Increased Federal Tax

Jeep233

Hi all,

I'm told by Celebrity that the cost of my Fully Paid February 06 cruise is now increased because of a change in the Federal Tax. I had paid for my Feb 2006 cruise on Millie (now Infinity) in full only 3 weeks ago. I now have a balance of $31 and change.

Has anyone seen this recently? I ask because of all the craziness over the switch with Infinity.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. I tried posting this earlier today but it apparently did not work. My first post so bare with me.:confused:

Directly with Celebrity, online. When I called I got switch around a few times and was finally told it was due to a change in the Federal Tax.

Quite Frankly, I don't necessarily believe it. Furthermore, I would have appreciated a notice or something since I have an email confirming FULL Payment.

Let me know what you find out.

Actually I don't think there was an increase. I believe there was a Supreme Court decision that stated that the tax had to be applied to the entire fare. So there was a recomputation of the amount due as a result of that decision. That is what is being billed. I do think that they(the cruise line) should have to pay this for fully paid up people. They determined what was due. Took a position that the COurt diagreed with.

Unfortunately, in the cruise industry a fare is never 100% fully-paid. In your cruise contract you'll see some wording about the cruise line's right to collect from you any additional taxes and/or fees levied by the giovernment EVEN IF this happens after you've made your supposed final payment. If you don't pay it prior to sailing it will be added to your shipboard account. This is true of all cruise lines but usually if it's only a couople of dollars they'll maybe eat the tax instead of passing it on. $31 bucks they will certainly collect.

For example, this is from Princess:

"Cruise Fare” means the amount payable by You to Carrier for Your Cruise, excluding commissions and/or discounts. It covers the cruise package, scheduled meals and accommodations while on board and shall include any increases in government fees and taxes, air fees and taxes, fuel, immigration, air programs or other costs which Carrier may add to Your Cruise Fare and charge to your stateroom account and/or credit card."

Archived