Bozcaada

Hello we're joining Thomson Spirit on 18 May for the Ancient Wonders cruise. One of the stops is a Turkish island Bozcaada which looks lovely but they are offering an excursion to Troy on the mainland which we'd like to do. But we usually do trips independently using either HOHO buses or public transport or occasionally a taxi. So please can anyone advise me on the doability of a trip to Troy or should I just join the Thomsons organised trip? Or perhpas not bother at all? Struggling to find anything on the internet, so hope a previous traveller can help me out. Many thanks.

Edited by cowbag

Hope you find someone can help but think this is a new port to Thomson so perhaps there won't be much information we can offer. It certainly not somewhere we've been before.

Like you we prefer DiY and use local transport when we can but given you need transfer from the island to the mainland to go to Troy that would be one I think we'd just go with the organised tour. You'd get the benefit of a guide too which often helps bring these ancient sites to life in a way just wandering around often doesn't achieve for me.

One thought..... we went to Cannakale which is on the mainland from where they did trips to Troy although we didn't do that one. It is a few years ago now but Cannakale wasn't as developed in terms of tourism as compared with other Turkish resorts like Bodrum, Marmaris etc. I wonder if the infrastructure was there to do independent trips in which case this island perhaps would have even less especially as it seems to be a new destination - at least I haven't heard of it before.

As you haven't been able to pick up anything much on line that may be the case. For example at Marmaris if you searched for trips loads of links to gulet day trips will come up as there's a well developed tourist infrastructure there -no info makes me question what is on this island. Unfortunately from an info point of view, yours will be one of the earliest trips of the season so not likely to get much or any feedback before you go although someone may have holidayed in that area and can give you some specific info.

Hope someone can help but we'd like to hear of your experience of this new destination on your return. It would be helpful for anyone still to go too. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do. :)

Well, you certainly learn things on here! I have just googled it and it looks a lovely place with a fascinating history. It seems to have been occupied by the Greeks and Russians and since 1923 has been part of Turkey.

I agree with Kruzseeka about doing a ship's trip if you are going to Troy. Is it a tender port? If so you will get off first if going on an official excursion.

I had never been to or even heard of Ceuta or Monemvasia before Thomson took me there!

Thomson certainly do go to more unusual places than a lot of the other cruise companies :)

I'd never heard of Bozcadda until I spotted this thread.

Linda - I'd heard about Cueta.

Maybe Spain will handed it over to the Moroccans to support their claim on having Gibraltar back ?

Ooops, sorry, getting political !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan

They weren't very friendly there. Perhaps they thought we might mention Gibraltar. They actually have two enclaves in Morocco, but I can't remember what the other one is called:confused:

Tetuan.

Many years ago on the Costa Brava I spotted a soldier wearing a Fez - turned out he was Spanish Foreign Legion, presumably on leave.

This was when Spain had possession of the Spanish Sahara which they relinquished to Morocco in the 1970's.

Apparently they had a reputation for being tougher than their French equivalent.

Hello we're joining Thomson Spirit on 18 May for the Ancient Wonders cruise. One of the stops is a Turkish island Bozcaada which looks lovely but they are offering an excursion to Troy on the mainland which we'd like to do. But we usually do trips independently using either HOHO buses or public transport or occasionally a taxi. So please can anyone advise me on the doability of a trip to Troy or should I just join the Thomsons organised trip? Or perhpas not bother at all? Struggling to find anything on the internet, so hope a previous traveller can help me out. Many thanks.

I'm going here in July and hadn't heard of it before either.

I'd seen there was a trip to Troy, but I haven't started my researching yet, and hadn't realised it was on the mainland!

This definitely sounds like one where I'll do the Thomson trip, but it would be good to hear your feedback when you get back too :)

Tetuan.

Many years ago on the Costa Brava I spotted a soldier wearing a Fez - turned out he was Spanish Foreign Legion, presumably on leave.

This was when Spain had possession of the Spanish Sahara which they relinquished to Morocco in the 1970's.

Apparently they had a reputation for being tougher than their French equivalent.

Ceuta and Melilla are the two Spanish enclaves in Morocco. I stayed within walking distance of Tetouan about 35 years ago (cannot believe it is that long ago) and used to get a taxi to Ceuta to buy cheap alcohol. We had to go through passport control which was quite scary with many armed soldiers standing by.

Thanks all for your responses. I had a good reply on Tripadvisor with bus timetable etc and its looking like a major expedition so think the organised tour is in order. Hopefully we'll have time to explore the island too so I'll report back on my return! Thanks again for the interest.

Edited by cowbag
more information

• 1 month later...

Ok folks well Im back from my fabulous Ancient Wonders Cruise, and as promised here's my info on Bozcaada and Troy. We took the ship's trip as it was too complicated to organise ourselves. It was the right choice. This is how it went: Its a tender port and this was only the 2nd time that Thomson Spirit went there and no other cruise ships go apparently so the island is pretty excited to welcome all the guests.

