Celebrity Constellation - Photo Review - March 26, 2015

WinksCruises

I have two questions……..are crown and anchor perks transferable to Celebrity? and if I book a future cruise while onboard, what perks/discounts are common?

Royal Crown & Anchor perks per se don't follow you over.... what comes with you is your status level. We're Diamond on Royal... so we received the privileges of Celebrity's Elite level. I assume Pinnacles on Royal receive Elite Plus privileges etc. But this Celebrity cruise did not count towards our cruise point accumulation on Royal. We get no credit on Royal for having sailed this Celebrity cruise. Poke around on the boards and the Celebrity site, and you'll learn more details, but don't assume everything you get on Royal you'll get on Celebrity. They are different beasts!

When we were on board, they were still offering 1-2-3-Go! if we booked another cruise. But I can't guarantee that offer is still in place. It's always changing. But generally, there is some incentitve, usually a reduced deposit and on board credit, for booking while at sea. You basically have to wait 'til you're on board to see.

07_01_JetsGroup.jpg

The NY Jets Cruise Charter takes a Group Photo as we Depart Key West

After a sun-soaked Key West port day, the Constellation’s happy contingent of Day-4 cruise passengers piled back on board to prepare for the final 12-hours of cruising indulgence. By this point, Mrs. Winks and I had firmly planted our posteriors in the comfort of the Captain’s Club cushy chairs, having decided earlier that taking-in our last sail away from the beautiful Reflection Lounge would be a splendid way to cap off the voyage.

Below us on the heliport, the (first ever) NY Jets Cruise members gathered for a farewell group photo as Connie pulled away from the dock. New Yorkers and Jets fans ourselves, we watched in subdued envy. It looked like they had a great time… So maybe next year.

With even less sea to cross in order to reach Fort Lauderdale, high up in the Reflection Lounge it looked as though the ship had actually stopped. We appeared to be making no forward progress at all as even a heavy cargo ship had passed us. I naively asked one of the Reflection wait staff if we had stopped for some reason and he explained that the ship didn’t really need go very fast at this point…. But yes, we were in fact moving. Darn! For once in my life I was actually hoping for a complete engine failure.

07_02_Sunset.jpg

Last Sunset from our Balcony

After a couple of cocktails, we headed back to the cabin to catch our last sunset… and to place our luggage out into the corridor for collection. We went through the ritual double checks and did you keep outs that an OCD sufferer like me goes through as part of disembarkation preparation. We changed into travel clothes and said goodbye to our cabin steward, Carolina.

We had our final night’s dinner in the main dining room. We scored a table at the railing overlooking the lower dining room, from where we noticed a peculiar set up…. They actually had table for twos placed at the base of the grand stairwells between dining rooms... essentially blocking half the access. Wow. Anything for a buck RCI! Granted, these stairwells are obsolete now, given today’s dining trends and cessation of the singing chef brigade. But really? This just looks so awkward. Suddenly, there’s a worse seat than next to the kitchen or server’s island.

07_03_Wait.jpg

Fort Lauderdale Disembarkation Fail

Forgoing the theater’s farewell show and assorted other half-hearted attempts by the cruise director’s staff to convince us the party wasn’t over, Mrs. Winks and I called it an early night with the intent of getting a good night’s sleep before our unwelcome travel day and return to reality. We bought a few cruise pictures, grabbed some post-dessert cookies and took a final stroll on the top deck.

The next morning, we found ourselves docked at Port Everglades at 7 am. We begrudgingly got out of bed and gathered together our travel bags. After yet another room check for forgotten left-behinds, we made our way up to the Ocean Café for coffee and a last breakfast. Once there, we heard the announcements over the ship’s loudspeaker system…. It was past 7:30 am, and Connie still hadn’t been cleared for the early morning walk-offs!

“Slight delays” were what we heard. Due to a shortage of Customs agents. Sure! Because they’re all still down in Key West performing redundant inspections!

Looking over the side of the ship, we saw the very slow trickle of passengers being let off… and backing up on the gangway. We were all told to sit pretty and wait. Thank you for your patience.

07_04_%20Disemarkation.jpg

Everybody in the Pool!

So here’s a picture of how we spent our morning waiting to get off Constellation in Port Everglades!

Well, not really. But it nearly got this crowded on the top deck as people waited for the number to be called.

By 8:30 am, they were releasing the folks bearing luggage tags 1-4. By 9:30 am, tags #1-18 were in play. Our number, group 20, was called shortly thereafter.

07_05_930.jpg

The Monday Morning Gangway Woes

I really feel sorry for people who had to make early flights. We were lucky because we had a 1 pm flight. Above is a picture of us, still on Connie, facing a line that trailed all the way down the gangway and through a long hall to the escalator where terminal agents were holding people up until the previous group of passengers was cleared from the luggage/customs floor below. In the end, we found there were only 3 customs agents assigned to cover the entire ship. Lines were long and not moving very quickly.

