Cruising over Christmas for a Newbie

Thinking of changing up our usual beach vacations for something different this year and finding cruises still available for over the holidays. We can vacataion between Dec. 19 - Jan 2. There would be 2 adults and 2 teens (15 & 17) who do require separate beds, was looking at family suites but not sure if thats the best option or what ship i should be looking at. We just want a caribean cruise and have never cruised before so not sure if a smaller ship would be better for a first experience. I have booked a cruise in the past but sadly had to cancel due to life stuff, but thinking we could still get our warm weather fix but do something differant. We could do a 1 week cruise and then spend the rest on the beach or sight seeing the port city we would leave from.

Is there any tips or tricks to getting the most out of it over such a busy time to travel, or would we be best to avoid cruising over the holidays for our first experience?? Any tips on ships i should be looking at?

Edited by canadianjovigirl

If that is the only time frame you have the cruise will be expensive and crowded no matter one the newer bigger ships or one of the small ones. Lots of families do holiday cruises with several generations.

The Epic, The Breakaway and The Getaway all have water slides and rope courses that you sons would enjoy.

All of the ships will be decorated for Christmas.

I am going to be on The Getaway over Christmas and can not wait.

Yes sadly with kids in high school that is the only time we vacation and are used to the premium pricing. The huge ships seem so overwhelming and I'm not sure if my teens would use water slides etc as I'm sure there's huge line ups. But I'm guessing pools will be just as busy and the only quiet place may be our balcony.

We have done mexico many times, Florida, California, Dominican, Cuba and Grand Cayman over the holidays so was trying to think of something different.

Having cruised over Christmas and New Years before, check the itinerary carefully to see where you will be on Christmas and New Year's Day. Many places shut down almost completely on these days, so you will want to plan accordingly. Last year we were on the Gem for Christmas Day, then at sea for New Year's Day, which IMHO worked out perfectly.

When we travel over the holidays, I prefer either a suite with haven access, or a ship doing a longer itinerary (like the Gem). The haven gives you a quiet place when needed on the big ships, the longer itinerary gives you a group of cruisers that IMHO have a slower pace than the usual 7day trips.

Our first cruise started on New Year's Day and we've continued to cruise over the holidays. It's a great time to cruise, but know that the ships will be full!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Don't think a longer itinerary would work as they are sun-sun and being from western canada we have a full day of travel to get home before back to work on the Monday. I'm seeing haven on big ships only, is that the case or am I missing it on the smaller ships?

Funny how on previous vacations we avoided popular areas when cruise ships were in port, but now considering being part of them. Was fun in a Cayman a few times to hit up the public beach when ships were in as the beach hot so busy we felt like we had the Miami beach vibe going on.

plan to fly to your port a couple of days earlier....the terrible storms disrupted schedules far and wide this winter.....a day ahead might not be enough...I bet your kids will meet other teens the first night and will do a lot of entertaining themselves....try to head west or south....the water in the Bahamas where most of the lines have their private islands may not be warm enough to enjoy.....going out of San juan is memorable and the city close to a rain forest and many other activities...dominica,grenada and some of the less developed islands will offer great tours that should please all of you...the pools on ships are tiny no matter how old or new or size of the ship.....some have an adult area where you can find peace and quiet while your kids are having a blast with their new friends....whatever you decide have a great time!!