Food sensitivity questions

Due to food sensitivity, I can't have MSG or aspartame.

I know Carnival doesn't add MSG in their dining rooms, but does anyone know about "Guy's Special Seasoning?" or the sauce on the burgers. I'm sure they don't add MSG itself, but it's in a lot of prepared spices like soy sauce and seasoned salt.

Also, does anyone know what the "sugar substitute" in the healthier desserts is?

Thanks!

I believe it's Splenda used in the low cal desserts. You can contact guest services and let them now of your allergies/sensitivities and they will make a note of it for your servers in the MDR. I have multiple severe food allergies and have had chefs on the Lido make me food (they offered!!) when I've asked what's in food. Carnival is wonderful about catering to you about this type of thing. :)

My mother has an MSG allergy. She has alerted the waiters in the main dining room and they in turn have said, "Miss ______, do not order the _________ because of your allergy." Shes never gotten sick in the MDR, but the buffet... Oh my! Also, Guy's burgers is her go to lunch because it's safe. Enjoy!

As for artificial sweetener, I would lean towards it being Splenda (Sucralose) as well. Most people will not cook or bake with aspartame or saccharin as they tend to give off a bitter/metallic taste when heated to baking temps. I would also double check with the head chef as well.

Do you have a food sensitivity or full blown allergy? Just asking in case you are not able to contact head chef, I wouldn't you to be in a life threatening situation in case you were given incorrect information.

As for artificial sweetener, I would lean towards it being Splenda (Sucralose) as well. Most people will not cook or bake with aspartame or saccharin as they tend to give off a bitter/metallic taste when heated to baking temps. I would also double check with the head chef as well.

Do you have a food sensitivity or full blown allergy? Just asking in case you are not able to contact head chef, I wouldn't you to be in a life threatening situation in case you were given incorrect information.

Ugh! This is my dilemma!

After an apparent reaction to shrimp this last year, an allergist confirmed shellfish (crustacean) allergy.

Ever since, I carry liquid Benadryl and 2 prescription Epi-pens.

I don't really doubt my allergist, but it seems almost ridiculous that I could be allergic to shellfish after 40 years of eating! Allergist says crustacean allergy is extremely serious and could be deadly.

Would like to test-eat a shrimp again to be sure it wasn't some fluke but am afraid.

Allergist also says that tests revealed a mild reaction to mollusks (clams, mussels, scallops etc.) but not enough to indicate actual allergy--and I've been eating clam sauce with no problem since diagnosis.

Food sensitivity or possibly life-threatening allergy? Can I ever be sure?

Those with similar experience...

Interested in hearing your response.

Just last week, a California restaurant refused to serve me any seafood at all when I revealed my shellfish allergy. I guess they were playing it safe. Can't blame them really, but my allergist (and personal experience) says that fin fish and mollusks (clams, scallops, oysters etc.) are safe.

Allergies can and WILL develop over time! I developed a peanut allergy at 34 and I know 4 people who this happened to! Do not try shrimp-it is not worth dying over! My allergy got worse with repeated exposure. I love peanut butter-but not enough to die because I miss eating it! Tell them of your allergies and be careful!