1st Time Cruise - MSC Musica

mib150

Hi everyone,

We (me, wife and 2 girls (12 & 10)) are booked on the MSC Musica departing Venice on 24th May for a 7 day cruise.

This is our first cruise so are complete novices.

We have the 'all-in' drinks package so things should be OK with food and drink?

Main queries are - what to pack? Ships dress code? Any experience of this ship?

plus any other tips/advice will be welcomed with open arms!

Many thanks in advance.

MIB

Hi welcome to cruise critic.

I've sailed a few times on the Musica, she is one of my favourite ships. Not too big but big enough to have plenty of facilities.

Be sure to be up on deck on on the port side (left) for the Venice sailaway. It is spectacular and not to be missed.

As for what to pack, for daytime what you'd wear in the Med at that time of year. not sure where you are from and am familiar with the area you will be sailingp in or not? For the evening, mostly smart casual. There will be 2 formal nights and some like me dress up in a long gown and men in suits (few wear tuxedos) others less formal but still dress smarter than ot,her nights.

They usually have a few themed nights like Italian night wherebthey suggest you wear red, white and green. Few passengers do but you can if you want. There will also be a white party night but again not everyone observes this.

Hi everyone,

We (me, wife and 2 girls (12 & 10)) are booked on the MSC Musica departing Venice on 24th May for a 7 day cruise.

This is our first cruise so are complete novices.

We have the 'all-in' drinks package so things should be OK with food and drink?

Main queries are - what to pack? Ships dress code? Any experience of this ship?

plus any other tips/advice will be welcomed with open arms!

Many thanks in advance.

MIB

They say that everyone enjoys their first cruise. It is not that they don't get better but just that there are few previous similar experiences by which to judge it.

My favourite spot on the Musica, which I would waste no time in seeking out, is the wine bar. It is elegant, service amazing, lighting beautiful, it has the best wine glases on the ship and the best selection of wine included in your package. Then every evening before dinner they have different tapas themes (included) and a pianist on the gand piano. I learned to sit within good earshot of the piano but not too close that we couldn't talk. Perfect!

Study the daily cruise programme (delivered to your cabin the night before) over breakfast and mark off the things that interest you. Carry it with you wherever you go. It is easy to forget where and when things are happening.

Lunch in the main restaurant is more civilised than the buffet (which can be a bun fight at peak times).

You can read plenty more about my experience on the Musica with photos in the 'live blog' linked to in my signature below though my itinerary was a repositioning cruise so quite different to your future cruise.

As for packing, Amomondo knows I like to travel light. Concentrate on versatile, smart-casual. The more ways and outfits a garment or accessory can be worn in the more useful it is. I think in scenarios: breakfast/lunch, on deck, going ashore, and dinner with the themes that Amomondo describes. Sensible shoes are a must as there is a surprising amount of walking involved on a cruise.

Depending on your airline and hand luggage allowance, it may be more economical to use the onboard laundry service than pay for hold luggage. Certainly don't take more clothes between you than you can unpack into the limited storage space - that makes everything inconvenient.

Enjoy the anticipation!

Edited by Skipper Tim

They say that everyone enjoys their first cruise. It is not that they don't get better but just that there are few previous similar experiences by which to judge it.

My favourite spot on the Musica, which I would waste no time in seeking out, is the wine bar. It is elegant, service amazing, lighting beautiful, it has the best wine glases on the ship and the best selection of wine included in your package. Then every evening before dinner they have different tapas themes (included) and a pianist on the gand piano. I learned to sit within good earshot of the piano but not too close that we couldn't talk. Perfect!

Study the daily cruise programme (delivered to your cabin the night before) over breakfast and mark off the things that interest you. Carry it with you wherever you go. It is easy to forget where and when things are happening.

Lunch in the main restaurant is more civilised than the buffet (which can be a bun fight at peak times).

You can read plenty more about my experience on the Musica with photos in the 'live blog' linked to in my signature below though my itinerary was a repositioning cruise so quite different to your future cruise.

As for packing, Amomondo knows I like to travel light. Concentrate on versatile, smart-casual. The more ways and outfits a garment or accessory can be worn in the more useful it is. I think in scenarios: breakfast/lunch, on deck, going ashore, and dinner with the themes that Amomondo describes. Sensible shoes are a must as there is a surprising amount of walking involved on a cruise.

Depending on your airline and hand luggage allowance, it may be more economical to use the onboard laundry service than pay for hold luggage. Certainly don't take more clothes between you than you can unpack into the limited storage space - that makes everything inconvenient.

Enjoy the anticipation!

Hi Tim,

Throughly enjoyed your live blog!

It will give a welcome insight on the 'working' of the ship!

Cheers