PAT's

tbag124

I've never had to choose a PAT on any other cruise before since this is our 1st Disney cruise. The earliest left for my sailing is 12:30. Can you tell me how things will likely go? What time should we/can we really arrive? I believe I read that boarding starts around 11:15. Is it okay to get there by 11:30-12 and hopefully we'd board shortly thereafter? If we get there that early will we be sent to a holding area or something? If we absolutely can't arrive before 12:30, that's fine, I'm just wondering what people do and how this goes...Thanks!

There are multiple threads on the topic. The short answer is you can probably arrive a little early but you will receive a boarding number based on your PAT even if you do. Sometimes the boarding numbers get ahead, sometimes they fall behind...

If you get there at 11:30 its most likely you will not board till 12:15 to 12:45...

I've never had to choose a PAT on any other cruise before since this is our 1st Disney cruise. The earliest left for my sailing is 12:30. Can you tell me how things will likely go? What time should we/can we really arrive? I believe I read that boarding starts around 11:15. Is it okay to get there by 11:30-12 and hopefully we'd board shortly thereafter? If we get there that early will we be sent to a holding area or something? If we absolutely can't arrive before 12:30, that's fine, I'm just wondering what people do and how this goes...Thanks!

Your boarding number is tied to your PAT. If you arrive a little early (15-30 minutes), you might get on the ship a little sooner. If you arrive a lot early, you'll just spend a lot of time waiting and some of it might be outside (depends on the ship and the terminal!).

The idea of the PAT system is to eliminate overcrowding in the terminal and to spread out check in and boarding. If everyone shows up at or near their scheduled time, there is almost no waiting. There are always people with early numbers who experience flight delays or whatever and are not there on time. Thus, people with later numbers can sometimes be taken care of a little earlier.

12:30 is actually a very good time. By then, all the early birds are taken care of and processed and the bus traffic from WDW has not arrived yet. Somewhere near 12:30-1:00, they will announce "open boarding," meaning that the boarding number system is no longer in use and you can board as soon as you are checked in--again means the crowds are managed.

Personal opinion: If I had a 12:30 PAT, I'd show up about 12:00. Any earlier than that will just increase waiting in the terminal.

The other thing you can do is check on line periodically to see if any earlier times have opened up. SOME people may switch times when they experience a change of flight schedule or whatever. Others will get an 11:00 time and keep it even when they realize that a flight landing at 11 doesn't get them to the terminal at 11!

Your boarding number is tied to your PAT. If you arrive a little early (15-30 minutes)' date=' you might get on the ship a little sooner. If you arrive a lot early, you'll just spend a lot of time waiting and some of it might be outside (depends on the ship and the terminal!).

The idea of the PAT system is to eliminate overcrowding in the terminal and to spread out check in and boarding. If everyone shows up at or near their scheduled time, there is almost no waiting. There are always people with early numbers who experience flight delays or whatever and are not there on time. Thus, people with later numbers can sometimes be taken care of a little earlier.

12:30 is actually a very good time. By then, all the early birds are taken care of and processed and the bus traffic from WDW has not arrived yet. Somewhere near 12:30-1:00, they will announce "open boarding," meaning that the boarding number system is no longer in use and you can board as soon as you are checked in--again means the crowds are managed.

Personal opinion: If I had a 12:30 PAT, I'd show up about 12:00. Any earlier than that will just increase waiting in the terminal.

The other thing you can do is check on line periodically to see if any earlier times have opened up. SOME people may switch times when they experience a change of flight schedule or whatever. Others will get an 11:00 time and keep it even when they realize that a flight landing at 11 doesn't get them to the terminal at 11![/quote']

Perfect. Thank you!!

If I manage to get an early PAT for our cruise from Barcelona this summer but then decide to spend more time in Barcelona and board the ship later, is it OK to show up later than the PAT?

Any other tips for boarding in Barcelona would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Gillian.

We've cruised out of Barcelona many times. It is the one terminal where things don't always go the same as they do at many other DCL terminals.

OK, yes, it is OK to show up after your PAT. It is a bit inconsiderate toward other cruisers who may have desired that earlier time, but won't really delay them as your failure to show up will minimally move up their group (by the time needed for your family to board). If you show up after your group has boarded, you'll be allowed to board as soon as you have checked in.

On our last cruise out of Barcelona, boarding did not start till after 12:30. We were on a B2B, so we knew that the ship had arrived on time and things appeared to be smooth. We were required to sit in the terminal for a couple hours (very rare for B2Bs). The terminal is a glorified warehouse and some of the people working to check you in don't know what they are doing. This despite our cruise being in July/August when one would assume they had been working since June. Oh well, they got help and got us checked in.

No matter what anyone tells you, you cannot walk from the Columbus statue to the ship! It is probably 1.5 miles, part of it uphill. Add to that your luggage, and ignore those who tell you that this can be walked. You'll definitely need a taxi or shuttle into the terminal area.

Thanks Mokimommy, we will probably try to board when we get out PAT time although good advice that it is often 12.30 before they board.

We are staying in a hotel in the WTC on the same quay as the Columbus statue and i'd already planned to get a cruise buses that go from there. I agree its a long walk from the terminal to the statue, we've used the shuttle buses before but on day stops rather than joining a new cruise.

Fair comment about being inconsiderate, I'll have to continue to think what time we want, may be preferable to remain in the hotel pool with a view over to the ship than sit in the terminal waiting area, espcially as the weather should be good! :)

Thanks, Gillian.