First timer at going solo

Cruiselover227

Good luck with the cheap rates.:D Sometimes you will find special deals with a lower (less than 160-200% which is the most common) single supplement but they are not very prevalent. You might be interested in some of the ships that have single cabins but be sure to check the prices between a single cabin and a regular one with a single supplement (single cabin is not always cheaper).

Just enjoy yourself, you will have a great time. Solo traveling can be very liberating; just be confident and never think that others are feeling sorry for you; they're most likely jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd suggest looking at "What ships do I want to travel on as a solo?" first. Even with 10 cruises experience, it might be a bit different as a solo.

Sometimes a good TA knows of group space that's a bit cheaper (there are also, unfortunately, a lot of bad TA's out there).

I usually travel low season and book Inside Guarantee, but be aware you won't be getting a premium cabin at the cheapest rate.

Just enjoy yourself, you will have a great time. Solo traveling can be very liberating; just be confident and never think that others are feeling sorry for you; they're most likely jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, confident is a must!!

I'm thinking I've doing a solo cruise, I have already been on 10 cruise with my ex husband and family. But I really would like to travel on my own.

Any good tips or suggests would be great.

How do I get cheap rates?

If you want the cheapest rate possible, last minute cruises are the best, price wise. However I know not everyone can do last minute cruising. Carnival and NCL usually can go for 350-450(plus tax and fees) 7 day cruise, but you only pay 100% not 150% or 200%.

I have done a few last minute on Carnival last year, and never paid more then 500 bucks(7 day cruise) which included tax and fees.

This year I want to do NCL, didn't have very good experience with my last Carnival cruise, so I want to try NCL Breakaway, Epic or Gateaway. I heard they are great for singles/solo cruisers.

Hey!

I have booked my first solo cruise for July & can't wait! I think if you are tempted you just have to go for it. From what I have read on here once you have done it once there is no going back! :)

NCL seem to do the best prices for solo cabins & they have the studio lounge which is just for solo's so you get to meet lots of others hopefully! I am booked on the epic :) good luck whatever you decide :)

If you want the cheapest rate possible, last minute cruises are the best, price wise. However I know not everyone can do last minute cruising. Carnival and NCL usually can go for 350-450(plus tax and fees) 7 day cruise, but you only pay 100% not 150% or 200%.

I have done a few last minute on Carnival last year, and never paid more then 500 bucks(7 day cruise) which included tax and fees.

This year I want to do NCL, didn't have very good experience with my last Carnival cruise, so I want to try NCL Breakaway, Epic or Gateaway. I heard they are great for singles/solo cruisers.

I did the Breakaway and Splendor last year - I too had a bad experience on Carnival (the company is good, their passengers on the other hand...Same problem with walmart and their customers). Breakaway is great especially for dinner time where you can hook up with other soloers at the studio lounge during the solo meet (its listed in the dailies what time it is) and go together to eat, if you want. There's plenty of different free options to dine out for breakfast / lunch / dinner if you don't want to pay extra at the specialty restaurants. Lots of different activities that are free or pay extra that are fun.

Unfortunately, I can't do too last-minutes (booked and going in the same week); so I try and booked it at least 9 months -1 year out since it mostly for special occasion:D. Then I check the prices through out the year in case of massive price for freebies for my reservation like OBC or room upgrade - the worst NCL can say to me is 'No'.:o

Edited by maywell

I did the Breakaway and Splendor last year - I too had a bad experience on Carnival (the company is good, their passengers on the other hand...Same problem with walmart and their customers). Breakaway is great especially for dinner time where you can hook up with other soloers at the studio lounge during the solo meet (its listed in the dailies what time it is) and go together to eat, if you want. There's plenty of different free options to dine out for breakfast / lunch / dinner if you don't want to pay extra at the specialty restaurants. Lots of different activities that are free or pay extra that are fun.

Unfortunately, I can't do too last-minutes (booked and going in the same week); so I try and booked it at least 9 months -1 year out since it mostly for special occasion:D. Then I check the prices through out the year in case of massive price for freebies for my reservation like OBC or room upgrade - the worst NCL can say to me is 'No'.:o

I actually went on Splendor last year as well. Mostly had a good time, but had a problem with very loud neighbors at night. The same things happened on Glory, again very loud neighbors, and security didn't do much about it. Plus I had an enormous amount of other problems on Glory. To tell you the truth I had such a terrible experience on Glory that I decided to take a break from cruising. I never experienced anything like that and I have 19 cruises under my belt.

I will be going on a land vacation in May, but I am starting to miss cruising. So in the fall I am thinking of doing NCL, but only on the ships that have studio lounge.

Edited by cruiseelady

I have done many solo cruise's and absolutely love them. I have done Alaska solo once and twice with my daughter. My favorite was a 10 day out of San Francisco, extremely relaxing and low key. I do anytime dining so I can eat whenever I want, never have had to wait more then ten minutes. I am actually looking at Alaska for a solo cruise in September on Princess. Have a great time whatever you decide. :)

I did Boston/Quebec/Boston (booked as a 14 day though they also sold it as two seven days). Really enjoyed it. Was not solo on that trip, but might as well have been as my traveling companion and I had very different entertainment preferences, so we went our separate ways most evenings after dinner. They are very port intensive. Of course you're free to do as little as you want.

A cool weather itinerary might be more difficult solo during the days, because you lose a lot of being outside time. It was perfectly comfortable to be outside most days, but not "I want to lie down on this lounger and doze" weather. And they didn't have outside music except on the very warmest days. People were out -- they were just in sweatshirts, sitting at tables, playing cards! And some in the hot tubs.

On a warmer weather cruise you can be outside with people (while interacting with them, or not) and away from your room more. Depending, of course, if you even want to be out of your room much! I enjoy a nice long afternoon nap on vacation, frankly!

I have been on 10 cruises, and 4 of them have been solo.

I must admit, because I tend to keep to myself, the first solo was a bit awkward. However I am glad that I tried another one. And the 3rd was prob the best cruise I have ever had.

I have never been on an Alaska or New England cruise, but I would be hesitant about going solo because I have heard the crowd is older and I might be bored.

I would suggest a lively Caribbean cruise for your first solo.