Explorer in Alaska & Coastal - confused

When initially announced, I didn't get this move by Royal, still don't:

• Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go on board during driving rain and 40 degree weather? Definitely not to the huge pool deck, open Solarium, open Sports Court or Florider?
  • Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go to see the views of the Glaciers & inside passage scenery during this weather? Promenade? Schooner Bar? Lounges? I don't think the Viking Crown can handle 3100+ people. Balcony cabins should sell out super quick, interiors and OV could be sold a massive discounts imho... and I wouldn't even look at them unless I book 2-3 days out and see the long range 10-day forecast as favorable.
  • Regarding the 7-day coastal round-trip itineraries out of Seattle, this is a really awesome attempt by Royal to give West Coasters a shot for a few weeks... but Astoria?? One of the worst ports available in the entire list of Royals ports of call. Being a Vancouver area resident, this itinerary is horrible and an utter waste of money, I will still fly south. The Jewel's current coastal itineraries are oh so much better by a million miles... If they wanted this Seattle idea to fly, I feel they should done a 7 day one-way down to LA, then another 7 day back to Seattle with a couple of different ports on both legs thus attracting many b2b passengers. These coastals are extremely weak, equivalently weak to to the Anthem itineraries to PC/Nassau/Cococay.

Overall disappointed with this re-deployment. Thoughts anyone?

• 1 month later...

We booked the coastal cruise a few days ago and are actually pretty excited about it! It will be our first cruise with RCI. We are within driving distance of Seattle. No airfare involved, so it's a pretty inexpensive way for us to try RCI. We are taking this cruise as much for the ship as for the itinerary.

Astoria, while not the most exciting port out there, is a cute town. We look forward to spending 2 days in San Francisco without having to fly there and spend $300+ a night on lodging. We also look forward to a full day in Victoria, during the day, rather than the usual 4 hour late evening stop.

The price seemed very reasonable to me for a 7 night cruise, so we will give it a go!

Edited by Cruisin' Along

We were on the Mariner when it was doing Mexico cruises a few years ago. At sea you could not be outside. It was too cold and windy. Total waste of a balcony :mad: During a sea day my sister-in-law sat on chairs on the promenade (while the hubbies worked out). We were amazed at how it wasn't really crowded. We couldn't figure out where everyone was.

When initially announced, I didn't get this move by Royal, still don't:

• Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go on board during driving rain and 40 degree weather? Definitely not to the huge pool deck, open Solarium, open Sports Court or Florider?
  • Where are 3100+ cruisers going to go to see the views of the Glaciers & inside passage scenery during this weather? Promenade? Schooner Bar? Lounges? I don't think the Viking Crown can handle 3100+ people. Balcony cabins should sell out super quick, interiors and OV could be sold a massive discounts imho... and I wouldn't even look at them unless I book 2-3 days out and see the long range 10-day forecast as favorable.
  • Regarding the 7-day coastal round-trip itineraries out of Seattle, this is a really awesome attempt by Royal to give West Coasters a shot for a few weeks... but Astoria?? One of the worst ports available in the entire list of Royals ports of call. Being a Vancouver area resident, this itinerary is horrible and an utter waste of money, I will still fly south. The Jewel's current coastal itineraries are oh so much better by a million miles... If they wanted this Seattle idea to fly, I feel they should done a 7 day one-way down to LA, then another 7 day back to Seattle with a couple of different ports on both legs thus attracting many b2b passengers. These coastals are extremely weak, equivalently weak to to the Anthem itineraries to PC/Nassau/Cococay.

Overall disappointed with this re-deployment. Thoughts anyone?

Booked on the Jewel this year and would probably do the cruise again . The idea of down to LA and back would really appeal.

We booked the coastal cruise a few days ago and are actually pretty excited about it! It will be our first cruise with RCI. We are within driving distance of Seattle. No airfare involved' date=' so it's a pretty inexpensive way for us to try RCI. We are taking this cruise as much for the ship as for the itinerary.

Astoria, while not the most exciting port out there, is a cute town. We look forward to spending 2 days in San Francisco without having to fly there and spend $300+ a night on lodging. We also look forward to a full day in Victoria, during the day, rather than the usual 4 hour late evening stop.

The price seemed very reasonable to me for a 7 night cruise, so we will give it a go![/quote']

We are booked on EOS B2B in the Fall.:)

Great ship, been on her before for B3B on Canada NE/Bermuda.

It isn't always raining and horrible on the Alaska Cruise. We have done it twice. Had bad weather and good weather. There is a huge promenade, ice skating rink and more attractions and space than Radiance Class.

We have done Alaska two times... would do it again. Both times had fantastic weather. Both times we went it was the end of Aug beginning of September. We are booked on the coastal cruise on the Jewel in September and really looking forward to it and its ports of call. As long as i am on a cruise ship i am happy. I much prefer the smaller ships for any cruise but if the price and timing was right i would go on any Royal ship.