them).

I also think Carnival has much better food variety. I realize DCL is built for kids, but their menus reflect that as well. Much better variety, especially in the buffets, with Carnival.

mrsfuzzmo thanks for your thoughts. :)

I guess I know what I am getting with DCL whereas I have no experience of Carnival at all. And I don't want to be on the carnival ship moored up next to Disney Magic in Naples, Livornio or Rome ( where they would be at the same time) and thinking I wish I were on the Magic!!

I am still so undecided! Unfortunately we don't have an endless supply of money, so deciding what to do for our holiday is a big decision!

Your Disney cruise will bet two to three times the cost, there's nothing cheap about them. I would much rather do other things with that money, especially if traveling to Europe. I've been sailing Carnival now for three years, 1 to 2 cruises a year and just booked a Europe cruise on the Vista. I have no complaints, service has been great and I've always had a good time. Best part of it is, I still have money in the bank after booking a cruise.

I've heard nothing but good things about Disney, however, everyone always complain that cruising with them is not cheap. My last cruise was on the Breeze, similar to Vista, and you couldn't get the kids out of the water park or obstacle course area.

Yes, you are correct about the cost!! Like for like stateroom, ( and near enough the same itinerary) DCL is around £1000 more than the Carnival vista. I guess we are lucky that our airfare won't be as huge as we are in the UK, so we can fly to Barcelona for around £400 for the three of us rtn. :)

And again, yes you are correct, the money is better in my bank than someone else's! :)

I do really appreciate everyone's thoughts :D

By the way, I would focus on cruises in late June and beyond, give the new crew time to adjust to the ship. You always see posts on here about the first cruise having so many problems, what else would you expect. On a final note, with that money you are saving, visit one the cities the ship departs from. That's money better spent than cruising with Disney. At the end of the day, it's how you set your expectations and how you adjust to changes that makes or breaks a cruise.

Just because you are paying more doesn't guarantee everything will be perfect. Enjoy your cruise.

We have sailed both Disney Cruise Line and Carnival with my daughter. We are Disney people, we love going the Walt Disney World and we go almost every year. The shows in DCL are the best I have ever seen. They are just amazing!

We love DCL so much but the prices kept us from taking that second cruise with them.

Unfortunately, DCL prices are more than double for similar itineraries! For Europe their prices are just crazy expensive!

For a Med cruise, I think we won't be concerned too much about the shows since we'll be in a port almost everyday. We'll probably pass out after dessert! :D

And Vista is a brand new ship! I don't think Disney Magic can compare to all the bells and whistles the Vista has.

Edited by aquarianne11

Thanks once again for the replies folks! :)

We are planning on sailing 26th August, so hopefully any initial problems will have been ironed out.

I think a lot of people are shocked at DCL prices for next summer!

I'm thinking we will give the Vista a try. The savings are too good to pass up.

Another question if I may:

I understand that you can book and if the price goes down, then Carnival ( US, not UK) will honour the new price? Please can anyone confirm, or put me straight?

Many thanks :)

I check my prices several times a week and if there are any drops, submit a request to Carnival for adjustments. I believe if you book Early Saver, you can do this up to two days before you sail. Not sure how this will work in the UK but I don't see why the company wouldn't honor a price drop. I've seen the price drop twice in a day, rare but it has happened in the past. After final payment, you'll get on board credit. This is all based on the same category cabin being available.

Thanks for the info!

We will be travelling in the UK and Spanish school summer holidays, so the ship may well be fairly full, so do you think its likely that there would be price drops?

Also, so you get the OBC offer if booking early saver, or is it one or the other?

Price drops happen can happen at any time, that's why it is good to check often. If you monitor Carnival's website, you'll notice promotions going on all the time. You'll get OBC if you've paid in full, if the adjustment is prior to paid in full, Carnival will deduct the remaining balance. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, all depends if the cruise is selling well and/or if discounts are needed to get bookings up. Granted, peak season cruises usually sell out quicker and the discounts if any might be less and/or further apart. Just to give you an idea, on my Breeze cruise, my initial booking was almost $3600 USD. By the time I paid off the cruise, it was down to around $2700 USD. By the time I sailed, I got another $300+ in OBC. I'm hoping this will be the story with my Vista cruise but given it's a new ship, I might be proven wrong.