We met in the Broadway lounge at 8 am and got off the ship first tender 8:30. Very short walk round the port to the car ferry to travel from Bozcaada island to the mainland (the ferry did involve some very steep steps - but once up on top desk there were plenty of seats both indoors and out and a cafe bar, even with 3 coachfuls of passengers).

By 9 am we were on the mainland baording one of the 3 coaches waiting for us. Its a rural area and there were no taxis or buses in evidence for indepedent travellers. I dont know how often the ferry runs, but once on mainland you would be stuck, unless you'd pre-arranged some transport. Took about 30 minutes in the coach to get to Troy, travelling via canakkale and an agricultural area with lots of small villages.

It was about an 800 meter walk round the site of Troy. The wooden horse is what you see first which is good for photos, then the guide took us round the site, very leisurley walk. It is mainly ruins, with some "reconstruction" but not much so you need some imagination. The guide was excellent and said a few times he wasnt used to such a big group (around 40 of us) but he managed well. It wasnt crowded and we could hear what he said. I'm a but limited on where and how far I can walk but found this very manageable. There were lots of benches and trees for shade along the way. There are some steps. Also some well constructed viewing platforms, with handrails - all felt very safe and well-constructed.

There's an official museum shop, nice clean loos, and a cafe on site which the guide said was expensive but I thought the stuff was reasonable and good quality. We left the site at 12 and stopped off 5 minutes later at a roadside cafe/shop which the guide was was cheaper but I dont think so - T shirts were 25 or 30 TL at both places. We stayed 20 minutes, and by 1:30 we were back at the mainland port. Confirmed there are no cafes or taxis here. The ferry left immediately to take us back to Bozcaada. Then we spent a few hours looking round the very pretty town. There was a craft fair on - I got the impression all the vilagers had come our to sell their ware to the cruise passengeres. There were many cafes with literally 100's of table and chairs outside so I got the impression this island may be very busy in the high season (I was there in May, and apart from the cruise passengeres there were very few tourists around) so maybe it would be easier to travel to Troy then.

So after a leisurely stroll around and buying some lovely wine at a little supermarket, we got the tender back to the Spirit for afternoon tea. So we had a fantastic day and saw both Troy and Bozcaada without havng to orry about getting back on time. Fantastic. Really enjoyed the day, and definitely a trip worth taking. We didnt take any other trips at the other ports - we did them all independently (Istanbul/Athens/Ephesus etc) which again was the right decision for us.:)

Thank you cowbag for that detailed and very informative report on Bozcaada and Troy. I'm sure lots of people will find that really helpful especially as you describe the difficulties of trying to do a DiY trip to the mainland and confirm the organised trip is the better option here.

It's great when people get back as so often advice is sought then once people return and get wrapped up in everything they have to do at home they forget to feed back. As a new port too it's all the more important that the pioneers let us know what it's like! :D Thanks again- much appreciated. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for that write up Cowbag - I'm on Ancient Wonders on June 15th (doing a B2B with the Black Sea) and I was wondering if I would have enough time to see Bozcaada if I did the Troy excursion, so you've answered my question for me!

I've had so many good tips from this forum for my cruises that I've been trying to "give back" recently by posting on threads, so I'll add to this thread when I get back if I can find any information about travelling independently while I'm there - with it being June they might be gearing up for high season.

Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the comments, and glad to have been of help - I too have got lots of info from these boards when planning my trips so hope I have put something back. Having just re-read my post though I'm really sorry for all the typos and spelling mistakes - I was in a rush! Hope you all enjoy this lovely port, it wa a highlight for me.

We were undecided about the trip to Bozcaada but thanks to your excellent review we have decided to book it. We have already pre booked for the Corinth Canal as this is limited availability. Do you have any tips for Istanbul?

We were undecided about the trip to Bozcaada but thanks to your excellent review we have decided to book it. We have already pre booked for the Corinth Canal as this is limited availability. Do you have any tips for Istanbul?

If you are able to walk - DiY here. The port is just across the water from the main tourist attractions, the Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, the Spice market, the Cisterns and Grand Bazaar. It is quite walkable out of the port, turn left, over the Galata Bridge and you're in the tourist hot spot area. Or, you can catch a tram on the main road - you will need some local currency to buy the tokens at the machines or booths by the stop.

I'd advise you to get off the ship as early as you can and if you intend to do the Topkapi Palace, go there first before it gets too crowded and hopefully beat the guided tours. You pay extra to get into the Harem but it's worth it as that is one of the more ornate areas of the Palace.

Istanbul is a great city - plenty to see and quite easy to do independently. From the touristy area if you get a clear sight-line you can see the cruise ships berthed across the water and since that's walkable I always find that reassuring knowing where we have to go to get back and if necessary under our own steam! Enjoy!

That's a great review for Bozcaada - I'll definitely be booking that trip in July :D

Also thanks for the info on Istanbul Kruzseeka. I went there about 7 years ago and did ship's trips then (the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia were excellent), but I remember thinking it looked like you could DIY then, so its handy to know the ships still dock across from the main attractions. I'm going to be more adventurous this time!