We finally got through the endless winding cue of fellow passengers and caught a taxi outside the terminal at about 10:30 am. We were checked into our flight at FLL by 11 am, with plenty of time to spare, but I wonder how folks who expected to walk off at 7:30 did with their arrangements.

07_06_Goodbye.jpg

Final Thoughts & See You Soons

All in all, it was a great cruise. I think we both walked away agreeing we prefer the 7-day or longer voyages. The 4-day sailings are just too short, considering how far we have to travel to enjoy one.

Service was great. Food adequate. Though we’re definitely feeling the hurt from the reduced services and constant up sells. The 1-2-3 Go! Promotion was what made this trip worthwhile. Free Tips, Free Classic Beverage Package and a generous On Board Credit made this cruise a genuine deal. In fact the last night, we had to buy a couple of ship photos because we still had an on board credit to burn!

Thanks for hanging in there and reading through this long trip report. Hope it was helpful. Mrs. Winks and I will be back in early May with a report from our upcoming cruise of Royal’s Liberty of Seas. (Don’t even ask!)

Hi Tyler!

Got to let you know, we're on Liberty of the Seas in a few weeks. We're travelling with family members and have plans to do the Cozumel bar hop again. (Thanks for clueing us in on this great excursion!) Should be fun!

Hope all is well with you and that you and Not_Anna are cruising soon!

That's great, glad to hear you enjoyed the bar hop to do it again!

If you have a chance could you email us your bar hop pictures of us and the group? Would really appreciate it. Canadiantyler@hotmail.ca Your pictures are much better than ours!

Have a great cruise on Liberty and look forward to the review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today_05_0001.jpg

Today_05_0002.jpg

08_03_Fitness.jpg

Fitness: Classes, like Zumba, that used to be free and held out at the pool, are now held in the fitness center for a fee. Meanwhile, out at the pool, they did do a free Latin Dance class.

08_04_Bar_Service.jpg

Some people here on Cruise Critic report seeing a decrease in bar service, especially around the pool, now that the beverage packages have become popular. But we did not find that to be the case...

08_05%20Deck%20at%20Night.jpg

Ship was in good, clean condition. Saw crews maintaining and disinfecting parts of the ship at all hours of the day.

Goodbye Connie...

08_06_Connie.jpg

Great review, love this itinerary, especially after a 14 day cruise on the Eclipse

We did it last year, in Key West we hired an electric Buggy, it was great

We could go wherever we wanted crisps cross all over,

Cost $89

Some amazing photography. Loved the picture of the beer can with the ships in the background in Nassau. And, many others. Having been on the three other M-class ships, I can see that the Connie has a slightly brighter decor than the other ships. We are sailing on the Connie in June 2016 and your review is getting me very excited, even 14 months out.

Thank you for the considerable effort you have put into this review. Happy cruising to you and your wife.

Really enjoyed your report. Have been considering Celebrity and wondered what the ships were like....loved your report and observations.

Look forward to your report on the Liberty as we are also sailing on her this summer!

• 2 weeks later...

Always great reviews! Happy to see the Connie showcased on one of your adventures on the sea. We did same itinerary last year and just loved the ship. We did Reflection this past Nov and decided we love the size and intimacy of the Constellation. Food was so much better in the speciality restaurants. Interiors were beautiful.

My only issue with this itinerary is that you have to clear immigration in Key West, the day before you get back to FT Laud. Yours might have been the reverse port stop. But on a 4 night cruise it was just extra busywork I didn't need. My yoga instructor was literally pulled out of our class to clear immigration.

Looking forward to your next installment.

Don't know how I missed the following pages, but i did. You Nailed the rest of review. Living in FL we have watched Key West turn in to a horrible circus, unfortunately. We did get off, only because I needed to get gift for my dog sitter. Places we used to enjoy were just horribly dirty along with the streets. Back on board within hour.

Agree on the short cruises. The last day moodiness comes to quick. Just did a 4 day on Regal Princess (found your reviews from that search). They are good for quick try of a new brand. Sea Ya!

Such a great review, thank you! And thanks again for the accessible room photos. :) We have an accessible balcony cabin on deck 6 so I know it won't have such a big balcony etc. but it's great to see roughly what it'll look like. :)

• 1 year later...
Thanks, my love, for sharing our adventure with the CC world. I am looking forward to sailing the beautiful Liberty of the Seas very soon and your subsequent review. You are quite the story teller!!:):):)

Hi Mrs Winks,

I found this link while looking for more info on FV and Aft cabins.

Next year, we are doing a B2B2B on Constellation beginning in Singapore, eventually to Rome.

On the 1st of 3 cruises, we have a Family Veranda, # 9156, on 3rd #7212.

Enjoyed your GREAT review.

Take it easy,

Bobby:)