Hello, we've never cruised before so can't offer any advice. BUT we're booked on the 26th August Vista cruise. Our eldest DS will 6 when we go so I think in the same club. There's already a roll call for our cruise too.

I'm very very excited!

Price drops happen can happen at any time, that's why it is good to check often. If you monitor Carnival's website, you'll notice promotions going on all the time. You'll get OBC if you've paid in full, if the adjustment is prior to paid in full, Carnival will deduct the remaining balance. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, all depends if the cruise is selling well and/or if discounts are needed to get bookings up. Granted, peak season cruises usually sell out quicker and the discounts if any might be less and/or further apart. Just to give you an idea, on my Breeze cruise, my initial booking was almost $3600 USD. By the time I paid off the cruise, it was down to around $2700 USD. By the time I sailed, I got another $300+ in OBC. I'm hoping this will be the story with my Vista cruise but given it's a new ship, I might be proven wrong.

Thanks for the info! Definitely something to think about! :)

Hello, we've never cruised before so can't offer any advice. BUT we're booked on the 26th August Vista cruise. Our eldest DS will 6 when we go so I think in the same club. There's already a roll call for our cruise too.

I'm very very excited!

Ooo, lovely!! Cruising is very addictive!

As I said, I don't know if my DD will want to use the kids clubs which is why I was concerned about there is to do for us as a family in the evening. She will be nearly 8 by then though, so who knows she may have decided we are just too boring to hang around with lol!

If we do book then I will definitely check out the roll call :)

DS will be on his way to 7 by then so maybe if we introduce them, she might be happy to go in with a friend! He's always happy to go into anything that means he gets to play rather than hang out and do boring stuff with us. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!

We will be travelling in the UK and Spanish school summer holidays, so the ship may well be fairly full, so do you think its likely that there would be price drops?

The 26th August cruise may just run into the start of the UK school year (dates havent been published yet but its possible) so you might find it less full (at least with families) as you think.

Schools are fining parents for even 1 day thats unauthorised absence so theres less holidaying into the term.

The 26th August cruise may just run into the start of the UK school year (dates havent been published yet but its possible) so you might find it less full (at least with families) as you think.

Schools are fining parents for even 1 day thats unauthorised absence so theres less holidaying into the term.

Our schools here in Northampton don't go back until Monday 5th Sept so that's how we can sneak the holiday in the last week!! Also because its only a couple of hours flight from BCN and an hours drive from the airport and no jetlag its ideal! :)

I haven't heard of any local school fining parents (yet!) and I think usually they only fine for absence over 10 days. We are taking DD out of school at the end of term just before they break up for Christmas to go to WDW. I don't expect a fine, but if I do get one then I will still be quids in on what the flight would have cost to go when the schools break up! :)

Edited by disneymadhouse

DS will be on his way to 7 by then so maybe if we introduce them, she might be happy to go in with a friend! He's always happy to go into anything that means he gets to play rather than hang out and do boring stuff with us. :rolleyes:

That sound great, thanks!

Where is the roll call please, I had a look but couldn't find it :)

Our schools here in Northampton don't go back until Monday 5th Sept so that's how we can sneak the holiday in the last week!! Also because its only a couple of hours flight from BCN and an hours drive from the airport and no jetlag its ideal! :)

I haven't heard of any local school fining parents (yet!) and I think usually they only fine for absence over 10 days. We are taking DD out of school at the end of term just before they break up for Christmas to go to WDW. I don't expect a fine, but if I do get one then I will still be quids in on what the flight would have cost to go when the schools break up! :)

Maybe its different for each LA? When I used to work in Leicester we all went back early and I think they start back late August this year.

Some of our parents at my school have had fines for short absences (not the schools instruction but our LA). There have been one or two families that have taken their children out for 4 weeks (seeing family in Pakistan) who have had a monstrous fee upon return.

Edited by Velvetwater

Maybe its different for each LA? When I used to work in Leicester we all went back early and I think they start back late August this year.

Some of our parents at my school have had fines for short absences (not the schools instruction but our LA). There have been one or two families that have taken their children out for 4 weeks (seeing family in Pakistan) who have had a monstrous fee upon return.

Yes, I think it is different for each LEA. Golly 4 weeks, 2 parents for multiple children that would be a big fine! Its such a shame that the rules were changed. Not going to say any more than that as I don't know if these type of discussions are allowed on this forum ;) I know they aren't on some others ;)