Best options for Jacksonville terminal?

no1volman

I would love to find an affordable motel that offered free parking and a shuttle to the terminal in Jacksonville. We found a place like that last year in Port Canaveral and it worked out great. Has anyone had any luck with such a thing? If not, is there another option that's available for parking that would be cheaper than parking at the terminal?

We stayed at my grandparents house before our cruise, but if I am going to give you one piece of advice, it is get to the terminal before 9:30 we got to the ship at about 10:00 ad had to wait for over 2 hours to get onto the boat. If you get there early, you will only need to wait in line for whatever they have outside the terminal, which, IMHO, is the better option. So get to the ship really early.

I would love to find an affordable motel that offered free parking and a shuttle to the terminal in Jacksonville. We found a place like that last year in Port Canaveral and it worked out great. Has anyone had any luck with such a thing? If not, is there another option that's available for parking that would be cheaper than parking at the terminal?

I just came over here to post the same question :)

When are you sailing we are going to on the 4th of May.

Hopefully someone will be able to help us.

We have 46 cruises under our belt but never out of Jacksonville. :eek:

Char

I just came over here to post the same question :)

When are you sailing we are going to on the 4th of May.

Hopefully someone will be able to help us.

We have 46 cruises under our belt but never out of Jacksonville. :eek:

Char

We're leaving June 20th. This will only be our 2nd cruise.

We are leaving on the Fascination out of Jacksonville on May 18.

In the past for our cruises to other ports, we have stayed in Yulee, FL right off the interstate at the Holiday Inn Express. It is only 20 min or so from the Jacksonville Port and is in a great location, just past the FL/GA state line.

We stayed at my grandparents house before our cruise, but if I am going to give you one piece of advice, it is get to the terminal before 9:30 we got to the ship at about 10:00 ad had to wait for over 2 hours to get onto the boat. If you get there early, you will only need to wait in line for whatever they have outside the terminal, which, IMHO, is the better option. So get to the ship really early.

We leave out May 18. I have heard to not get to the port before 10:00 or even 10:30. When does the parking lot open for us to start parking that day?

I don't think there are many parking options at Jax port. We are also on the May 4 cruise and we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express (free with points) and then parking at the port. The parking there is really easy. It's just one huge open lot inside of a fence.

There was a cheaper parking option right outside of the port, but I think they went out of business. All I can say is that I wouldn't have used them, it looked like they had cars practically on top of each other and had problems getting cars out after the cruise.

I have heard of several staying at the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel that offers free cruise parking and shuttle.

I have read in several different places, suggesting NOT getting to the port before 10:30, with some saying 11:00. The posters said that Jaxport wouldn't allow anyone on the property until the entire ship had emptied of it's previous passengers. I have even read reports of people being turned away at the gate by security and told to return later. Anyone been on the Fascination lately, that can respond? Thank you!

I went to the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel website and played around with online booking. If you choose the cruise package, which allows free parking and a shuttle to the port for 2. It's only about a $12 savings versus just parking at the port. So if that ends up being my only options (hopefully something better will come along), the $12 is not a big deal either way. So I wonder which option would allow me to get on the road headed back home the fastest? I would think having my car parked at the port would be faster, but if everyone's trying to leave at the same time it might end up taking longer.

There is a new lot across from the old one that went out of business. We are reserved for 4/20 cruise. I'll let you know if it pans out. The website is : sandlotparking.com.

Yes, please do. That $7 a day sounds pretty good. As long as your car stays safe and there's no issues waiting on shuttle.

And the free parking and shuttle for Jacksonville Plaza Hotel is a joke. It may be a great service but they need to take the word "free" out of the equation. You must choose cruise package when booking in order to get parking and shuttle. That takes the cost of the room from $58 to $120 a night.

You will get hooked just like we did.

I just checked the JACKSONVILLE PLAZA HOTEL & it looks good.

Char

I do NOT recommend the Jacksonville Plaza. We had a bad enough experience there to never want to stay there again.

The hotel appears to be a former Microtel. The rooms are small. They were fairly clean, but the bathroom was not super clean. The baseboards were coming loose and the wallpaper was peeling. The bathtub/shower was not super clean. The included breakfast is not great - packaged bagels, muffins, juice, and coffee.

