Italian Job

We did the Thomson half day trip to Erice which we thoroughly enjoyed. I think you can do it by local bus but for the convenience we took the organised trip. It involved a short coach transfer to the cable car then up to the Mediaeval village. There was a walking tour with the guide, a visit to a lovely church then free time. There is a pretty little square where we stopped for a drink. It's a beautiful village and stunning views over to Trapani but does involve a fair bit of walking. Might be worth checking out the activity level in the Destination Guide especially as it's cobbled streets so might not be what you're looking for.

Trapani itself is lovely - and good to wander around. Beautiful old buildings and architecture, a promenade and small beach. We were there on a Sunday which was very quiet but were quite taken with it as a port of call.

Found this link to a hoho there. Looks quite good.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.thetrapaniexperience.it/open-top-bus-tour-trapani/&prev=search

Edited by kruzseeka

I didn't go on a trip in Trapani, but just had a nice lazy day wandering around the town and the sea front.

I quite enjoyed exploring and as Kruzseeka said there is some nice old architecture to see as well as the more modern working part of the town.

It also amused me that the ship docked right next to the main road, like they were just parking a car!

Thanks a lot for the info. The bus looks good, BUT there is a Costa ship in the same day, so a few people in that day and only 4 buses a day. Think we might meander :rolleyes: and see what we feel like doing. We want to go to Rome and Pompeii or Herculaneum, so perhaps DIY in the other ports.

Beware Erice on a cloudy day. When i went on a Thomson excursion we were in the cloud and could see hardly anything. Plus it was cold!

We were also in a cloud in Erice which cleared just as we boarded the cable car to come down!

Had a nice stroll round Trapani though.

Both Pompeii & Herculaneum are well worth seeing Linda.

I'd wanted to see Pompeii for years, so I had to choose that for my first trip (on my first cruise!) and it was just as good as I'd imagined. It's a huge site though and you only get to see a fraction of it.

Herculaneum is much smaller & more compact, but also better preserved as it was covered by lava rather than pounded by ash. It has a lot of similar features to Pompeii, but also its own stories.

It's difficult to choose which was better now, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

My brother said he preferred Herculaneum as it is, as you say, better preserved. I will speak to him before we go :)

Like Gary we did both - Pompeii first because I suppose it's the more famous and was one of those 'must see' attractions for us. We thoroughly enjoyed it - but it is huge. On another occasion we did Herculaneum (Thomson half day trip) and I was really transported there - as Gary said, it's compact and the buildings much better preserved - more painted murals, more or less intact villas with their courtyard, even charred wooden furniture, scorched balcony rails. But in those streets with the guide describing the lives of the people, the use of the buildings (2,000 year old take-away shops!) it all came to life for me in a way that it hadn't at Pompeii. I could really visualise it as a busy bustling town. Fabulous site to visit.

Thanks Kruzseeka. There is a trip that goes to both, but as it is the day after Rome, which could be a long day, I think not ;)

I would rather do just one and see it properly instead of rushing round two sites.

Just off to help my daughter with her garden :eek::eek: We have had rain this morning, so not sure how much we will be able to do :rolleyes: But tonight we are going out for a girlie meal and tomorrow she is taking me to a spa as a late birthday present for us both :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

We just took the little train which was good as we saw areas that we wouldn't have found otherwise (like the fishing port). We then wandered round the back streets trying various Coffee houses and visiting a couple of stunning Churches. Ship docked right in the centre so very easy.

Thanks Kruzseeka. There is a trip that goes to both, but as it is the day after Rome, which could be along day, I think not ;)

I would rather do just one and see it properly instead of rushing round two sites.

Just off to help my daughter with her garden :eek::eek: We have had rain this morning, so not sure how much we will be able to do :rolleyes: But tonight we are going out for a girlie meal and tomorrow she is taking me to a spa as a late birthday present for us both :)

I would agree. Better do one and enjoy it than try to do both and be so tired it spoils the day. Rome will be a tiring day too so limited objectives the following day is a sensible approach in my book.

Rain gone here, bright and sunny but a chill wind. Still better than the dense fog on Thursday! Hope you manage to get something done in the garden and have a lovely night out - I'm sure the Spa will be a real treat too!!! Enjoy. (And belated birthday wishes! :) )

We just took the little train which was good as we saw areas that we wouldn't have found otherwise (like the fishing port). We then wandered round the back streets trying various Coffee houses and visiting a couple of stunning Churches. Ship docked right in the centre so very easy.
Thanks Brenda, I take it you mean Trappani :) We seem to have moved on to Naples, lol

Hope Ian is doing well, now he is home xx

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Have a lovely Spa session, Linda. :)

We went to Herculaneum and agree with Kruzseeka (she describes it so well). It is also quite close to Naples, whereas Pompeii is much further. I'm pleased we went to Herculaneum as when we spoke to those who had been to Pompeii I got the impression there was a lot of walking between places of interest and little shade. We could find shade easily in Herculaneum and to be honest I am quite fit and was pleased to get back on the bus from the walk back to the car park. Ray was worn out and went back to the ship (we were docked in Sorento) but I spent a couple of hours by myself in Sorento. Loved Sorento so if you haven't been there and get the chance to go, I would recommend it.

Like Gary we did both - Pompeii first because I suppose it's the more famous and was one of those 'must see' attractions for us. We thoroughly enjoyed it - but it is huge. On another occasion we did Herculaneum (Thomson half day trip) and I was really transported there - as Gary said, it's compact and the buildings much better preserved - more painted murals, more or less intact villas with their courtyard, even charred wooden furniture, scorched balcony rails. But in those streets with the guide describing the lives of the people, the use of the buildings (2,000 year old take-away shops!) it all came to life for me in a way that it hadn't at Pompeii. I could really visualise it as a busy bustling town. Fabulous site to visit.

I've been to Pompeii, but not Herculaneum, However I now think I should. I love Italy anyway so it's a good excuse.

Linda I don't know where you get the energy from..........planning another trip already. I only finished the ironing today!:eek:

Best thing to do in Naples is to get out of it.

We had planned to get the train to Herculaneum if M&D didn't want to go around Naples, they did, so we ended up doing that.

Probably for the best as it chucked it down not long after we were back onboard, we would have got soaked at Herculaneum.

In Naples we walked left along the front as I knew there was a lift that would take us to the big square. Got to the top of the lift to find a flight of steps:mad::mad: Luckily this nice Italian couple helped us as we all lifted the wheelchair inc Mum up the steps.

Naples was very busy, full of interesting characters looking like they were about to mug you, there were plenty of police on patrol keeping their eyes on these ne'er do wells. Apart from the big Square and the Umberto Gallery there didn't look much worth exploring, we just walked through the Gallery along the main shopping street and back to the Ship as it was getting very cold.

Agree about Trapani being nice for a walk, we loved Erice, but it is a hike up that main street.

Don't know about Lipari or Crotone, both new ports.

We did the HoHo bus in Naples. We were going to stay on board that day as we had been before but we saw a HoHo bus right outside the port. There were, I think, three routes. We did the one which went north along the coast a bit to the "nicer" suburbs. Lovely views and we saw a totally different side of Naples.