A favorable and honest review of CB-- Best cruise yet!!!

BeachinBeauty

After we got our purchases, we walked down to the water. It was cold. So, we didn't stay down there long. It actually looked as if it might downpour again, so we headed up to go by the pool in case we needed to run inside to shelter. It never did rain again, though.

A little while of lounging later, it was time to go to the front to meet our shuttle back to the ship. We were told he would be there to pick us up at 2:15. 2:15 came and went. At 2:20, a shuttle pulled up that had the Jamaica tours logo on it. It was identical to the one we'd arrived in. So, we figured that was us. We got up and got ready to get onboard and the driver stopped us to ask where we were headed. When we told him the ship, he said at first that he wasn't there to get us. We were confused because the bus was the same as our first one with the Jamaica tours logo on it. Even the couple we'd arrived with was there waiting to get on this shuttle with us. After some debating with other drivers, the driver of the shuttle agreed to take us back to the ship.

On the way back, the driver offered to drop us in town to shop if we wanted. We weren't supposed to be back onboard until 3:30 and it was only 2:30. I told him I needed cigars, so he said the Taj Mahal was our place. It was literally directly across from the port entrance. We went inside and picked out a cigar and a box of rum cakes. The cakes were $6 cheaper on land for the variety box. Unfortunately, because we'd spent so much on the wooden trinkets we bought at the resort, I was short cash. So, we could only get the cigar before returning back to the ship.

On the way back, there was a (drunken) individual standing on a high chair blowing flames. It was pretty cool, so I took a picture with him and tipped him.

Then, we were back on board. We went to afternoon tea, which had become our daily ritual, and then attended trivia. That evening was the crab shack. We'd been looking forward to trying it for months. I'd forgotten to call in to make our reservation in the morning, so I called after trivia. The earliest we could eat was 8:30.

So, we went walking around. We finally found the shop we'd been looking for that was selling lanyards and things. Technically, this was an open area that, judging by the signs on the walls, used to be a chocolate shop. We had to run up to the ATM and get cash to add to our account, then we returned to make our purchases. We each got a lanyard for our ship card, got my father in law some shot glasses and bought the assorted rum cakes there.

Because dinner was going to be so late, we went to the show in Princess Theater first. This night, it was Al Katz, the comedian, again. He was back for a more in-depth performance than the welcome aboard show. We really enjoyed him. He was hilarious, even though it had to remain family friendly.

From the show, we went up to Caribe Cafe on Lido where the crab shack was being hosted. We were about thirty minutes early, but thought we'd try our luck at getting in. First, we went to the wrong side of Caribe. I was not aware that only one side of Caribe was reserved for the crab shack. The other side was still serving standard, buffet fare. Eventually, we figured it out.

We got seated and that was when I realized this ship was moving. I guess it was the forward, high level, and the scent of shellfish wafting through the air, but I had to put my Seabands on. After about five minutes of sitting, we received water. Another ten minutes later, our order was taken. We received a basket of deep fried shrimp and hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were terrible. We pushed them to the side. We're southerners, and hushpuppies must be done right. Although, it's not really that hard. The shrimp was "okay." Large, but nothing to write home about and very greasy.

After finishing the appetizer, we were delivered the Manhattan clam chowder somewhere in the vicinity of ten to fifteen minutes later. By this time, I was turning green. I barely touched my chowder. It did have a nice flavor, but I do not like clams. The texture is what bothers me. I cannot chew them up.

After a whopping ONE HOUR of sitting in there, swaying to and fro, our food finally arrived. We were both sick but trying to fight it. I put a shrimp into my mouth, chewed it briefly, spit it back into my napkin and told my mother in law we needed to have our food packed up and leave NOW! I like fish, but when I'm queasy I can't stand to be around it. Tasting that shrimp did me in. It was very delicious and super large, but I couldn't do it. The waiter agreed to deliver our food to the room (well, have it packaged to be delivered, anyway). We jetted out of there as fast as possible.

I want to just break into this to say, if you're going to spend money on specialty food, choose Sabbatini's or the steakhouse. The crab shack was just not worth it, to us. It was $20 per person. Service was horrible. The location was horrible in terms of being prone to sea sickness. The appetizer was just "okay." You don't get to choose any other options. You also don't get any other choices besides the Manhattan chowder. I'm not a clam lover, so while the broth was tasty, I didn't care for it too much. The steam pot was good! It really was, but my experience was ruined by getting sick and I could not enjoy it. It was like I had flushed $20 right down the drain :(. Anyway...

Getting out into the open air on Lido helped wonders to reduce my nausea. We didn't take the elevators right by Caribe because I couldn't handle being forward another second. We had to get midship or I was gonna lose it. So, we walked outside on Lido to get to the middle elevators. We got back to the room and I took some ginger capsules, which I had forgotten to do that morning, and waited on our food. It came about forty five minutes later. I still couldn't stomach to eat, even though I wasn't nauseous anymore.

I didn't even bother getting room service or any extra food that night. I just laid in bed and watched sitcoms until I fell asleep.

We were next to get off the ship when they halted the line. Actually, my son was already scanned out. We could hear the radios talk about a spontaneous riot outside the port.

Honestly, we thought we were cursed. We had the Mystic Mountain Bobsled tour booked. We had the same excursion booked 6 years ago, but our ship had to miss Ocho Rios due to high seas. We had been looking forward to the excision back then and thought we were cursed and weren't meant to do it this time either.

I didn't realize they had already let some off the ship before the riot happened! We were so devastated in that moment because we were excited about that resort. Thankfully it ended up panning out for us!

I didn't realize they had already let some off the ship before the riot happened! We were so devastated in that moment because we were excited about that resort. Thankfully it ended up panning out for us!

Three of our group, who were doing the zip line tour were already off the ship and on the pier. Anyone that already got off was being held at the end of the pier, by the excursion building.

Hi

Thanks for your continuous descriptive review. I'm sorry the Crab Shack didn't work out for you. We didn't even try to book it. And, I wouldn't have been able to eat the Manhattan Clam Chowder because it's tomato based. My hubby is pretty particular about his food, but probably would have booked the steak house because I really like steak!! :)

The resort sounded nice. I'm glad you had a good day there.

We have sailed on the Emerald out of Port Everglades twice already so it sounds as if she getting rotated back over there. She is a favorite of ours.

You sound like you've kept yourselves busy on your cruise. I've not gone into a hot tub yet, and probably wouldn't alone, so probably would have felt a bit nervous if the younger folks had come to join me, too. But, like you, would have been happy to talk with them if they engaged in conversation.

Take care for now. I'll check in again, soon. Lynne