Haven on Getaway vs Suite in Gem

missintuitive

I know that many variations of this post have came up. My family and I are taking a multigenerational cruise in Dec (yes, this is so far away... But so close!)

We have the opportunity to cruise on the Gem for 10 days in a 2bdrm suite (non-haven) or 7 days in a Haven 2 bedroom suite. The cruises are the same price. I must admit that I put $$ on both of them since I wasn't 100% sure which cruise to take(one with a reduced deposit). Since I can't do

these cruises b2b I have to make a decision. We have a 70 yo, forty something, thirty something, twenty something, and will be 3yo in the group...a large range. All but one of us have been on a cruise...even the 3 yo has been on 2 cruises.

My question is which boat would you pick and why?On either cruise we will have the UBP(for two the rest soda), UDP, obc, and gratuities for 2passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that many variations of this post have came up. My family and I are taking a multigenerational cruise in Dec (yes, this is so far away... But so close!)

We have the opportunity to cruise on the Gem for 10 days in a 2bdrm suite (non-haven) or 7 days in a Haven 2 bedroom suite. The cruises are the same price. I must admit that I put $$ on both of them since I wasn't 100% sure which cruise to take(one with a reduced deposit). Since I can't do

these cruises b2b I have to make a decision. We have a 70 yo, forty something, thirty something, twenty something, and will be 3yo in the group...a large range. All but one of us have been on a cruise...even the 3 yo has been on 2 cruises.

My question is which boat would you pick and why?On either cruise we will have the UBP(for two the rest soda), UDP, obc, and gratuities for 2passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, I can assist in your decision. In 2014, My family and I were in a 2 bedroom family suite on the NCL Jewell. Prior to that we were in a 2 bedroom suite on the Pearl. Both of those trips were without the Haven amenities.

Most recently, my family and I were in a forward facing penthouse and part of the Haven. I don't know if I could have given such a positive review had it not been for the Haven. The fact that we had our own private decks, with pool, hot tubs, sauna, restaurant, lounge, bar, day beds, waiters, waitresses, personal attention from concierge and butler make this a no brainer for me. You have a wide age range of individuals on your trip. The good thing about being in the Haven, is that you can choose when to do the waterslides and be around all the fast pace activities. Then after your ready for peace and tranquility, you can head up to the Heaven deck/area. There you will be served, fresh fruit at your lounger, served your favorite frosty beverage, or just sit outside while enjoying your lunch, away from the hustle and bustle of 4000+ passengers.

In conclusion, we enjoyed our 2 bedroom suite without the Haven on the prior cruises. Now that we have experienced the Haven, that is what we will book for the remainder of our travel adventures on cruises.

Safe travels.

A few things to consider are location vs. what you will be doing a lot of as well as size of balcony.

In the Haven - the balconies are smallish. So, for everyone to be outside, you may be doing that in the Haven areas.

I'd check that (again, depending on how your group will be using that space).

I've always been in the Haven on the Gem since my DH couldn't get around the ship easily and that area gave us the best of what we wanted...truthfully, I always had my heart on the forward ones (though, just booked 2 Afts for next year for myself).

Enjoy and Happy Cruising!

The good thing is there is not a wrong choice here. Both would be great cruises.

I cruised on the Getaway last year in the Haven and loved it so much I am doing it again this year. A couple of years ago I sailed on the Gem's sister ship, the Jewel in an aft Penthouse suite (not a Haven suite) and loved that also.

Here are a few things I would consider:

Size of the ship - the Jewel class ships are kind of a "medium" size, making them much easier to get around. If any in your group has mobility issues, this might be a factor. The Getaway is much larger and the Haven is forward, so this makes it quite a hike to the aft of the ship.

Entertainment - there are many more entertainment options on the Getaway. There is everything from the Illusionarium to the Ice Bar and plenty in between. There is a lot going on every evening to choose from.

Ports - do you have a preference for Eastern or Western Caribbean? Do either of the itineraries have ports that are new to you?

Length of cruise - 10 days vs 7 days. I admit I would be drawn to the Gem cruise, just for this fact. 3 extra days to relax is very tempting!

The Haven - the Haven courtyard is wonderful, with a much less crowded pool and a nice sun deck with good areas for sun and shade. There are so many good things to mention here. The waiters bring around things like fruit skewers, smoothie samples, cold towels. It is a little slice of heaven. Also, you have access to the Haven restaurant (very good) and bar area.

I think for myself, the 10 days on the Gem would trump everything else. But for the varied age range of your group, the Getaway might well be the better choice. Whichever you decide, you will have a wonderful time!

I agree that the two are very different ships. We sailed an H6 on Breakaway, but never felt the need for a haven suite on the jewel class ships. Personally we found more evening entertainment appropriate for kids on jewel class, but the daytime entertainment (mini golf, water slides, ropes course) better on Breakaway. My kids prefer jewel class kids clubs, since there are less kids and the staff get to know them better.

We were on the Gem for Christmas and New Years, their crew is amazing and I would sail her again just for that reason. The main reason we booked a haven cabin on Breakaway is we knew we couldn't handle the crowds, and we we're right. We've never felt crowded on a jewel class ship.

Definitely not too early to start planning, we just came home from a multigenerational trip to Hawaii and it took a lot longer to plan than trips involving just our family :). It is totally worth it in the long run!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would normally go for the 10 day cruise

But in terms of a true enjoyable family experience I would go for the 7 day haven. Haven't been on the Getaway haven but was on the Breakaway haven and i thnk it is exactly the same.

The haven is a nice sanctuary for the family. It is a more intimate setting and the family can enjoy each other in a relaxed setting and not be mobbed by the pool etc

Edited by maxwellito