NCL Jade Balcony, port or starboard?

brd1121

Planning my first European cruise and want to know which side of the ship would give the best balcony views of the ports: Venice, Dubroniv, Athens, Ephesus, and Split. Like I said, it's my first European cruise but I have been on many caribbean cruises where one side of the ship gets great views, the other just sees the ocean while in port. Any info will help. Thanks.

Took the cruise on Jade b2b in Oct/Nov that hit some of those same ports. It doesn't much matter for that cruise.

Venice: unfortunately we left at 6pm in Oct in the dark so virtually nothing in Venice was lit, very disappointing. But if you leave Venice in daylight you want to be on the port or left side of the ship for St. Mark's but a starboard view is just as nice.

Ephesus and Dubrovnik and Athens are nowhere near where the ship docks.

Split: the Palace is near the port but not distinctive enough to see from the ship.

Fab sites, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Took the cruise on Jade b2b in Oct/Nov that hit some of those same ports. It doesn't much matter for that cruise.

Venice: unfortunately we left at 6pm in Oct in the dark so virtually nothing in Venice was lit, very disappointing. But if you leave Venice in daylight you want to be on the port or left side of the ship for St. Mark's but a starboard view is just as nice.

Ephesus and Dubrovnik and Athens are nowhere near where the ship docks.

Split: the Palace is near the port but not distinctive enough to see from the ship.

Fab sites, enjoy!

It is my understanding that cruise ships Can no longer sail the canal past St. Mark's. Maybe someone can confirm this.

It is my understanding that cruise ships Can no longer sail the canal past St. Mark's. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Not true. The law passed last year banned ships larger than 96,000 tons from using the route along the Giudecca Channel across the end of the Grand Canal and St Marks Square. Jade is under that limit (just) so was not affected at all. Epic is way over the limit.

Italy being Italy has now overturned the ban completely but most cruise companies have already published their schedules. In theory now though the Epic could sail out along that fantastic route

Just a tip - on the very last morning of your cruise, you should get up very early (before 6.00 AM) and enjoy the beautiful sailing in to Venice as the sun is ricing. From a starboard balcony you will then have the opportunity to get some fantastic photo shots of the city before it is filled with tourists. For all the other ports on your itinerary, it doesn't matter if your balcony is starboard side or the port side, but sailaway through Venice will be nicest from a port side balcony - but that does NOT beat the view from a starboard balcony when sailing in to Venice at the end of the cruise.

Not true. The law passed last year banned ships larger than 96,000 tons from using the route along the Giudecca Channel across the end of the Grand Canal and St Marks Square. Jade is under that limit (just) so was not affected at all. Epic is way over the limit.

Italy being Italy has now overturned the ban completely but most cruise companies have already published their schedules. In theory now though the Epic could sail out along that fantastic route

When I first read this I thought it said any ship over 90,000 tons. Looked up Jade and thought it would be over. Thanks for the correction and good news for us. We've been to Venice before, but not via cruise. Actually were there for 3 days, in and out of St. Mark's Square, and never saw a cruise ship leave. Did take ferry over to Murano but of course didn't have the advantage of being so high up.

Bill Weier just did a special on Venice which addresses the issues pertaining to the water and the effect of tourism on Venice. Certainly as a tourist makes you think of the negative impact on Venice, but also the flip side of the financial support for the city. Interesting that their resident population is only 60,000. When you're there seems like must be several million but it's all tourists! Well, as we sail in and out I will try and enjoy the moment and not think of the negatives of doing so.