Lastly, we had a lot of issues with the shuttle. The shuttle tried to lie to us and tell us the ship was late coming in to port (it wasn't, I checked marine traffic and the arrival times) and tried to bump us to a 1:30pm shuttle. When we stated we were going to make alternate arrangements, the 12:30 shuttle was magically available again. (shuttle runs at 11:30, 12:30, and 1:30 and you pick your shuttle time when you check in - 11:30 was gone by the time we checked in).

Overall, the bed was comfortable, the staff pleasant, but I would not stay here again. I would rather cough up the few extra bucks to stay somewhere a little cleaner and with a better shuttle. Be aware - the Quality Inn and Best Western at this same exit use the same shuttle company as the Jacksonville Plaza.

Also, TN RunnerGal - GO VOLS!!!

Edited by tropicaledrink

And the free parking and shuttle for Jacksonville Plaza Hotel is a joke. It may be a great service but they need to take the word "free" out of the equation. You must choose cruise package when booking in order to get parking and shuttle. That takes the cost of the room from $58 to $120 a night.

You always pay more for a sleep park cruise package, since we will be gone ten days plus a nights stay we find it to be a pretty good deal.

In Canaveral we pay close to $200.00 plus pay extra for more than 7 day's.

We do this often just never on the Fascination ;) Also the Miller run rest. next door has a great Happy Hour. I talked to the manager there & it sounds like something we will like. It sure will beat Raddisons lounge prices. :eek:

Char

You always pay more for a sleep park cruise package, since we will be gone ten days plus a nights stay we find it to be a pretty good deal.

In Canaveral we pay close to $200.00 plus pay extra for more than 7 day's.

We do this often just never on the Fascination ;) Also the Miller run rest. next door has a great Happy Hour. I talked to the manager there & it sounds like something we will like. It sure will beat Raddisons lounge prices. :eek:

Char

Springhill Suites also offers a cruise/parking package.

Do NOT try to go to the port until 10:30 or later. They will NOT even let you wait in line......you will be turned around and told to come back later. Until all passengers from the previous cruise are gone no one is allowed in.

This is the one port we much prefer to park at the terminal. While a lot of your hotel chains are located at the airport....that is 10 miles away. Most times your shuttle will be great going to the ship....but it's usually a pain in the rear when you get off and are waiting on a return shuttle. Not worth the hassle to me.

For some reason the Fascination is one of the slowest ships to debark than any I have been on. Every time we sailed it was anywhere from 9:00 to 9:45 before self assist even began.....so just understand that going in and you won't be so frustrated.

It is a good ship with a great crew.......have fun!!!

I drive from TN to JAX and stay near the River City Marketplace to pick up last minute stuff. Nice hotels nearby. Embark day is a nice short drive to the port. Super easy. Get there around 11 AM, drop off bag with porter, walk through, on ship by about 11:45. A couple weeks and the palm trees will be in my sights. Happy cruising.

I drive from TN to JAX and stay near the River City Marketplace to pick up last minute stuff. Nice hotels nearby. Embark day is a nice short drive to the port. Super easy. Get there around 11 AM, drop off bag with porter, walk through, on ship by about 11:45. A couple weeks and the palm trees will be in my sights. Happy cruising.

I'll be coming from TN as well. Is there any particular hotel you like? I assume you park at the terminal?

I'll be coming from TN as well. Is there any particular hotel you like? I assume you park at the terminal?

you can find all of your major chains around the airport, which is about 10 miles away from the port.

We always stay at the Hampton Inn-Airport which is in walking distance to three restaurants....that way we don't have to move our car. It is a very nice, clean hotel and with the free breakfast it's great.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

There is a new lot across from the old one that went out of business. We are reserved for 4/20 cruise. I'll let you know if it pans out. The website is : sandlotparking.com.

Just back from the 5 day cruise. We paid $45 for 7 days. The shuttle over was good with a small wait time. This is a grassy sandlot but certainly adequate. It is just diagonal to the terminal entrance and next to the bridge. The trip back was a longer wait as the prior larger shuttle had to be replaced due to mechanical problems but was scheduled to be back in service for the next cruise. Service was good and the price was acceptable. The owner indicated that he offered good security and had a good relationship with local police. You may want to call or e-mail to learn more.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from Fascination cruise departing May 9. Sandlot Parking was excellent! Certainly more economical than port parking and shuttle service was on time and took less than five minutes to and from ship. According to embarkation employees, a new computer system installed five cruises before ours was still causing problems and long wait times. Our embarkation wait was a nightmare and the worst we have ever experienced in 20+ cruises. Lines were very long and extremely slow moving :eek: