Carnival a disappointment ( 3-29 on the Magic )

Im kind of agreeing with getupgo. We are taking our kids on their first cruise in a couple weeks. Last year was OUR first cruise ever. They chose this cruise as they wanted to do the stingrays in Grand Cayman. We arent that cruise experienced and loved it last year and will this year as well, but if for some reason we werent able to make that stop in GC, it would be a huge disappointment for my kids and us as that is the main thing they are looking forward to.

Im sure none of you have ever had anything not go your way on all of your cruises? Maybe you didnt post about it and probably it didnt bother you all that much. Some people sail for the ships some people sail for the different ports. This port may have been important for the OP.

I realize that weather and conditions are no fault of the ship or crew but its still a disappointment when you cant stop somewhere you've been looking forward to for a year or more.

You better prepare yourself and kids for disappointment. GC is missed due to winds and sea conditions because they can't tender guest ashore safely. Also if you do get to shore, stingray city could be cancelled due to wind and sea condition. I'm about 50% on my cruises for making into GC.

Edited by vettecruiser1

My so called "demands" which are actually reasonable expectations have easily been met by other cruise lines. None of our cruises have been perfect, and I suspect that none will be. I'm simply posting that Carnival did not meet my expectations. Yes, I did see signs of being disappointed the very first day but decided to 'roll with it' and am continuing to do so. But, I can be vocal about it and let others know about my experience so they can make decisions about which cruise lines to vacation with!

Edited by lasvegastraveler

First of all, things happen that are out of their control. You are on vacation, why don't you go try to make the best of it? I would gladly trade places with you, I am staring at offices right now. I was just on the Magic 3/9 and it was awesome. Sorry you aren't having a good time. I have been on Royal and missed Key West....this stuff happens on any line.

We are currently on board the Carnival Magic and it's 8:10 am. We've been sitting just off the port at Roatan where we were SUPPOSED to dock at 8. All 3000+ passengers are walking around wondering whats going on and flooding customer service asking for an update. Customer service says, 'Yes we are docking but we don't know when. We will make a general announcement'. It would be SO SIMPLE, for an announcement to be made stating we are waiting for this or that to happen and then we will dock. Instead, Carnival is letting all of us just wonder, we can't plan our day, we don't know what to expect or when to expect it. It's just irresponsible, inconsiderate and bad service to leave us all in the dark when a simple update announcement would alleviate the issue. Update, we just heard we are not going ashore due to weather. Which is VERY odd because the weather is fine. Honestly, Carnival has been a disappointment around every corner. Line after line to do anything and everything. Calls to Guest Services or House Keeping go unanswered. Food in the Lido Marketplace Buffet is marginal at best. Tendering in Belize was disaster with lines several hundred people long. Misleading shore excursions with excursion operators who are unprepared and deliver a poor experience. The list goes on. If you've cruised Royal or Celebrity, then Carnival will be a disappointment for you.

I can't believe y'all are being so unsympathetic. I cruise twice a year and one of those cruises is Carnival and none of the things happening to OP ever happened to me. Other than not being able to dock, the ither complaints reek of poor management and I think it should be pointed out and future guests warned. Thank you.

Warned that HIS expectations are high and have not been met. Considering the size of the ship, lines are to be expected. Food is always going to hit or miss, depending on the cruiser. It is reasonable to expect that the guest services area will become busy. There has always been a difference of opinion as to whether it is better to ignore the guest in front of the you or the one on the phone. Saying something to the cabin attendant goes a long way to getting something refilled. Of course ice cream machines NEVER break down.

I used to frown when people referred to Carnival as the "Walmart of the Seas" however, since I get the quality I expect when I shop at Walmart as well as when I sail on Carnival, I am good with it. If I was looking for higher end quality and experience, I would book with another line.

Always surprises me that someone that has never posted before on CC suddenly posts negative comments about Carnival. Some how they managed to find CC while on board but not before.

I understand and accept that "One's perception is their reality", would just be a better perception if they went into the situation with eyes wide open instead of half shut.

I was expecting a better experience and going forward I'll pay for 'Dooney and Burke' or most likely Chanel. It's not just me who is entitled, you and everyone thats cruises are entitled to a better experience. You've paid for it and you're counting on it for your vacation! Let's just name a few of the simple things: It's NOT unreasonable to expect the Guest Services desk to answer the phone rather than to let it ring. I guess that depends on how long the line is at the desk when you decided to ring. Sometimes you have to wait your turn. It's NOT unreasonable to expect the Ice cream machine to work. Every Carnival Cruise I have been on has had multiple ice cream machines. Were all of them broke? Things have mechanical issues sometimes.It's NOT unreasonable to expect the food to be warm. And sometimes things don't come out as warm as we would like. Did you let your waiter know you were having an issue? All the waiters we have had would work to make it right for us. It's NOT unreasonable to expect a refill of soap in your room after 4 days on the cruise. Again did you let your room steward know you were having an issue with that? People aren't perfect and sometimes need to know if there is something you need.This is not me acting entitled. These are a few of the more simple items where Carnival just dropped the ball.You are right simple items...nothing that would make us be disappointed in a cruise.
Carnival is not 5*. Expecting 5* would only lead to disappointment. I have never been disappointed with any of our Carnival Cruises. Were the perfect? No. But patience, kindness, and realistic expectations go along way in making them perfectly enjoyable.

I was expecting a better experience and going forward I'll pay for 'Dooney and Burke' or most likely Chanel. It's not just me who is entitled, you and everyone thats cruises are entitled to a better experience. You've paid for it and you're counting on it for your vacation! Let's just name a few of the simple things: It's NOT unreasonable to expect the Guest Services desk to answer the phone rather than to let it ring. It's NOT unreasonable to expect the Ice cream machine to work. It's NOT unreasonable to expect the food to be warm. It's NOT unreasonable to expect a refill of soap in your room after 4 days on the cruise. This is not me acting entitled. These are a few of the more simple items where Carnival just dropped the ball.

I understand your frustration, but...

There's more than one ice cream machine on the boat.

You can walk down to Guest Services if it's an urgent question and the phone isn't being answered fast enough.

You can tell the server behind the buffet that the food is cold and they will try to accommodate you.

You can tell your cabin attendant that the soap is low.

However, you can't expect people to read your mind and take care of your grievances. Just let people on the ship know what the issues are and they'll do their best to help you. Sitting here on Cruise Critic complaining about it won't solve any problems for you.

I'm sure this sounds a bit rude (definitely not my intention) but I know internet costs on the boat so I figured it's best to keep it short.

I guess I'm glad that I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. That's made most things in life like the occasional cruise on Carnival pretty darn cool.

I hope our friend enjoys her next cruise line better.

Just found out this cruise is stopping at Costa Maya in place of their missed Roatan stop. This is great news! We were at Costa Maya March 11 on Magic and had a really great time. There is another thread on this forum about lemons to lemonade--read it!

Believe me Carnival does not want to miss port either. It the LAST thing they want to do. It means refunding tons of shore excursions, entertaining guests that had planned to be in the port, employees have to cancel there personal time and go back to work etc... I believe when they cancel ports they have the absolute best interest and safety of there passengers in mind.

I would rather be safe a million times over then to chance 9 hours in a port.